Shamit Shome

shermanator

1997 born. Made his NASL debut and first NASL start last Saturday with FC Edmonton. Has been to a number of U-17 and U-20 camps, and started in the U-20 win against England in March. Word on the street is he is heavily hyped, not just in FC Edmonton circles but outside of these circles as well. Also eligible for Bangladesh as his parents were born there.

Also, Shome is still taking engineering classes at the University of Alberta while playing pro soccer. Must be an incredibly smart kid.

http://the11.ca/2016/04/20/fce-teenager-shome-made-nasl-debut-saturday-wrote-university-exam-tuesday/

Edited by shermanator

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

Also, Shome is still taking engineering classes at the University of Alberta while playing pro soccer. Must be an incredibly smart kid.

http://the11.ca/2016/04/20/fce-teenager-shome-made-nasl-debut-saturday-wrote-university-exam-tuesday/

Damn that is good to hear. Getting an education and playing pro level soccer. Well done!

• 8 months later...

Shome is reported to be the first Generation Adidas Canada signing. Article also says a transfer from FC Edmonton to MLS? Was he still under contract? Hope the Eddies are getting a decent transfer fee.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/news/sources-edmontons-shamit-shome-to-become-first-generation-adidas-canada-signing-in-mls/1ulhp5mozsi0l1xvxj4gd6n8hv

If true (and we already have a tweet saying it's not true), then I would imagine FC Edmonton would want a hefty fee for Shome. Not to mention, he's halfway through his second year at U of A for an engineering degree, would he give that and almost certainly big NASL minutes up without knowing where he would play? Or if he were to get minutes? Or if he were even to be drafted?

Perhaps the Callum Irving GA contract and subsequent not being drafted is making me think Shome is taking a big time risk here.

31 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Global Premier Management tweeted a response saying not true, the first GA Canada signing will be a young striker from the GTA.

I'm going to throw this name out there....Adonijah Reid? IIRC he turns 18 this year.

Edited by shermanator

The difference between Shome with the CGA designation and Irving is that won't count against the cap and possibly (I can't remember if this is true or not) not even count as a foreign player. Irving counted as both and likely on a decent cap hit considering his contract was negotiated before the draft. Good for him! Wish him all the best!

also just to add more flame to the fire, Ives said the Canadian GA player would be the outside back from Syracuse who's name escapes me at the moment. 

17 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

The difference between Shome with the CGA designation and Irving is that won't count against the cap and possibly (I can't remember if this is true or not) not even count as a foreign player. Irving counted as both and likely on a decent cap hit considering his contract was negotiated before the draft. Good for him! Wish him all the best!

Good point on counting against the cap. The release from the CSA doesn't say anything about whether GA Canada players will actually be domestic league wide, just that they will be available to all teams (ie. available for the draft).

"Mirroring the existing Generation adidas program, Generation adidas Canada will see MLS work closely with Canada Soccer to identify top domestic talent in Canada and sign these players to Generation adidas contracts. Signed Generation adidas Canada players will be made available to all MLS clubs each January via the MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas."

http://www.canadasoccer.com/mls-announces-collaboration-with-canada-soccer-on-youth-development-initiatives-p160185

48 minutes ago, shermanator said:

If true (and we already have a tweet saying it's not true), then I would imagine FC Edmonton would want a hefty fee for Shome. Not to mention, he's halfway through his second year at U of A for an engineering degree, would he give that and almost certainly big NASL minutes up without knowing where he would play? Or if he were to get minutes? Or if he were even to be drafted?

Perhaps the Callum Irving GA contract and subsequent not being drafted is making me think Shome is taking a big time risk here.

I'm going to throw this name out there....Adonijah Reid? IIRC he turns 18 this year.

I honestly have no idea who it is. But Reid fell off the map the last year.

I know this is off topic but the bigger question for this draft is if the CSA adds any academies to the "approved Canadian academies" list before it happens. For example if sigma is added before the draft suddenly Awuah becomes domestic league wide which would improve his chances of being drafted immensely. 

2 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Global Premier Management tweeted a response saying not true, the first GA Canada signing will be a young striker from the GTA.

Here is the tweet:

Global Premier Mgmt Retweeted Nick Sabetti

Not correct ! First signing is From GTA..young striker.

Global Premier Mgmt added,

Nick Sabetti @nicksabetti
Sources: Shamit Shome to become first Generation Adidas Canada signing in MLS http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/news/sources-edmontons-shamit-shome-to-become-first-generation-adidas-canada-signing-in-mls/1ulhp5mozsi0l1xvxj4gd6n8hv  #MLS #FCEdmonton #CanMNT

I don't think they are saying that Shome has not signed. I think they are just clarifying that Shome is technically not the first. That is how I am reading it.

Sabetti says there was a transfer fee involved and that there may be more than one Canadian GA signing.

@Areathrasher @sportingnews Yes, there's a transfer fee.

@GlassCityFC Not limited to one; might be more this year

7 hours ago, yothat said:

Assuming Shamit didn't trial with any european clubs with his engineering schedule. Why not sell Shamit to a bigger club and loan back to fced for his development.

You're assuming "a bigger club" outside of MLS A. is aware of him and B. wants to sign him.

9 hours ago, masster said:

Just to be clear, Callum Irving never signed a GA contract. He was a college senior and signed a contract with MLS but went undrafted.

Being a goalkeeper didn't help either. Having a foreign keeper on the end of the bench is quite frankly a waste of a scarce resource.