Shamit Shome

shermanator

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

How about we ask this question: Was he any good in preseason? Remember Shome was also a later draft pick because most MLS teams didn't think he had the physical tools to play at MLS level.

He was good. Kroliki was slightly better. I don’t think Kroliki will continue like this though. He makes a lot of mistakes...

3 hours ago, yothat said:

insult. One CIS season with uofa. has 2 professional season. 50 plus appearances for fced + Canada + impact.

and a ncaa 3rd round pick is playing over him smg

loan him to ottawa

Or maybe Shome should be embarrassed that a 3rd round pick outplayed him and took his spot.  And maybe its up to Shome to play his ass off and win his damn spot back.  Why do we always want our players to move down a level?

I am kind of surprised that Krolicki or Shome would be getting any minutes.  And I dont think Shome had any spot that someone could take, he only got in 1 game last year.  Piatti, Taider, Donadel, Piette would seem to penciled in starters with Vargas, Choinere, Edwards, Goyette, krolicki and Shome fighting for scraps.  Shome is still only 20 and its a long season.  He needs to train hard and show the coaches he deserves some minutes.  

15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I am kind of surprised that Krolicki or Shome would be getting any minutes.  And I dont think Shome had any spot that someone could take, he only got in 1 game last year.  Piatti, Taider, Donadel, Piette would seem to penciled in starters with Vargas, Choinere, Edwards, Goyette, krolicki and Shome fighting for scraps.  Shome is still only 20 and its a long season.  He needs to train hard and show the coaches he deserves some minutes.  

Donadel is to old and slow to get a starting spot now. 

50 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Have a little faith in the kid. He'll be fine. 

Agreed.  He's like thousands of kids at clubs all over the world who have the talent and now need to prove themselves on the field.  Give Krolicki some credit too - once training camp ends who cares what round he was drafted.  Obviously had a good camp and made an impression.  I'd really love for at least one of the young Impact midfielders to take a step forward though.  Like BF'sBF said, Donadel doesn't have the legs anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Makes sense. Ball out in USL, earn your spot in Montreal next year.

That being said there is a terrible irony to Garde basically calling the draft useless and promoting young Canadian talent, then sending a CMNT u20 player to USL in favor of a 3rd round draft pick.

Edited by harrycoyster

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Is this guy just not that good or unlucky?  Yes I know he’s only 20 but he went from NASL young stud to not even getting a sniff with Montreal.

I've mentioned it multiple times here, but I'll mention it again: Matt Doyle said when he was drafted that most MLS teams gave him an undraftable grade because his foot speed (quickness, not pace) was below what is necessary to succeed at MLS level. So his production in the NASL (where midfielders were closed more slowly) wasn't transferable to the next level. Foot speed for midfielders is like backwards skating ability for defenders in hockey or arm strength for QBs in the NFL, those that don't have it/can't do it at the right level are red flags and need to be special in other areas. I'm not sure that Shome is good enough at anything to overcome that deficiency. The typical move for midfielders with low foot speed is to centreback, but that's not an option given his frame.

Best case is that he goes to USL and shows that he is a special enough passer of the ball that he's worth the turnovers that will follow him in MLS. Foot speed was also the knock on Wil Trapp, and he's become a borderline all-star in MLS.

Edited by harrycoyster

14 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I've mentioned it multiple times here, but I'll mention it again: Matt Doyle said when he was drafted that most MLS teams gave him an undraftable grade because his foot speed (quickness, not pace) was below what is necessary to succeed at MLS level. So his production in the NASL (where midfielders were closed more slowly) wasn't transferable to the next level. Foot speed for midfielders is like backwards skating ability for defenders in hockey or arm strength for QBs in the NFL, those that don't have it/can't do it at the right level are red flags and need to be special in other areas. I'm not sure that Shome is good enough at anything to overcome that deficiency. The typical move for midfielders with low foot speed is to centreback, but that's not an option given his frame.

Best case is that he goes to USL and shows that he is a special enough passer of the ball that he's worth the turnovers that will follow him in MLS. Foot speed was also the knock on Wil Trapp, and he's become a borderline all-star in MLS.

Of course demanded speed of action is higher in MLS than in NASL. But the only way to find out if he can adapt is to test it. 

If a player transfer from say the Eredivisie tot the EPL, some can adapt to the higher demanded speed, let say Suarez. While others don't (Vincent Jansen). The only way to determine wether or not he has it in him is a series of games In which he needs to show progress.

Let's turn it around: Do you think Krolicki can play in the same tempo as he did in college? If he does, he won't last long I can tell you. 

I think Matt Doyle is pretty good overall, arguably the best of that panel (I don't miss an episode of ETR), but I don't always agree with his points.

To be honest, I have not watched Shome close enough to disagree with him, but the fact he was injured during the combine should not be overlooked.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think Matt Doyle is pretty good overall, arguably the best of that panel (I don't miss an episode of ETR), but I don't always agree with his points.

To be fair he doesn't have a lot of competition. I have no idea how Bobby Warshaw made it as far as he did for how clueless some of the things he says are