Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

So a couple months ago we had a discussion on another player, and I went through the whole FIFA switch document and summarized it, but never posted it, just because it was so long. I can post it if anyone's interested. I just don't want to bog down the page with a bunch of text

I still think something like that deserves it's own locked and stickied thread so that its easy to refer back to.

“The owner of the Brooklyn Nets, Joe Tsai is Canadian, however, I can’t really find much info about him having a significant presence in Canada.”

he spends a lot of time in Hong Kong and I used to see him quite a bit on the conference circuit here.  A nice guy actually. Made all his money as Jack Ma’s number two at Alibaba I believe. He is a big lacrosse fan so I assume he spent sufficient time in Canada to get into that. I believe he owns one the pro lacrosse teams

Edited by An Observer
Grammar

7 minutes ago, An Observer said:

“The owner of the Brooklyn Nets, Joe Tsai is Canadian, however, I can’t really find much info about him having a significant presence in Canada.”

he spends a lot of time in Hong Kong and I used to see him quite a bit on the conference circuit here.  A nice guy actually. Made all his money as Jack Ma’s number two at Alibaba I believe. He is a big lacrosse fan so I assume he spent sufficient time in Canada to get into that. I believe he owns one the pro lacrosse teams

Is Jack Ma still missing?

On 11/2/2022 at 12:30 PM, Shway said:

By moot, I mean hypothetical. 
The reality is he could be gone before he's stayed long enough. 

I've done this too many times with guys in the past, only for them to leave and thats it.
Trust me I don't think we are too good for D2 dutch players...

Yeah, this. I don't want to start even a 2 year countdown, much less a 4 year countdown. We need him to stay in Canada all that time, and then after that time be eligible and want to play for Canada, and be good enough at that time. I'm not saying he isn't good enough now, I barely know the player but he seems very good. But 4 years is a long time. I think someone said he will be 31 by then, so he could regress in that time. And for all we know other players might emerge in those 4 years as well that could be ahead of him. Even the eligibility rules could change in a 4 year span.

If we get inside a year and he is still on track for eligibility and good enough and interested, cool, I might start picturing him in a Canada jersey.

17 hours ago, An Observer said:

Apparently he owns properties in Vancouver but everything about him says he grew up in Taiwan, went to school in the US, made his money in china with Alibaba and now lives in NYC.  He learned about and played lacrosse at the prep school he went to in NJ. He owns a lacrosse team in Vegas with Steve Nash and Gretzky.

18 hours ago, rydermike said:

So a couple months ago we had a discussion on another player, and I went through the whole FIFA switch document and summarized it, but never posted it, just because it was so long. I can post it if anyone's interested. I just don't want to bog down the page with a bunch of text

You should post it. we’ve had this discussion so many times and so many parts of the fifa guidelines are tough to synthesize, it would be an easy resource to call on for the next Tom Holmes that comes our way.

18 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I still think something like that deserves it's own locked and stickied thread so that its easy to refer back to.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

You should post it. we’ve had this discussion so many times and so many parts of the fifa guidelines are tough to synthesize, it would be an easy resource to call on for the next Tom Holmes that comes our way.

Ok I posted it

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it was interesting and I'm wondering if many recent dual nationals regret their decisions.  I say this on just seeing that Tomori was somehow left off our England's World Cup squad.  It's interesting to note how almost every dual national that rejected Canada is either not included in their World Cup squads or their country did not qualify like Canada did.  I'm not sure how Mitrovic makes Serbia's World Cup squad on merit, but I do feel like he may be included as one of the last players as a reward for committing to Serbia.

Tomori (England) - Left off of England's squad for Qatar.  Only 3 caps and turning 24 in December.  Obviously would be a huge addition if he was on Canada.

Kadioglu (Turkey) - Has become a regular with the Turkish National Team but Turkey did not qualify for Qatar and would likely be in our 26-man squad for Qatar.

Mitrovic (Serbia) - Edit - Mitrovic did make the final 26 man squad for Serbia.

Flores (Mexico) - Excluded from Mexico's preliminary roster for Qatar.  Continues to struggle in the Spanish 2nd division and likely would not be included in our 26 man squad as well.

