Cyle Larin

shermanator

Highlights of the game vs. Duffel. Larin with a number of good plays aside from the goal. He did all the work down the right side to setup the 2nd goal and put in a great cross from the left shortly before that. I believe he has more assists that goals this season. He looks to be a much more complete player than his days in MLS.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Ahhh the life of a striker...you are a slow, lazy untalented headcase that has become the butt of jokes (pun intended) around the board and in turkey, drop down a level pot a few goals and whammo youre a hero again.  

I mean, 8 goals in 26 appearances for Besiktas isn't that bad. There was just a lot of pressure to win every game and produce consistently in the few opportunities he got.

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I mean, 8 goals in 26 appearances for Besiktas isn't that bad. There was just a lot of pressure to win every game and produce consistently in the few opportunities he got.

Kind of a bad stat the 8 goals in 26 games because I think 6 of those were in Europa league qualifiers vs minnows and shit Turkish teams

Edited by SkuseisLoose

He found a coach that kept believing in him.  He started quite poorly in Belgium, missed a penalty and cost them points if I recall. Berahino signed but the coach kept starting him, he began by getting assists for Berahino then scoring himself.  If the coach can deal with Berahino, he is probably not bad at this motivation thing.

Early doors for both, of course.  We will see how the season unfolds but probably some lessons in there somewhere. 

Overall, great to have any kind of selection headache. 

6 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Kind of a bad stat the 8 goals in 26 games because I think 6 of those were in Europa league qualifiers vs minnows and **** Turkish teams

You could say the same thing abour Messi or Lewandowski. As it turns out, players who are good at scoring goals tend to score a lot of goals against teams that aren't good at preventing them from scoring goals. Fancy that.

Also, four of Larin's five league goals were scored against Göztepe and Sivasspor, who finished 6th and 7th that season; hardly "**** teams." In fact, his strike rate per 90 minutes in league play was a ridiculous 0.97; he only played the equivalent of five 90-minute matches and scored five goals over those two seasons. Even if I played your game and ignored his hat-trick against B36 and his goal against Akhisarspor, in all competitions he would still have a very respectable strike rate of 0.31/90 minutes (his actual strike rate in all competitions was 0.61).

So no, it's a perfectly valid stat. Larin had a rough go at Besiktas because there was so much depth to compete with and the big Turkish clubs will bench players at the drop of a hat, not because he didn't score goals.

Larin’s strike rate at Beskitas wasn’t any different (11 goals in 1,637 minutes- 0.61/90) than his strike rate in MLS (44 goals in 6,653 -0.60/90).   I think it wasn’t a good environment for him to play in.

Let’s see him get some confidence back and he will be scoring again at his rate of just over a goal ever 2 games.

Why are we so quick to micro analyze Larin's 8 goals in 26 games for Besiktas?

It's Besiktas. He scored 8 goals for them in less than 30 games. Is that not enough for us? Must we be so critical?

On the surface it seems like Larin has struggles since going to Europe, but if you take a step back and look at the body of his work, he's right around where we thought he would be.

We all figured he would go on loan, and he's on loan. We thought he'd go on loan right away, until he breaks into Besiktas,  but the reverse happened.

Either way, thus far he has 3 goals in 9 games on loan for a mid-table Belgian side.

So in total since he went to Europe in January 2018, he has played 35 games and scored 11 goals. Really not that bad, is it? 

Not as good as his MLS numbers, but if you factor in the off-field and on-field challenges for young Canadains finding their way in Europe, I would give Larin an overall grade of B.

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

He scored 3 vs a Faroe Islands team and 3 in another game where they smashed some average Turkish team. His spell at besiktas was ****, he didn’t score in about 20 of the games he played in. I’m glad he’s picked up form in belgium and hopefully that’ll transfer to the national team but we’ll have to see.

I never watched him play in Turkey but he only played in 4 games in league play during all his time there, where he was given more than 35 minutes (the vast majority are much less). And in one of those games he had a hat trick. He never seemed to be given much of a shot

12 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I never watched him play in Turkey but he only played in 4 games in league play during all his time there, where he was given more than 35 minutes (the vast majority are much less). And in one of those games he had a hat trick. He never seemed to be given much of a shot

Because Turkey is about results, results, results. It is a bad place for player development. That is why young players don't go there to develop.

Look at young(ish) Tyler Boyd. He killed it with a smaller club in Turkey. Did well for the Americans in the Gold Cup, becoming a starter. Then, he got scooped up by Besiktas.

Besiktas gave him 7 games and now he is out of the team. He still makes the 18, but he doesn't see the field anymore. He is getting the Cyle Larin treatment. He'll be on loan in Belgium next window at this rate.

So if you are on a big team in Turkey and aren't making an impact, forget it.

In other leagues like Belgium young players are given leniency and time to turn good, because of their potential. In Turkey, it is the older players who are given leniency, due to their reputation. And quite often, such players are coming from higher levels, so they don't generally need much time to start producing.

57 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

He played in 16 games over the two seasons in the league scoring 5 times total with 3 coming from one game.

Edited by SkuseisLoose