Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Started in the middle of a back three for Malmo vs Hammarby today. Currently up 3-1 heading into second-half stoppage time. 

They win with that final score. Takes them top by one point having played one more game than second place.

Good sign for Cornelius. Straight back in after a suspension, playing regularly beside Pontus Jannson, who just came back from the Premier League.  

Decent options at that LCB spot if we go that way.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

• 3 weeks later...

It ended up being the winner, 2-1.

Malmo are leader with 5 matches to go, 1 up on 2nd place Elfsborg and 5 up on the next. Fate would have them hosting Elfsborg at home for the final fixture in just over a month.

I see Bustos' team who promoted last year are comfortably mid table.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It ended up being the winner, 2-1.

Malmo are leader with 5 matches to go, 1 up on 2nd place Elfsborg and 5 up on the next. Fate would have them hosting Elfsborg at home for the final fixture in just over a month.

I see Bustos' team who promoted last year are comfortably mid table.

This is pretty sweet to hear. Would love Cornelius to win a trophy and Malmo to be back on top in Sweden where they belong. I don't know if that puts them in UCL proper or in qualifying, regardless they'll be in Europe at a high level. And for Bustos to move up a level to Sweden and not get relegated while being a regular contributor, at 27, after looking to be a CPL lifer? That's absolutely fantastic. I really backed Bustos to do well in Sweden and felt it was the right step up. I am happy how things have gone in his first European season. Not sure he ever gets back with the National Team, but at this point I wouldn't say it's too late for sure. Another good season in Sweden and maybe he steps up another level in time for a push toward the WC squad.

Swedish Champions would enter the first first qualifying round of the Champions League. So the chances they make it all the way to the new Swiss model group stage would be small.

Too bad the Swedish league is currently ranked 23rd and not 22nd, because that is the break point between Champions League Q1 and Q2.

If you lose in CLQ1, you drop down to the Conference League qualification. If you lose there you drop out of Europe all together.

If you lose in CLQ2, you drop down to Europa League qualification. If you lose there you drop to Conference League, etc.

I think some of this could change depending on what Uefa decides to do with Russia, etc.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/AccessList2024.html

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Cornelius and Malmo are up 3-0 late, and assuming they win, that guarantees them a spot in Europe next year. They’re currently first in the league. 

6 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

He goes 90 and it ends 5-0. 

The worst Malmo can finish now is 3rd place, so as @InglewoodJack mentioned, he has qualified for the Europa Conference League.

In their 3 remaining matches Malmo need to play the other two teams that are in the Top 3 of the table so there could be late drama and title chances until the final day.

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The worst Malmo can finish now is 3rd place, so as @InglewoodJack mentioned, he has qualified for the Europa Conference League.

In their 3 remaining matches Malmo need to play the other two teams that are in the Top 3 of the table so there could be late drama and title chances until the final day.

pressure games for Derek  leading up to NL  in Nov

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

I think he's probably not a middle cb in a back 3. If you look at his heat map with Malmo, you might mistake him for a stay at home lb if you didn't know any better. He seems to do a lot of his best work down the flank.

This matches the eye test. He doesn't really look that commanding in the middle. Down the flank (or at least further from the middle) is usually where we see Derek do good things defensively.

6 hours ago, Kadenge said:

iirc he played in a back 4 with Doneil away vs Jamaica in WCQ?  He was also the left side CB with Vitoria in a back 4 at BMO in the 2-0 NL win.  If we go with a back 4 it's btw Derek & Miller.

I don't like having two left footed CBs in a back 4 if we can avoid it. Arguably Miller and Cornelius are our two best CBs, but I would honestly be tempted to roll out Vitoria and if not McGraw, MacNaughton, or Waterman. I don't think the drop off is huge and each of these guys have their own struggles, but if Cornelius or Miller aren't comfortable on their right foot it's going to be problematic.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I don't like having two left footed CBs in a back 4 if we can avoid it. Arguably Miller and Cornelius are our two best CBs, but I would honestly be tempted to roll out Vitoria and if not McGraw, MacNaughton, or Waterman. I don't think the drop off is huge and each of these guys have their own struggles, but if Cornelius or Miller aren't comfortable on their right foot it's going to be problematic.

agree. A back 4 means one of Derek or Miller sits

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Genuine question - why is 2 rcbs ok but 2 lcbs bad?

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Genuine question - why is 2 rcbs ok but 2 lcbs bad?

It's a good question and something I ask myself.

Maybe we are just so used to seeing two rcbs that it's "normal" and since lcbs are more rare it gives the impression that it's problematic.

Or, perhaps rcbs who play left are more practiced since it's a more common thing to see and thus they do the job well enough that it's never an issue or something to discuss. 

Maybe it is a bit of both or something else...What do you think?