Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

4 hours ago, Corazon said:

Tomori, Ferdi, Marmoush, Cristante, Bounou and possibly Mitrovic would all make our 26 man squad if they represented Canada.  Yankov not likely although we are thin in the midfield.  Maybe Begovic would be included as well.  Flores & Sali not yet anyways.  De Guzman wouldn't likely make our squad anymore either.

Begovic is playing premier league soccer. He 100% makes our squad. 
De guzman is playing for 1st division holland with tons of experience. He 100% would make our squad. He probably would have to pull a hutchinson and spend all of this year prepping for the WC but Kaye has nothing on him. 

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Begovic is playing premier league soccer. He 100% makes our squad. 
De guzman is playing for 1st division holland with tons of experience. He 100% would make our squad. He probably would have to pull a hutchinson and spend all of this year prepping for the WC but Kaye has nothing on him. 

Define "playing" 😆.  He's been a bonafide backup for most of his career since leaving Stoke City almost a decade agao but I agree 100% that he would be there even if he's not seeing the field.  Bounou would likely be our starter and Borjan & him would likely be the backups.

Edited by Corazon

15 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Define "playing" 😆.  He's been a bonafide backup for most of his career since leaving Stoke City almost a decade agao but I agree 100% that he would be there even if he's not seeing the field.  Bounou would likely be our starter and Borjan & him would likely be the backups.

Touche..... The good news is, you cant question the mans ability to warm the bench. If we need any seats warmed in qatar, i know who id take.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

If we had Tomori and Cristante, two high quality players in positions of need for Canada....

*swoon*

A bit of bad luck or unfortunate timing in both cases. Chelsea had a spending restriction the year Lampard played Tomori as they couldn't sign any players. Soon after that was lifted Fikayo was moved to AC Milan. He would have played with the England youth teams but I don't think he would have been called to the seniors if he didn't play for Chelsea that season.  Italy had an injury issue in midfield when Cristante was called up and the rest is history. Could have been a very different story line  

12 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

A bit of bad luck or unfortunate timing in both cases. Chelsea had a spending restriction the year Lampard played Tomori as they couldn't sign any players. Soon after that was lifted Fikayo was moved to AC Milan. He would have played with the England youth teams but I don't think he would have been called to the seniors if he didn't play for Chelsea that season.  Italy had an injury issue in midfield when Cristante was called up and the rest is history. Could have been a very different story line  

On Tomori, I blame Fat Frank.  But I would blame Fat Frank for bad weather, if I could.

22 hours ago, Corazon said:

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it was interesting and I'm wondering if many recent dual nationals regret their decisions.  I say this on just seeing that Tomori was somehow left off our England's World Cup squad.  It's interesting to note how almost every dual national that rejected Canada is either not included in their World Cup squads or their country did not qualify like Canada did.  I'm not sure how Mitrovic makes Serbia's World Cup squad on merit, but I do feel like he may be included as one of the last players as a reward for committing to Serbia.

Tomori (England) - Left off of England's squad for Qatar.  Only 3 caps and turning 24 in December.  Obviously would be a huge addition if he was on Canada.

Kadioglu (Turkey) - Has become a regular with the Turkish National Team but Turkey did not qualify for Qatar and would likely be in our 26-man squad for Qatar.

Mitrovic (Serbia) - Edit - Mitrovic did make the final 26 man squad for Serbia.

Flores (Mexico) - Excluded from Mexico's preliminary roster for Qatar.  Continues to struggle in the Spanish 2nd division and likely would not be included in our 26 man squad as well.

Yankov (Bulgaria) - Has become a regular for Bulgaria since choosing to represent them.  Bulgaria too will not be in Qatar.  Would be a fringe player for us at best and not likely included in our 26 man squad.

Sali - (Romania) - Has not received a call up to Romania in over a year and Romania also did not qualify to Qatar.  He would be nowhere near our squad at the moment as well.

Edit: Marmoush (Egypt) - I knew there was one more recent dual that we missed out on.  Marmoush has become a regular for Egypt already but like many others above, Egypt did not qualify to Qatar.  He would also likely be included in our 26-man squad.

Edit: Halbouni (Syria) - Forgot about Halbouni as well.  Recently played for Syria in a friendly and I believe tore his ACL.  Syria did not qualify for Qatar as well.  Although still eligible for Canada, he has not been able to take the next step in his career and would not be on our 26 man roster either.

Bonus - Including the players below as they are the dual nationals still regularly called to their national programs.

Bounou - (Morocco) - Chose to represent Morocco several years ago and has established an solid international career.  Only included him here because he was born in Canada and will be in Qatar with Morocco.  He also would be included in our squad if he chose to represent Canada.

Cristante - (Italy) - Another dual that chose to represent Italy a long time ago.  He has also established a solid international career with Italy but Italy did not qualify for Qatar.  Another player that would be a huge addition of he did choose Canada.

Is there anyone else I'm missing? 

I'm referring to players that we either could have used in our program today or young rising talent with the potential to represent Canada in the future.  I did not include players like Welshman for Guyana or Ryan Telfair with T&T.

Update - Stefan Mitrovic was not included in the 26 man squad for Serbia.

That means that every recent dual national we lost out on, either did not make their country’s final 26 man squad or their country did not qualify for Qatar.  Excluding Cristante and Bounou who were lost a long time ago.

