Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

51 minutes ago, finchster said:

There was a time when Canada needed to do everything to attract talent to the program, but it is no longer the case.

We are going to a World Cup and hosting a World Cup next time. These are two chances for a player to play in that tournament. Not even top countries can guarantee that they will be in the World Cup twice in a row. 

If that doesn't excite you to play for this country, then nothing will. Good luck guys choosing other nations, but I can promise for the vast majority of players it will be the wrong decision.

Personally, I think we still do. All countries do.  Look at the US and Mexico that are constantly competing over the same dual nationals.  And Mexico pushing hard to sign up Flores who has never lived in their country and barely speaks the language.  Look at Italy at the Euros with Jorginho, Emerson and Rafael Tolói who were all born in Brazil and played on their youth national teams but ultimately were recruited by Italy (after playing in Seria A and being of Italian descent but that's the same as many of our duals).  And Laporte who played youth for France but couldnt get in their senior side and was one of the starting central backs for Spain at the Euros. 

1 hour ago, Markoaleks said:

Still hold a grudge…. Re FT

less so now but he “bottled it”

odds to be called to the World Cup is the photo caption 

523DF86F-2295-4875-9D5D-51911CBEF25C.png

I do still hold a grudge - because it was such an utterly dumb decision with an entirely predictable outcome.  Why commit yourself so early to a team that has a long history of playing EPL-based defenders and is unlikely to stick with you.   Plus the cap-tie itself was uber-cynical by England and it was probably the biggest loss to our national team program in a long long time.  It is 100% schadenfreude but I would be fine seeing him miss out on international footy for the rest of his career.  Petty? You betcha.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I do still hold a grudge - because it was such an utterly dumb decision with an entirely predictable outcome.  Why commit yourself so early to a team that has a long history of playing EPL-based defenders and is unlikely to stick with you.   Plus the cap-tie itself was uber-cynical by England and it was probably the biggest loss to our national team program in a long long time.  It is 100% schadenfreude but I would be fine seeing him miss out on international footy for the rest of his career.  Petty? You betcha.  

I hear ya. You can’t hold it against someone for making their own life decision. Do what you want, right? If his heart wasn’t in it to play for Canada, you don’t want them here. Hopefully we find someone similar to his talent level to break through on the back line. We need a guy like him 

27 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I hear ya. You can’t hold it against someone for making their own life decision. Do what you want, right? If his heart wasn’t in it to play for Canada, you don’t want them here. Hopefully we find someone similar to his talent level to break through on the back line. We need a guy like him 

The reality so that this is a massive ask. He is a starting CB for AC Milan.   That is why I am so petty and annoyed about this one - it would have been huge.  

Don’t get me wrong - out defenders have done amazing throughout WCQ.  This isn’t meant to disrespect them in any way.   But a young, world class CB that could have grown with this group of young attacking phenoms over the next decade?  Goddamn that would have been sweet.  

9 minutes ago, VinceA said:

It was mentioned in the canucks abroad but Apparently Atansov has been called up by Bulgaria U19, granted I can't find any confirmation.

He was on their bench for one of their recent games. Not sure if he saw the pitch

36 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality so that this is a massive ask. He is a starting CB for AC Milan.   That is why I am so petty and annoyed about this one - it would have been huge.  

Don’t get me wrong - out defenders have done amazing throughout WCQ.  This isn’t meant to disrespect them in any way.   But a young, world class CB that could have grown with this group of young attacking phenoms over the next decade?  Goddamn that would have been sweet.  

For sure. It’s a great point. Guys like him don’t grow on trees. I’m just hoping we can someone in the realm of his ability. That would really cement this core/generation 

Like many on here I am not too fussed anymore if players reject our program, we are going to 2 World Cups in a row, are playing some great football and not afraid of anyone, throw in the massive support and program stability and most of these duals are foolish not to play for us! It is easier to say this because of all of the up and coming talent seemingly coming out of nowhere! The program and Herdman should sell itself, we are one of the most exciting stories in world football, in saying that Tomori certainly would have been a good addition but good on the guys who did choose us and are doing a great job!

