Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

Yes, that rule changed. As long as he wasn't older than 21 when he played the youth games he can represent a new county of residence after 5 years of residency there.

You’re confused - the relevant rule didn’t change and @SthMelbRedis correct. 

He must have been Canadian when he represented Scotland. He wasn’t and therefore Ryan Gauld can never play for Canada - period. 

If he were, then yes he would be eligible. There’s no way the “Twitter experts” like GlassCity don’t realize this - they’re just trying to get him a Scotland call. 

Source: https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/b98d35fc16dc274b/original/elcthdgwfgx7dcxdenas-pdf.pdf page 12 

Edited by CanadaFan123

38 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You’re confused - the relevant rule didn’t change and @SthMelbRedis correct. 

He must have been Canadian when he represented Scotland. He wasn’t and therefore Ryan Gauld can never play for Canada - period. 

If he were, then yes he would be eligible. There’s no way the “Twitter experts” like GlassCity don’t realize this - they’re just trying to get him a Scotland call. 

Source: https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/b98d35fc16dc274b/original/elcthdgwfgx7dcxdenas-pdf.pdf page 12 

Not sure what you are quoting from in there.

Here is my understanding of what would apply

"A request to change association may be granted only in the following circumstances:

b) the player:

i) was fielded in a match in an official competition at any level (with the exception of “A” international level) in any kind of football for his current association;

ii) at the time of being fielded for his first match in an official competition in any kind of football for his current association, he did not hold the nationality of the association which he wishes to represent;

iii) at the time of being fielded for his last match in an official competition in any kind of football for his current association, he had not turned 21 years old;

and

iv) meets any of the requirements provided in article 6 or article 7.

The section 7 requirement that seems to apply

"d) He has lived on the territory of the relevant association:

iii) for players that began living on the territory from the age of 18: at least five years."

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/ccab990abf45fcf6/original/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi-pdf.pdf

Edit explanation:  My understand from reading the sections before and after is that the - had to hold nationality at the time - thing applies if you got non-senior caps after 21 or the limited senior caps (3) before 21.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure what you are quoting from in there.

Here is my understanding of what would apply

"A request to change association may be granted only in the following circumstances:

b) the player:

i) was fielded in a match in an official competition at any level (with the exception of “A” international level) in any kind of football for his current association;

ii) at the time of being fielded for his first match in an official competition in any kind of football for his current association, he did not hold the nationality of the association which he wishes to represent;

iii) at the time of being fielded for his last match in an official competition in any kind of football for his current association, he had not turned 21 years old;

and

iv) meets any of the requirements provided in article 6 or article 7.

The section 7 requirement that seems to apply

"d) He has lived on the territory of the relevant association:

iii) for players that began living on the territory from the age of 18: at least five years."

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/ccab990abf45fcf6/original/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi-pdf.pdf

Edit explanation:  My understand from reading the sections before and after is that the - had to hold nationality at the time - thing applies if you got non-senior caps after 21 or the limited senior caps (3) before 21.  

Maybe you’re not seeing the same source as I posted from my mobile but you’ve essentially nailed it. Gauld can never be eligible for Canada. 

10 hours ago, Shway said:

Aymeric Laporte was always eligible for Spain before he played for France. So this again doesn’t clear explain it. 

Not sure why he used that example then; Gauld was well below 21 from what I can see when he played his last Scotland game. No exception to the rule needed.

Edit: To try to actually be clear * - I believe Gauld would be eligible after he has spent 5 years in Canada. 

@CanadaFan123, I am actually respectfully disagreeing with you.

This is based on him fulfilling the requirements under Section 9b of FIFA's Rules Governing Eligibility to Play for Representative Teams. In my understanding at least. 

That rule, which I quoted in a post above and Glass paraphrased,  says that in cases where : 1) the player never played after being 21, and  2) never played in an "A" international match - being eligible at the time is not required. 

"ii) at the time of being fielded for his first match in an official competition in any kind of football for his current association, he did not hold the nationality of the association which he wishes to represent;"

*I was working late on something else and trying to post at the same time.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

Thanks @Xavier.

TBH this is all a moot point. 
Guald has a long time to go...and things can change with the Whitecaps!