Tomori - Not included for England

Mitrovic - Not included for Serbia

Flores - Not included for Mexico

Kadioglu - Did not qualify with Turkey

Marmoush - Did not qualify with Egypt

Yankov - Did not qualify with Bulgaria

Sali - Did not qualify with Romania

Halbouni - Did not qualify with Syria

Edited by Corazon

28 minutes ago, Corazon said:

That means that every recent dual national we lost out on, either did not make their country’s final 26 man squad or their country did not qualify for Qatar.  Excluding Cristante and Bounou who were lost a long time ago.

Update-

Cristante did not qualify with Italy.... sorry... it feels fun to say though!

I am highly doubtful about how allegedly regretful Cristante would be knowing he was a Euro 2020 winner with Italy and played a crucial part in the equalizer in the final which ultimately led them to the championship. I have a funny feeling he's not spending every day thinking  "Even though I was born in Italy and lived here all my life, if only I had chosen to play for Canada instead, that historic moment of international glory and victory I achieved for my homeland never would have happened!" while banging his head against the wall in frustration.

And it's not like he's done with the Azzurri and has no chance to be with the team for 2026.

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I am highly doubtful about how allegedly regretful Cristante would be knowing he was a Euro 2020 winner with Italy and played a crucial part in the equalizer in the final which ultimately led them to the championship. I have a funny feeling he's not spending every day thinking  "Even though I was born in Italy and lived here all my life, if only I had chosen to play for Canada instead, that historic moment of international glory and victory I achieved for my homeland never would have happened!" while banging his head against the wall in frustration.

And it's not like he's done with the Azzurri and has no chance to be with the team for 2026.

I don't think anyone on here has suggested that Cristante regrets his decision to represent Italy.  He's had a very solid career with Italy, as has Bounou with Morocco.

13 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I don't think anyone on here has suggested that Cristante regrets his decision to represent Italy.  He's had a very solid career with Italy, as has Bounou with Morocco.

You may not have, but that's the implication if he gets added (by others) on a list of people who didn't qualify for the 2022 World Cup who thus might be regretting their decisions.

Serbia really said there's only room for one Stefan Mitrovic on their World Cup roster, and it's not the one whose dad has twitter fingers:

Make the call Herdman.

Ivan tweeted out serbia's 35 man short list which Mitrovic made. Having been to Serbia in November, I can assure you that Qatar has better weather, and it's a shame he won't be able to take advantage of that heat.

Edited by InglewoodJack

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Serbia really said there's only room for one Stefan Mitrovic on their World Cup roster, and it's not the one whose dad has twitter fingers:

Make the call Herdman.

Ivan tweeted out serbia's 35 man short list which Mitrovic made. Having been to Serbia in November, I can assure you that Qatar has better weather, and it's a shame he won't be able to take advantage of that heat.

Going to be a real challenge for him to crack that roster with any sort of regularity (I’m sure he’ll get some cynical cap calls at some point).

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Going to be a real challenge for him to crack that roster with any sort of regularity (I’m sure he’ll get some cynical cap calls at some point).

Serbia has enough depth that they can give some of their better players some breaks during Nations League and rely more on guys like Mitrovic, etc., but for the World Cup and the Euros, you are probably right.

With Mitrovic's trajectory, I look at a player like Marko Grujic- first capped as a 19 year old on Red Star, immediately went to Liverpool, made the World Cup roster at 22, flamed out of the premier league, now is at a very excellent club in Porto, but no longer in Serbia's national team plans at 26. Oh, and he lost his starting spot to Stephen Eustaquio, but that's just unrelated/funny. Grujic isn't a dual, so it just is what it is with him, but with just a single appearance in Nations League and not even making the World Cup roster, I am wondering what this "Deal" that their federation made with the Mitrovics. With how our midfield looked today, he would have such a great opportunity to get a lot of attention from scouts by playing for Canada.

30 minutes ago, toontownman said:

There is a whole glut of youngsters that are close but will miss out for the WC across the world. The renewal and squad revamp proceas will happen after the WC.

Mitro likely wouldn't have made our WC team either.

I think he’s good enough for us, for sure. We can always use another midfielder who scores goals.

4 hours ago, imoffside said:

A player playing for the biggest club in Serbia wouldn't make it? Highly disagree

Sure, I don't think he isn’t good enough. I wanted him to get the call for the past year, nearly two. I just don't think we have been interested in him enough and certainly not enough to displace one of Herdmans favorites.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, Corazon said:

CANMNT needs to use this as their marketing campaign.  "The CANMNT refusal jinx", it's a real thing.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, Corazon said:

I think Tomori and Kadioglu would have been sure fire inclusions in our squad (barring injuries).

You have to assume Marmoush too given the fact that he’s a starter in the Bundesliga (he pushes out one of Cav or Ugbo presumably ?)

Unlike most posters here I think it’s likely that both Flores and Mitrovic would have made the squad. Especially with the hard press Herdman put on recruiting Flores

42 minutes ago, P-O said:

Probably a stupid question, but could Tomori file a 1 time switch once his 3 years are done? 

Could he play for Canada in 2024 for example ?

No, since he played in a competitive match (Nations League) this year for England after he turned 21, he's now ineligible to switch.

Edited by rydermike