Shamit Shome

shermanator

59 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

"Why isn't [Canadian youngster who I've seen 100 minutes of] being given the chance over [player deemed superior by an MLS level coaching staff]? [Club or coach] hates Canada!" will give me an aneurysm one day. 

When people want to like a player they look at what he isn't doing wrong rather than what he is doing right, and overrated the player as a result. I call it Ben McKendry Disorder.

Agree with both statements, I'd call it the Canuck-goggles. However, once the players come out for the MNT, this completely changes and players aren't good at all and we need replacements (however thin the options are). 

6 hours ago, canta15 said:

Are you even a fan of Montreal? I'm sorry, but I'd much rather have my team (Toronto) win the treble than start Hamilton, Chapman, and Roberts in net. Although, I disagree with some decisions, like letting go Edwards instead of one of our defenders and Spencer getting time in front of Hamilton. Many were outraged at the fact that Bono was given the place instead of Roberts, but the fact was he is better than him and better players deserve to start.

Are the Impact my favourite MLS team?  No.  I probably lean towards TFC.  But I am not from one of the MLS cities so I don't have super strong ties to any one of them.  I can cheer for them all depending on the context.  And one of the things that makes me cheer for them is their CanCon.  This I will likely lean towards Montreal this season.  

Was I happy when TFC won it all?  Sure.  But they did it largely on the backs of 2 Americans and an Italian.  Osorio played well, but I would far rather see TFC with more Canucks in the mix.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Are the Impact my favourite MLS team?  No.  I probably lean towards TFC.  But I am not from one of the MLS cities so I don't have super strong ties to any one of them.  I can cheer for them all depending on the context.  And one of the things that makes me cheer for them is their CanCon.  This I will likely lean towards Montreal this season.  

Was I happy when TFC won it all?  Sure.  But they did it largely on the backs of 2 Americans and an Italian.  Osorio played well, but I would far rather see TFC with more Canucks in the mix.

Which is my point. Of course you would rather see Canadians do well at the club because you don’t have strong ties to any of them. But most devout fans would much rather see their team win 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I see it as a bonus if TFC wins with more Canadians and if a  Canadian player is good enough he will play like Osorio who played major minutes in the MLS Cup final and was one of the best players on the field in that game. However, being a hardcore TFC fan and a season ticket holder from day one did it take anything away from my satisfaction of TFC winning it all last season because they had so few Canadians , not one dam bit sorry, just like Blue Jays fans if they win the World Series with no Canadians their satisfaction in winning it all wont be affected one bit if there were no Canadians in the lineup! 

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I predict you will be very wrong about that. I think the Canadians we have now like Piette and AJH are very good MLS players and a couple of the signings like Edwards and Petrasso will show themselves to be MLS starting calibre. Hopefully a few of the others like Shome will step up and impress but I don't think we are depending on them as key players. The areas where the team is lacking are not really the areas where we are relying on Canadians. This is a young team with a lot of changes so it is difficult to predict how good we will be but I think if we struggle it will not be because of the number or quality of the Canadians we have, it will be because we are lacking in quality foreigners to surround them.

Would love it if that happens (either stuff goes well or non-Canadian talent is blamed) but if shit falls apart people will default and blame Canadians for results.

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

Which is my point. Of course you would rather see Canadians do well at the club because you don’t have strong ties to any of them. But most devout fans would much rather see their team win 

VWFC fan... but I check the line up before the games, and if there's no Canadians I find better things to do with my time and generally give zero fucks how they do unless they're playing Canadians.

I suppose we've all got different priorities when it comes to club vs. country and that's fair enough.

13 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

I suppose we've all got different priorities when it comes to club vs. country and that's fair enough.

This. We all have different goals and achievements we want to see from the clubs that we support.

I really enjoyed TFC winning MLS Cup after all their early struggles, however it kinda sucked seeing only 1 CDN on the field. Sometimes there were even no CDN starters at times last season - which is totally wrong - but was mitigated by 2 or 3 CDN subs.

At this point it's fun to see the club succeed and be the consensus #1 going into the season, but eventually i'd like to see them be a playoff contender with 3 or 4 CDN starters. In fact, i'd love to see all 3 CDN MLS clubs being capable of making the playoffs with Canadians being a part of it.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

I really enjoyed TFC winning MLS Cup after all their early struggles, however it kinda sucked seeing only 1 CDN on the field. Sometimes there were even no CDN starters at times last season - which is totally wrong - but was mitigated by 2 or 3 CDN subs.

At this point it's fun to see the club succeed and be the consensus #1 going into the season, but eventually i'd like to see them be a playoff contender with 3 or 4 CDN starters. In fact, i'd love to see all 3 CDN MLS clubs being capable of making the playoffs with Canadians being a part of it.

It'll happen. We just have to be patient. First step: building a winning tradition and develop Canadian prospects. Second step: Promote prospects to first team; sign better established Canadians to first team.  

3 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

VWFC fan... but I check the line up before the games, and if there's no Canadians I find better things to do with my time and generally give zero fucks how they do unless they're playing Canadians.

Just enjoy the game if your a soccer fan, enjoy the fact that soccer a sport that many haters never thought could ever play to crowds the size that all three MLS teams are playing in front of in Canada and that one day in other cities in Canada in the CPL, yes it would be nice to have more Canadians , I'm also a fan of Serie A my parents both being from Italy and after Canada my other national team is Italy and my club team in Italy is Napoli and if I look at the Napoli lineup  each game to see how many Italians they are playing and base my decision if I will watch on if they are playing Italians I would hardly watch because they are lucky if they field one Italian each game lol,  enjoy the game one day we will see more Canadians in all leagues .

7 hours ago, canta15 said:

This. We all have different goals and achievements we want to see from the clubs that we support.

Exactly.  Which is why I, personally, would rather see a Canadian MLS club struggle while giving Canadians valuable playing time than have a middling season without them (and based on Montreal's results last year, mid table is arguably about as high as they could aim without a lot of overhaul).

1 hour ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Most Whitecaps fans definitely prefer the team tries to win rather than play Canadians. Because most of us who give more than half a damn about Canada aren't Whitecaps fans anymore.

Most TFC fans and most Impact fans also want to see a winning product.  (Keep in mind that the paltry few that make up the Voyageurs are not representative of the 20,000+ fans that show up for home games in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto.) Having said that, all of these fans would love to see more Canadian players out there, but only if they are good enough. And also but I suspect the Canadians on the Caps will see more minutes than those on TFC this year.  And I want the Impact to do well, but each of the Canadians will need to earn his playing time, and don't expect the coach to go down with his Canadians if the team starts to tank because the Canadians are not good enough. Are we really that short sighted here??

7 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

It says that with no clear #10, Garde is looking for another #8 to play besides Taider. Shome is the person that he's turned to so far. 

(If you use chrome, there's a translation button that will translate the whole page)

Thank you! Hopefully Shome gets to start the season in the 11.