Shamit Shome

shermanator

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2019 at 7:37 PM, red card said:

Shome still pursuing his engineering degree. Trains with Impact in the morning, classes at Concordia in the afternoon and studying in the evenings. Already has learned French enough to do interviews.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/shamit-shome-montreal-impact-1.5285824

Compare this kids maturity with the other Edmonton prodigy, Boakai, and see the difference in trajectory unfold. 

On 9/18/2019 at 1:37 PM, red card said:

Shome still pursuing his engineering degree. Trains with Impact in the morning, classes at Concordia in the afternoon and studying in the evenings. Already has learned French enough to do interviews.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/shamit-shome-montreal-impact-1.5285824

Wonder if that was one of the things that helped him get through three years of not playing much - having degree on going and an eye to the non-soccer future.

Very happy for Shome and I have admiration for his pursuit of an Engineering degree (when he is not busy winning the Voyageurs Cup). 

With Champions League starting in late February/early March and Olympic qualifying in March as well, it's going to be very busy.

He should be involved in both and I am looking forward to this kid getting tested against concacaf competition. 

Perhaps then a senior call will follow, if he keeps up his form.

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, Shway said:

Option not picked up by the Montreal Impact. He was a Generations Adidas player, so I'm going to assume he has graduated from this list. 

CPL should be a good landing spot for him.

My first thought is he can earn more as an Electrical Engineer than he could in the CPL. From what I understand he excels academically, and he appears to be a bright young man in general, with a great work ethic. I do not doubt he would have some excellent job prospects as an Engineer.

I can't say how important money is to Shome, but his potential job prospects outside of soccer make me question whether the CPL makes sense for him, just from a financial point of view. 

From a pure soccer point of view, he could probably be an impact player (excuse the pun) in the CPL, but he's sorta developed into a role player with Montreal, and in my opinion he is good enough to further his development in this capacity with another MLS team.

I would be a little surprised if he picked up a CPL contract, but we'll have to see. 

Agreed Obinna.  Anyone with a decent brain and who has good job prospects because of education and/or knowing a trade should probably decide by 26 years old (estimate of course) whether  a career in soccer is worth it.  Would be interested to know what motivates 30 somethings to keep playing on CPL wages.

8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Agreed Obinna.  Anyone with a decent brain and who has good job prospects because of education and/or knowing a trade should probably decide by 26 years old (estimate of course) whether  a career in soccer is worth it.  Would be interested to know what motivates 30 somethings to keep playing on CPL wages.

Tesho Akindele from what I understand is quite similar.  Very intelligent and highly educated as well.  May have even considered retiring a few years back (thought I've read that somewhere in this board).

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

My first thought is he can earn more as an Electrical Engineer than he could in the CPL. From what I understand he excels academically, and he appears to be a bright young man in general, with a great work ethic. I do not doubt he would have some excellent job prospects as an Engineer.

I can't say how important money is to Shome, but his potential job prospects outside of soccer make me question whether the CPL makes sense for him, just from a financial point of view. 

From a pure soccer point of view, he could probably be an impact player (excuse the pun) in the CPL, but he's sorta developed into a role player with Montreal, and in my opinion he is good enough to further his development in this capacity with another MLS team.

I would be a little surprised if he picked up a CPL contract, but we'll have to see. 

If he hasn't completed his degree and gets healthy, why not CPL? When he gets his diploma and ready to join the workforce than yeah, he has a decision to make. If he doesn't get lucrative offers by the end of his degree than perhaps it's time to retire unless he wants to persevere. Until then, CPL is the right platform to try and prove his worth

Just my thought...

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Another factor that could be in play for him is Olympic Qualifying and the U-23 team.  Maybe he explores all options this year (even if it is lower wages in the CPL), and tries to make the U-23 team, then re-evaluates things next offseason?  You'd have to think the potential to be an Olympian would be a pretty compelling reason to stick with professional soccer for at least this coming year and then see where things go.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

If he hasn't completed his degree and gets healthy, why not CPL? When he gets his diploma and ready to join the workforce than yeah, he has a decision to make. If he doesn't get lucrative offers by the end of his degree than perhaps it's time to retire unless he wants to persevere. Until then, CPL is the right platform to try and prove his worth

Just my thought..

Couldn't shome get trials in Europe before considering cpl. His education is out of the way. 

Has a solid resume - MLS, Canadian national team capped, nasl, CIS

He ll forever be tied to that henry sound clip 🤣

If he has his Eng degree from U of Alberta, that is far more solid than 90% of NCAA options. Just saying. 

I think if your dream is the sport, live it, since it is not a question of money only. it is very rare to play pro soccer. He's gotten his matches, and it may be worth exploring another contract or two if he can find them.

Shome got his degree this June - started at UoA and completed it at Concordia.

Given his position and style, he probably can make a contribution for a 2-3 CPL clubs, I view him in the same vein as Béland-Goyette. Solid for CPL but not a impact player.

So, unless he really wants to play in the Olympics and/or is Maradonna level passionate about the sport, he should look to find a real job.

Edited by red card

You don’t play at this level without dedicating a massive amount of time to improving yourself at the sport.  He is still fairly young and is basically an MLS calibre player.  I am not sure I would be so quick to give up on the idea of pro footy.  It’s not like being an engineer has the same sort of career window. I would def see what my options were in terms of soccer contract possibilities before hanging up the boots.  

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You don’t play at this level without dedicating a massive amount of time to improving yourself at the sport.  He is still fairly young and is basically an MLS calibre player.  I am not sure I would be so quick to give up on the idea of pro footy.  It’s not like being an engineer has the same sort of career window. I would def see what my options were in terms of soccer contract possibilities before hanging up the boots.  

I agree. 

The kid learned french while playing professionally and finishing an undergrad in eng. The world is his oyster. Even if he join the workforce later, with his disciple he rise up the ranks and I m sure recruiters would love his CV. 

Chase Futbol for now whethers that's MLS/cpl or across the pond 

• 1 month later...