5 minutes ago, gator said:

Like many on here I am not too fussed anymore if players reject our program, we are going to 2 World Cups in a row, are playing some great football and not afraid of anyone, throw in the massive support and program stability and most of these duals are foolish not to play for us! It is easier to say this because of all of the up and coming talent seemingly coming out of nowhere! The program and Herdman should sell itself, we are one of the most exciting stories in world football, in saying that Tomori certainly would have been a good addition but good on the guys who did choose us and are doing a great job!

reactivating our youth teams will allow Canada to engage these players at an early stage. Herdman believes in youth programs/development,  just don't think the CSA had the funds to spend on our youth teams over the past few years. There's been  a void and some duals haven't had the choice but to play with another nation. That will change now as the funding issues should be at it's end now with Qatar qualification & FIFA money, sponsors, demand for tickets, CR&W and more coming soon...

34 minutes ago, gator said:

It is already the other way around where the majority of posts will be about reluctantly seeing players pick other countries because they simply can't get into the Canadian pool. It is already happening in the CPL. There will always be the odd talent that comes through with choices that will opt elsewhere, even the best nations in the world still loose out to rival nations for players, that will never end. We have hit the watershed moment of turning it around though and have since Phonzie.

Thread coming soon - Dual Nationals: Sorry to see you go but its for the best

25 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

reactivating our youth teams will allow Canada to engage these players at an early stage. Herdman believes in youth programs/development,  just don't think the CSA had the funds to spend on our youth teams over the past few years. There's been  a void and some duals haven't had the choice but to play with another nation. That will change now as the funding issues should be at it's end now with Qatar qualification & FIFA money, sponsors, demand for tickets, CR&W and more coming soon...

Yeah, that’s where that Gatorade bling should help.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

It was mentioned in the canucks abroad but Apparently Atansov has been called up by Bulgaria U19, granted I can't find any confirmation.

He was called up for both matches against Montenegro.   The first match he was an unused sub, and the second match he came on at the start of the second half.

https://bfunion.bg/news/48367/0

Edited by Buchta

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

My favourite thing is seeing guys from the CPL get call-ups to other teams and in the twitter replies I'll see "why isn't he waiting for Canada, how could he leave us!"

and I'm like bruhhh

While I wouldn't agree with those complaints in most instances, I genuinely think Metusala should have waited a little longer. Get a move to another level and you're at the doorstep of the CMNT.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

While I wouldn't agree with those complaints in most instances, I genuinely think Metusala should have waited a little longer. Get a move to another level and you're at the doorstep of the CMNT.

Agreed. But not to his fault. If we had a u23, he would be easily on it Imo.

Just want to note that in the latest Reggae Boyz Commentary video they were talking about Peterborough United's Jonson Clarke-Harris and that he was close to getting his passport and being able to represent Jamaica, that only thing they're waiting on is his grandmother's documents.

What this tells me is Wheeler's talking out of his ass when it comes to eligibility.

This isn't meant to be a commentary on any of the current dual nationals up in the air, or the desire of people wanting to cap-tie them, but what would be the list of players that went from "CAP-TIE!!!" to not factoring into the national team picture shortly after being capped a handful of times?

Other people will know better than me, but I can think of Ferreira, Aird, Tabla, Aleman, Bustos, Busti (is that the name of the Juventus youth GK we capped?). What are some others? I forget if Edwini-Bonsou was at risk of playing for another nation.

Obviously there are others that have definitely made an impact. Hoilett, Vitoria, Arfield, Akindele, Wotherspoon, Eustaquio, and all the others I'm forgetting at the moment.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

This isn't meant to be a commentary on any of the current dual nationals up in the air, or the desire of people wanting to cap-tie them, but what would be the list of players that went from "CAP-TIE!!!" to not factoring into the national team picture shortly after being capped a handful of times?

Other people will know better than me, but I can think of Ferreira, Aird, Tabla, Aleman, Bustos, Busti (is that the name of the Juventus youth GK we capped?). What are some others? I forget if Edwini-Bonsou was at risk of playing for another nation.

Obviously there are others that have definitely made an impact. Hoilett, Vitoria, Arfield, Akindele, Wotherspoon, Eustaquio, and all the others I'm forgetting at the moment.

Busti is still very young. Bustos is still a young player and played some tough matches like vs Scotland and that famous England game even scoring the goal. Aird was amazing vs Scotland. Ballou is still young and I think he’ll light it up for Ottawa and return back to Spain. Those player did make some impact for Canadian soccer even if it was small. We need to cap tie everyone who is eligible, having depth is super key for a strong program. Plus we are going to be losing at least 4-5 key players after this World Cup. Hutch, Vitoria, Wotherspoon, maybe Borjan, maybe Hoilett.