Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

On 9/26/2022 at 2:03 AM, VinceA said:

One reason it is so important to have regular youth camps is we need to get to these guys first. Ultimately we lost Yankov and Mitrovic because when we finally approached them and the paperwork starts to get filed their current FA is notified and then they can act or not. In both cases Bulgaria and Serbia moved to give the players an offer to play for the senior team. That never happens if we actually called them at the youth levels.

The recent U-20 camp should be very helpful in that regard.

Very interesting, I didn't know that but it makes sense. 

22 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Very interesting, I didn't know that but it makes sense. 

Yeah this is why I didn't clown on Wheeler too much when he said Yankov was joining the program. He was but Bulgaria has to be notified and then they fast tracked him to the team.

3 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

So In like 20 years are we gonna have a whole bunch of Italian dual nats? seems like it’s such a growing population in Canada.

Italian, Balkan, Portuguese, Indian should start to show through we have a ton of these guys playing grassroots at the moment as many of their parents came in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Obviously lots of factors though come into those kids continuing to play at a high level as they become teenagers.

Edited by VinceA

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 11:12 AM, VinceA said:

Italian, Balkan, Portuguese, Indian should start to show through we have a ton of these guys playing grassroots at the moment as many of their parents came in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Obviously lots of factors though come into those kids continuing to play at a high level as they become teenagers.

I'd say 95% of the Italians and Portuguese I know came in the 50's and 60's.  Its the grandkids of the original immigrants that are coming in now. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I'd say 95% of the Italians and Portuguese I know came in the 50's and 60's.  Its the grandkids of the original immigrants that are coming in now. 

I was about to post this very thought. Italians haven't emigrated from Italy in huge numbers since the 80s. The standard of living improved to such an extent that it wasn't worth for a common Italian to move. I assume it's the same for many of the other Westeran European nations

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I was about to post this very thought. Italians haven't emigrated from Italy in huge numbers since the 80s. The standard of living improved to such an extent that it wasn't worth for a common Italian to move. I assume it's the same for many of the other Westeran European nations

Italy's population is actually declining now

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Like the rest of the Western World, Italian women don't want bambinos.

Western European countries are in stable to declining populations. Any growth is through immigration and that is changing the population structure of many European countries. You are right that young couples are resisting having babies. It is a western culture phenomenon that is not yet shared among many other cultures in the world.

5 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Western European countries are in stable to declining populations. Any growth is through immigration and that is changing the population structure of many European countries. You are right that young couples are resisting having babies. It is a western culture phenomenon that is not yet shared among many other cultures in the world.

It’s far worse in northern Asia. Korea, Japan Taiwan, Hong Kong and China have even lower birth rates

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

It’s far worse in northern Asia. Korea, Japan Taiwan, Hong Kong and China have even lower birth rates

Japan went into a declining population trend after its economy tanked 20 years ago. China has transformed from a strict one child policy to encouraging two children. The one child policy resulted in a large imbalance in reproductive age males and females since Chinese family culture values baby boys over girls. If a child was born female during the one child policy, it stood a good chance of being abandoned or starved. Female fetuses were much more likely to be terminated through abortion.  

There are presently over 20 million fewer females in the reproductive age group in China than males hence the relaxation of one child in only in China. The lower aged demographic group will be needed to support an aging population in China which is now beginning to impact the economy. Countries in general which are declining in population are generally post industrial economies with high levels of education among young people and women in particular.

3 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Japan went into a declining population trend after its economy tanked 20 years ago. China has transformed from a strict one child policy to encouraging two children. The one child policy resulted in a large imbalance in reproductive age males and females since Chinese family culture values baby boys over girls. If a child was born female during the one child policy, it stood a good chance of being abandoned or starved. Female fetuses were much more likely to be terminated through abortion.  

There are presently over 20 million fewer females in the reproductive age group in China than males hence the relaxation of one child in only in China. The lower aged demographic group will be needed to support an aging population in China which is now beginning to impact the economy. Countries in general which are declining in population are generally post industrial economies with high levels of education among young people and women in particular.

China’s relaxation of the one child policy has not worked; the birth rate continues to fall.  And while the things you mention are all correct, it’s far deeper than that. Many articles have been written about it.  It’s not just improved education in Asia, it’s the fact that the culture hasn’t changed to support women which is ironically the “family values” countries as essentially the burden of delivering on those falls on women. Also, in many countries including China there is a poor social security system to help support them as it’s suppose to be done by the family (ie. The woman). So many women prefer to not marry or delay it quite considerably and if they marry, not to have children or only have one.

So I would say it’s a combination of education coupled with traditional male dominated societies that offer women little support which is the problem.

The further issue in Asia is unwillingness to embrace immigration for cultural reasons (ie. A thinly disguised racism).

Here’s an article from Bloomberg that shows the Asian societies as having the lowest birth rates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-06-21/the-fertility-crisis-started-in-japan-but-it-won-t-stay-there

And one on China’s issues:

https://thediplomat.com/2022/03/china-continues-to-underdeliver-in-its-plans-to-combat-the-low-birth-rate/

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Don't know how much they'd add to the pool but assuming they stay in Hamilton, CB Daniel Krutzen and DM/CB Alexander Achinioti-Jönsson should become eligible for Canada in 2023/24.

Im actually surprised those guys haven’t been given a call to an MLS camp as a trialist or something. I think they both are quality players with the ability of playing at the next level. 

…but the reality is they wouldn’t be worth an international spot. 

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

I thought he'd have to have had Canadian eligibility at the time he gained those caps in order to be able to file a change of federation?

Yes, that rule changed. As long as he wasn't older than 21 when he played the youth games he can represent a new county of residence after 5 years of residency there.