Yankov (Bulgaria) - Has become a regular for Bulgaria since choosing to represent them.  Bulgaria too will not be in Qatar.  Would be a fringe player for us at best and not likely included in our 26 man squad.

Sali - (Romania) - Has not received a call up to Romania in over a year and Romania also did not qualify to Qatar.  He would be nowhere near our squad at the moment as well.

Edit: Marmoush (Egypt) - I knew there was one more recent dual that we missed out on.  Marmoush has become a regular for Egypt already but like many others above, Egypt did not qualify to Qatar.  He would also likely be included in our 26-man squad.

Edit: Halbouni (Syria) - Forgot about Halbouni as well.  Recently played for Syria in a friendly and I believe tore his ACL.  Syria did not qualify for Qatar as well.  Although still eligible for Canada, he has not been able to take the next step in his career and would not be on our 26 man roster either.

Bonus - Including the players below as they are the dual nationals still regularly called to their national programs.

Bounou - (Morocco) - Chose to represent Morocco several years ago and has established an solid international career.  Only included him here because he was born in Canada and will be in Qatar with Morocco.  He also would be included in our squad if he chose to represent Canada.

Cristante - (Italy) - Another dual that chose to represent Italy a long time ago.  He has also established a solid international career with Italy but Italy did not qualify for Qatar.  Another player that would be a huge addition of he did choose Canada.

Is there anyone else I'm missing? 

I'm referring to players that we either could have used in our program today or young rising talent with the potential to represent Canada in the future.  I did not include players like Welshman for Guyana or Ryan Telfair with T&T.

Edited by Corazon

28 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it was interesting and I'm wondering if many recent dual nationals regret their decisions.  I say this on just seeing that Tomori was somehow left off our England's World Cup squad.

Tomori (England) - Left off of England's squad for Qatar.  Only 3 caps and turning 24 in December.  Obviously would be a huge addition if he was on Canada.

Kadioglu (Turkey) - Has become a regular with the Turkish National Team but Turkey did not qualify for Qatar and would likely be in our 26-man squad for Qatar.

Mitrovic (Serbia) - To be determined.

Flores (Mexico) - Excluded from Mexico's preliminary roster for Qatar.  Continues to struggle in the Spanish 2nd division and likely would not be included in our 26 man squad as well.

Yankov (Bulgaria) - Has become a regular for Bulgaria since choosing to represent them.  Bulgaria too will not be in Qatar.  Would be a fringe player for us at best and not likely included in our 26 man squad.

Sali - (Romania) - Has not received a call up to Romania in over a year and Romania also did not qualify to Qatar.  He would be nowhere near our squad at the moment as well.

Bonus

Bounou - (Morocco) - Chose to represent Morocco several years ago and has established an solid international career.  Only included him here because he was born in Canada and will be in Qatar with Morocco.  He also would be included in our squad if he chose to represent Canada.

Cristante - (Italy) - Another dual that chose to represent Italy a long time ago.  He has also established a solid international career with Italy but Italy did not qualify for Qatar.  Another player that would be a huge addition of he did choose Canada.

I'm referring to players that we either could have used in our program today or young rising talent with the potential to represent Canada in the future.  I did not include players like Welshman for Guyana or Ryan Telfair with T&T.

The last 2 will have no regrets.

i think some of the guys above like Flores may eventually but it’s too early.

21 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought it was interesting and I'm wondering if many recent dual nationals regret their decisions.  I say this on just seeing that Tomori was somehow left off our England's World Cup squad.

Which duals are all missing and could be coming with us?
tomori

ferdi

Most likely mitrovic
Yankov? Anyone know if he would make our WC squad ?

sali - no.... i doubt he would make our squad
flores- would he make our squad currently? Probably
Marmoush? idk much about him but sounds like he would make our squad? 

This could be our world cup line up

Begovic
Miller Tomori Cristante
Buchanan staq Huth Ferdi
J. de guzman
Davies David 

27 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Mitrovic (Serbia) - To be determined.

