Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

Tomori is leaps and bounds the only guy who would affect/impact the CMNT immediately. 
Yes Cristante is class....but I'm okay with the guys in CM who have already shown their commitment in Kaye, Arfield, Eustaquio, Piette, etc.

The rest of those names are just names for naming sake. 

I refuse to be the ex begging to be taken back after being cheated on, and never taken seriously. 

Tomori at this stage is completely different, and this rule was made for him. I can't see him getting a call-up back to England anytime soon, especially since they know he's "cap-tied"- which was their only goal in subbing him on in the 84 minute of a 4-0 whopping anyway. 

Edited by Shway

Has it been mentioned that Bounou, the Sevilla keeper in the current Europa League final (winners), who has won over the starting sport over the past few months, was born in Montreal and has Canadian citizenship? 

He's a Moroccan international, though I am not sure he's their first option. 

As he was with Girona, in 2nd and then 1st tier, and was not always a starter, it'd be a good question if he'd replace Borjan if he were with us. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Munir who also plays in spain was the number 1 of morocco for a long time..but recently bounou got more games so its a battle between the two..but bounou will never be able to play for canada unless they open it up even more as he has a number of games for morocco..would be very nice though..for me I would like to see players be allowed to play for any national team that they have nationality without looking at caps..wont happen soon but maybe one day..who thought someone would be allowed to switch like with this new rule but now its gonna happen so you never know

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Munir who also plays in spain was the number 1 of morocco for a long time..but recently bounou got more games so its a battle between the two..but bounou will never be able to play for canada unless they open it up even more as he has a number of games for morocco..would be very nice though..for me I would like to see players be allowed to play for any national team that they have nationality without looking at caps..wont happen soon but maybe one day..who thought someone would be allowed to switch like with this new rule but now its gonna happen so you never know

It's weird catching up with cricket since getting DAZN. Much more fluid with rules there with international representation.

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

I think that Bounou was a possibility for us, as being in Spain 2nd tier he seemed to have been ignored by Morocco for a few years there. This is in part because he club career was up and down, so his national team options with Morocco were never cut and dry.

He was signed by At Madrid as a teen, played half of the matches for the B team, then was ceded to Zaragoza, where he was third keeper with them in 2nd division. At Girona in 2016-17 he was there for the year they promoted to top flight, but played half the games. Then, once up in top flight, they signed another keeper, Gorka, and he was benched, eventually making his way back to the starting spot. Had a couple good seaons in top flight. When Girona relegated last season he was ceded by them as 2nd keeper by Seville, again hardly playing though he has been their Europa League keeper it seems.

So Bounou has rarely had a long spell as a starter, though he is clearly elite. Girona is playing a final match to promote back into top flight this weekend, which if happens he may return there. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 8/21/2020 at 4:54 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Has it been mentioned that Bounou, the Sevilla keeper in the current Europa League final (winners), who has won over the starting sport over the past few months, was born in Montreal and has Canadian citizenship? 

He's a Moroccan international, though I am not sure he's their first option. 

As he was with Girona, in 2nd and then 1st tier, and was not always a starter, it'd be a good question if he'd replace Borjan if he were with us. 

Craig Forrest may have seen your comment. He mentioned Bounou on the CBC broadcast of York vs Valour yesterday. It was in the context of goalkeepers maturing later than outfield players, but he did also mention the keeper was born in Montreal but represents Morocco.

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

A lot of chatter on Twitter indicating that Ferdi Kadioglu has been called up by Turkey for the Nations League, apparently he is going to meet with the manager before making a commitment. 

I guess TRT Spor has something on it but I can’t understand Turkish so If someone can translate there is something out there

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

A lot of chatter on Twitter indicating that Ferdi Kadioglu has been called up by Turkey for the Nations League, apparently he is going to meet with the manager before making a commitment. 

Never thought we had legit chance with Kadioglu anyways so this isn’t heartbreaking or anything (unlike Cristante or Tomori).

3 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Meh it was such a long shot I never paid much attention. Yankov is really the only realistic one right now.

You got Gutiérrez and Ferreira who are realistic. Portugal is not gonna call 27-year-old injury prone CB when they have more talented young players coming up. Gutierrez is in a tough fight to make the Chile national team. After Davies Canada LB depth is not strong. Same with our CB depth. We have really old players or very young who are not proven. Ferreira is proven solid CB in his prime, just made of glass. 

Edited by SpecialK

43 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

You got Gutiérrez and Ferreira who are realistic. Portugal is not gonna call 27-year-old injury prone CB when they have more talented young players coming up. Gutierrez is in a tough fight to make the Chile national team. After Davies Canada LB depth is not strong. Same with our CB depth. We have really old players or very young who are not proven. Ferreira is proven solid CB in his prime, just made of glass. 

True, forgot about those 2.

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Does Gutierrez actually have a realistic shot at Chile? They’re a top 20 team and I’m not even sure Gutierrez would start for Canada. You’d think Chile would have better options.

21 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Does Gutierrez actually have a realistic shot at Chile? They’re a top 20 team and I’m not even sure Gutierrez would start for Canada. You’d think Chile would have better options.

At this point you would have to think that he is wayyyy out of the picture.

but with his pedigree and U21 experience he probably thinks he can get back in the mix with a few good seasons.

11 hours ago, archer21 said:

Chile is not a Top 20 team. They're a middling South American footballing nation who are coming to the end of road with their all-time Golden Generation. They didn't qualify for the last World Cup and there's nothing to suggest they have a better shot at '22.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Chile is not a Top 20 team. They're a middling South American footballing nation who are coming to the end of road with their all-time Golden Generation. They didn't qualify for the last World Cup and there's nothing to suggest they have a better shot at '22.

But being a "middling South American nation" and being a top-20 team in the world are not mutually exclusive 😄
CONMEBOL is pretty strong....

chile rank.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

But being a "middling South American nation" and being a top-20 team in the world are not mutually exclusive 😄
CONMEBOL is pretty strong....

chile rank.jpg

The FIFA World Rankings are in no way reflective of who are actually the best teams in the world. Chile are grossly overrated at 17th in the rankings. There's nobody who actually believes that Chile have been the 17th best team in the world over the past 5 years, and they're in a rapid decline compared to where they were in 2014. In fact, in a year, or so, from now, they'd make an ideal friendly opponent for us...an overrated, failing team that our young, dynamic team could catch out. 

• Dominic94 changed the title to Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars