Cyle Larin

shermanator

I am as big or bigger a stat geek than the next guy.  

The ones I think that matter most to Canada - right now - are that he has had a goal or an assist in the last 5 of 7 games (4 in 6 in the league), he played almost every minute and his team has not lost any of them (winning 4). 

He has two more games before the October game. 

20 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I agree Larin really wasn't given a decent run out at Besiktas. Probably didn't help that he is Canadian and came from the MLS. (yes I am implying eurosnobbery!)

It's pretty funny how wishy washy this board can be. Now it's all Larin love.

Larin was given a bunch of chances for Besiktas. His problem was that he'd scored goals in bunches, namely all but one of his goals in the league were when he first joined the team from Orlando. The season after he scored once. He was very poor and didn't know how to link up or do more than finish, which he could get away with Orlando. We've seen how poor he is for Canada especially when it comes to combining with players and creating his own chances. 

He's been better in Belgium but even when Larin was like the only option at Besiktas he wasn't being used, and the reasons were valid.

Larin's been a top striker with Orlando, poor with Besiktas, and seems to have landed on his feet in Belgium. Maybe he's just found his level, or maybe he's inconsistent.

Where he has been consistent is in his performances with Canada: they haven't been good enough, and he hasn't been composed in front of goal when it counts. If this changes, I think you'll find everyone on this board will get behind him.

Edited by jonovision

I don't think Larin has been poor with Canada overall. When he was starting under for Floro he was a first and second year pro. He did what he could with little experience in a very negative system, scoring against Honduras and El Salvador.

He's not had a run of games as a starter with Canada since then to prove himself. He has not been a starter these past 2 Gold Cups or in CNL.

Yes he's been surpassed by David and Cavallini, but I think he still has a very important role to play this cycle. WCQ will be a long road, and we will have injuries and suspensions. Larin will get his chances and if he keeps playing as he has been in Belgium, he'll be the best 2nd/3rd choice striker we've ever had.

And I don’t think suddenly everyone is showering him with praise.  To me it is more like people cautiously being hopeful that this loan will help him turn a corner and get back on track.  To me that is entirely consistent with being critical of some of his past performances.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

You shouldnt be worried about a guy getting praised for banging in a couple or three goals.  Should be more worried about everyone dumping on a guy who tried to make a big jump to a much better league and team and couldnt break into the starting lineup.  That was going to be tough

He was always streaky in MLS, it doesnt surprise me he is scoring in bunches in Europe as well.   You take the good with the bad.  

17 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Sadly for me I think he's a one hit wonder.😞 (Hope I'm wrong though).

What is your definition of a one hit wonder? He produced consistently over 3 years in MLS, and now is producing in beglium(albeit early days). That in itself IMO makes him more than a one hit wonder. 

I see a one hit wonder as someone producing in one season, never to be seen again. Granted you may have a different POV which is completely understandable. 

Anyways, I think he still has lots to give and the Belgium move will help kick start his career again. 

He is a guy who stalled at a level, went up too high and has had his confidence take a beating.  

His work-rate is generally good from what I have seen in Belgium, which might have been a knock on him in the past. That is the first step and results are coming for team and individual.  It is about a season at club level, so we will see.  But getting to watch a little bit of him this year, I feel like he has what it takes to succeed at that level.  Beyond we will see. 

47 minutes ago, king1010 said:

What is your definition of a one hit wonder? He produced consistently over 3 years in MLS, and now is producing in beglium(albeit early days). That in itself IMO makes him more than a one hit wonder. 

I see a one hit wonder as someone producing in one season, never to be seen again. Granted you may have a different POV which is completely understandable. 

Anyways, I think he still has lots to give and the Belgium move will help kick start his career again. 

What I mean is, yes he had a couple of good years in MLS but not good with the national team , and in Turkey. So 1 out of 3 isn't great. That's how I feel but like I said before I hope I'm wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

It's almost like some here want Larin to fail. 

Its the closet, "i want Cavallini" crew.  We get it, we get it..Cavallini is the number one choice now, you can stop shitting on Larin, 8 goals in 31 national team games is crap I guess.  Nobodies memories go very far back,  a year ago Cavallini had never even scored for the CMNT.

I get that people have been frustrated with Larin, for some legitimate reasons but the bottom line is that it is great to have options.

It is hard to compare them the way I would like because I don't get to watch Cavallini at all and Larin a little bit. 

But stats-wise, we absolutely needed the goals that Cavallini  banged in in the Nations League qualifiers and Gold Cup.   That said he and Larin have a similar number of goals against possible Hex opponents, which the States are of course.  Larin has goals against Honduras and El Salvador but the that was a while ago...but I would argue he is probably in his best form since 2015/2016.  Cavallini scored against Mexico, his goal was a gimme but he had a good chance from his own devising earlier. 

Maybe a penny dropped but to me, Larin looks have matured since I have seen him last.  Both are playing a lot in decent league and contributing.  (I saw a stat that said that Larin "participated in," I assume that means scored or assisted, half of his team's league goals.  

Roll on the Americans.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Larin is working through a rough patch at the moment but even still he’s a forward the USA would love to have. By my count, he has more goals than any American forward in Europe at the moment, which is kinda sad for them.

Maybe he has more goals than Weah and Sargent at the moment but I’m pretty sure I would take either of them over larin any day of the week.

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

Maybe he has more goals than Weah and Sargent at the moment but I’m pretty sure I would take either of them over larin any day of the week.

Well yeah, me too. Weah is more of a wide forward though and Sargent I would only pick because of his potential (only 19). If Larin was American he would definitely be in the mix and fans would definitely prefer him to Zardes, who is 3rd on their depth chart.

So I would definitely go as far as saying they would love to have Larin as the 3rd choice option instead of Zardes.

Edited by Obinna

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Larin with the first and last goals for Zulte in a 6-0 win over Cercle Brugge.  The run of form continues.  Good stuff. I hope he makes it impossible for Herdman to leave him out the next time around. 

Great to see but not completely surprising if you watched him earlier this season.  Doing a lot of good work and developing an understanding with Berahino.

Cercle Brugge are the punching bag of the division but you have to take your chances.

Long may it continue.