Anyone interested in Jake Nerwinski, or a Rudy Camacho 🤭?

Definitely one for the back burner but moot is overstating it a bit, I think.  We talk about what we need for 2026 all the time, depending when he took up residency, he could just squeak under the wire.  Are we too good for MLS players at that point (he would need to stay in Canada)? 

Still has a chance of becoming relevant, if a very small one, and we have speculated about less likely duals in the past. 

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Definitely one for the back burner but moot is overstating it a bit, I think.  We talk about what we need for 2026 all the time, depending when he took up residency, he could just squeak under the wire.  Are we too good for MLS players at that point (he would need to stay in Canada)? 

Still has a chance of becoming relevant, if a very small one, and we have speculated about less likely duals in the past. 

By moot, I mean hypothetical. 
The reality is he could be gone before he's stayed long enough. 

I've done this too many times with guys in the past, only for them to leave and thats it.
Trust me I don't think we are too good for D2 dutch players...

7 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Don’t know about if he’s eligible, but if he is, it would be August 2026, after the World Cup. He was signed in July 2021, not January. Bad timing.

I'm confused why the article says he is eligible at the end of his contract next year. Is the article incorrect or does anyone know if he could be eligble as early as 2023?

13 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Don’t know about if he’s eligible, but if he is, it would be August 2026, after the World Cup. He was signed in July 2021, not January. Bad timing.

I checked an immigration site. Itt states four years residency, not 5, as a requirement for citizenship.

Requirements For Becom Canadian Citizenship (thevisa.ca)

Oddly enough the gover't site claims three years 

What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen? (cic.gc.ca)

Edited by Sal333

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I checked an immigration site. Itt states four years residency, not 5, as a requirement for citizenship.

Requirements For Becom Canadian Citizenship (thevisa.ca)

Oddly enough the gover't site claims three years 

What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen? (cic.gc.ca)

FIFA requires 5 years. 

And World Cup  2026 starts in June 

So my thought that he might be able to squeak in seems wishful thinking.

Even if he gets the amount of days in time, do soccer player gets a passport the quick route?

You need 1095 days in Canada in a 5 years period, and the days before you are permanent resident only counts as 0.5.

Even if he gets the 1095, he will need to do the language test, the citizenship test, fill a ton of paperwork and wait...wait...wait...wait...wait. Unless Soccer players get a favorable treatment and are given a passport straight away.

He'll never play for us, he'll be back in Scotland setup for the next cycle.

8 minutes ago, P-O said:

Even if he gets the amount of days in time, do soccer player gets a passport the quick route?

You need 1095 days in Canada in a 5 years period, and the days before you are permanent resident only counts as 0.5.

Even if he gets the 1095, he will need to do the language test, the citizenship test, fill a ton of paperwork and wait...wait...wait...wait...wait. Unless Soccer players get a favorable treatment and are given a passport straight away.

He'll never play for us, he'll be back in Scotland setup for the next cycle.

Come on, Scottish and English aren’t that different until drinks are involved

6 minutes ago, jordan said:

Come on, Scottish and English aren’t that different until drinks are involved

Still someone from France needs to pass that French test to immigrate in Québec. The beauty of it, is that the test is made in France. It's how ridiculous our system is.

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

Lol. First Ancelotti. Now this 

I really don't what detemines residency and its probably different for FIFA and Canada.  Canada, maybe under Mulroney, gave citizenship to the arms dealer that gave his named to the Said Business School, that I lived near when I first moved here. Said had an apartment in Toronto he visited every once in a while, if I remember correctly. 

25 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I really don't what detemines residency and its probably different for FIFA and Canada.  Canada, maybe under Mulroney, gave citizenship to the arms dealer that gave his named to the Said Business School, that I lived near when I first moved here. Said had an apartment in Toronto he visited every once in a while, if I remember correctly. 

The owner of the Brooklyn Nets, Joe Tsai is Canadian, however, I can’t really find much info about him having a significant presence in Canada.

either way, Giovinco can’t play for Canada. Mainly because he has been capped 25 times by Italy and also, he is retired. If you’re doing ads for Canada you should know our team is good enough to field a roster of active players!!