Bonus

I think the only ones who may have regrets at this point are Yankov, Sali and Tomori.

Does Sali still have the ability to make the switch in a few years time since he's only played for Romania once? That cap in particular seemed like a defense mechanism from Romania.

Yankov purely due to the rise in Canada's profile relative to Bulgaria. Tomori, because of the continuous snubs and the fact he was already in our program.

You could add Omar Marmoush to the group. Egypt didn't make this World Cup, but I view him similarly to Kadioglu. Likely a key player for years to come, within a program that should be able to qualify for the occassional major tournament.

5 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Which duals are all missing and could be coming with us?
tomori

ferdi

Most likely mitrovic
Yankov? Anyone know if he would make our WC squad ?

sali - no.... i doubt he would make our squad
flores- would he make our squad currently? Probably
Marmoush? idk much about him but sounds like he would make our squad? 

This could be our world cup line up

Begovic
Miller Tomori Cristante
Buchanan staq Huth Ferdi
J. de guzman
Davies David 

Tomori, Ferdi, Marmoush, Cristante, Bounou and possibly Mitrovic would all make our 26 man squad if they represented Canada.  Yankov not likely although we are thin in the midfield.  Maybe Begovic would be included as well.  Flores, Halbouni & Sali not yet anyways.  De Guzman wouldn't likely make our squad anymore either.

Edited by Corazon

5 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I think the only ones who may have regrets at this point are Yankov, Sali and Tomori.

Does Sali still have the ability to make the switch in a few years time since he's only played for Romania once? That cap in particular seemed like a defense mechanism from Romania.

Yankov purely due to the rise in Canada's profile relative to Bulgaria. Tomori, because of the continuous snubs and the fact he was already in our program.

You could add Omar Marmoush to the group. Egypt didn't make this World Cup, but I view him similarly to Kadioglu. Likely a key player for years to come, within a program that should be able to qualify for the occassional major tournament.

Sali - can still be eligible for Canada so its hard to say if he regrets it yet.

Flores - too early to be determined if he regrets his decision but I think he will.

Halbouni - too early to determine but he may see the writing on the wall with playing for Canada Internationally.

Marmoush & Kadioglu - Both will have good international careers with Egypt & Turkey and will likely play in major tournaments in the future so I see no regret in their decisions. 

Tomori - I believe the same will still hold true for Tomori as well with England.  He will lead England during their next cycle.  But he has to now feel like those call ups were a cap tie game and that might bother him a bit. 

Bounou - Has carved a solid international career with Morocco and will be playing in this World Cup so I doubt he regrets his decision.

Cristante - has already had a great international career for Italy and represented at major tournaments and even has a Euro Championship with Italy.

Yankov - I don't think Yankov would have many regrets because I think he is a fringe player for Canada at best.  I doubt he would hit the caps he has now for Bulgaria in an entire career with Canada. 

De Guzman - didn't have a great Dutch career but he was included in the 2014 World Cup Squad so he probably doesn't regret it. 

Begovic - had like 60 some odd caps for Bosnia & Herzegovina and he too also played at the 2014 World Cup as well so I doubt he regrets his decision.

Mitrovic - remains to be determined.  If he's included in Serbia's squad for Qatar than he may not regret it but based on Serbia's talent and depth, I do not see him playing frequently for Serbia unless he takes his play up to another level.

Edited by Corazon

Unfortunately, Tomori is gone.  He would instantly jump to top 3 in our team if he was on our program.  Maybe only Davies is a tier above him.  David is close and Eustaquio right behind.  Imagine a core 5 players of Davies, David, Eustaquio, Cristante & Tomori for the next 5 to 10 years.  Throw in Bounou, who would likely be our starting keeper as well.

Edited by Corazon

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Again, dumb question, but is Flores officially gone?  Can't remember if he has played 3 times for Mexico.  He never had to file a one time switch, did he?

Not officially, but would have to wait three years and never get capped again in order to switch to us. As WHCiO said above, one more cap and he's gone. Mexico probably will just call him up for Nations League, throw him in as a sub against Suriname and cap him for good.

Edited by rydermike