Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

12 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Tabla and Eustaquio are good players. I love both of them. But both of them would have a hard time finding minutes on  ivory coast and Portugal. So it’s  pretty logical that they would pick Canada because there are potential starters. 

They’re 3 big names that Canada really needs. I hope Herdman proves me wrong. But he’s 0 for 2 right now. 

Nobody. NOBODY thought there was a chance Tabla would commit for another 3-4 years. It’s easy in hindsight to assume it was going to happen after his poor year but he had just moved over to BarcaB.

Eustaquio could easily have been in the same boat. He was linked to the biggest clubs in Portugal and if he managed to carve out a starring role that immediately puts him in the Portugal squad conversation.

Herdman isn’t 0/2 but you’re around 2/53 on posts.

I hate to poke the bear, but who are the two he is o/2 with? Tomori??  I think made up his mind 2-3 years ago, he might not have even been on the table.  Tabla by rights should have been with us, and did choose us, so not sure if that a win or just a draw.  Eustaquio, prob should have been with us, but its still a win that we didnt lose him.  Is it some pie in the sky player?? The kid from Holland? Maybe Ferrera?? Isnt he 27....he is getting into the Vitoria territory soon, joining too late.    

It appears Johnathan David was always going to play with us... but we shouldn't forget he could have easily played for Haiti and Herdman called him up first chance he got. Similar could be said about ZBG (and didn't ZBG leave Canada to France when he was 11-12?), I'm sure Haiti would love to have both those players. 

Now I'm excited to see Eustaquio get his first cap, just as I was happy/excited when I saw Kamal Miller,  Liam Millar and Tabla get their first caps under Herdman.

Aside from Guitierrez (who has played for Chile U20), perhaps Cordova and of course Tomori ( who's been clear England is his 1st choice), those are the 3 players who could have immediate impact..... Love, hate or neutral on Herdman, you do have to give credit to Herdman from that standpoint. Facts are facts.

Edited by apbsmith

On 7/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, costarg said:

I don't follow Ivory Coast very closely, however i've heard Tabla would probably slot into the Ivory Coast team before CANMNT.  They hadn't qualified for the 2018 world cup, and have fallen quite a bit in the fifa rankings.   

you may want to read this. Although they have significantly underachieved over the past 5 years their team is stacked with high end players 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49137976

On 7/26/2019 at 4:14 AM, apbsmith said:

It appears Johnathan David was always going to play with us... but we shouldn't forget he could have easily played for Haiti and Herdman called him up first chance he got. Similar could be said about ZBG (and didn't ZBG leave Canada to France when he was 11-12?), I'm sure Haiti would love to have both those players. 

Now I'm excited to see Eustaquio get his first cap, just as I was happy/excited when I saw Kamal Miller,  Liam Millar and Tabla get their first caps under Herdman.

Aside from Guitierrez (who has played for Chile U20), perhaps Cordova and of course Tomori ( who's been clear England is his 1st choice), those are the 3 players who could have immediate impact..... Love, hate or neutral on Herdman, you do have to give credit to Herdman from that standpoint. Facts are facts.

He was also eligible for the US, don't forget.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The transfer window has closed for the EPL; the pundits believe he will stay at Chelsea now that they have sold David Luiz to Arsenal because if they loaned or sold Tomori they would find themselves very thin on defenders!

They do have Zouma and bunch of other loan defenders back and I see Rudiger is back in training.  Be interesting; they can still send players to foreign leagues before their deadlines. 

Some places were saying Tomori was offered to Everton, not sure how true that was - like everything today that didn't go down.

*Real shame if Frank sold him.

*may contain sarcasm  

On 8/8/2019 at 2:27 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The transfer window has closed for the EPL; the pundits believe he will stay at Chelsea now that they have sold David Luiz to Arsenal because if they loaned or sold Tomori they would find themselves very thin on defenders!

An article on the same point...

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/fikayo-tomori-why-david-luiz-leaving-chelsea-is-show-of-faith-in-youngster/199to2jcebec51jdpdkszo8giw 

Edited by nolando

20 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Good for him.  Not good for Canada.  Only 21 and getting minutes with Chelsea.  Rudiger should be returning in the next few weeks so he will likely drop down to 4th choice CB.

Lots of mixed feelings on the situation.  The transfer ban has made them give lots of chances to their kids which may end up being brilliant for them in long run, unless Roman has truly got bored.  I am hoping it is a disaster in the short term on general principle, their manager etc. 

Having said that, if I try to be neutral, it is nice that an English manager is getting a chance and giving the club's players a chance.  As said though, that is probably bad for Canada.

So on balance I hope they imploded.

I'm going to take a different stance from usual. I hope he does really well, but 5 or 6 other English CBs have otherworldly performances, leaving him still firmly on the outside looking in for the English national team.

But mostly I'll just not pay much attention until there is news.

To his credit, he has been honest he wants to play for England. 

Realistically, we need to win our group in Nations League and/or make the Hex, otherwise, I don't see him switching back to us after playing for England this summer. 

Good point above though with cheering for 5 English CB doing well. With Maguire likely a main stay likely for the next 2 cycles plus the other English CBs, it won't be an easy squad to break into.

I still think he decides in the next 18 months. 

8 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Good point above though with cheering for 5 English CB doing well.

Maguire, Kean, Stones, and Gomez -  have been whose there in the  last year basically.  None of them old but Gomez has been brittle. 

Lewis Dunk in my opinion is better than at least a couple of those and a bit older.

Mawson's star has faded after getting relegated twice and being injured a lot.  Tarkowski got caps when Burnley had a great year but similar. Mee rode that as well but is older than everyone mentioned.  And there is still Phil "Beaker" Jones who is younger than I thought and went to the World Cup.

Clarke-Salter has been Tomori's U-21 partner this summer but he is Chelsea too and was sent out on loan again. So would behind the latter probably. 

Probably depends on how long he wants to wait, thought playing for a big club makes a huge difference (I am not bitter, at all).

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

58 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Maguire, Kean, Stones, and Gomez -  have been whose there in the  last year basically.  None of them old but Gomez has been brittle. 

Lewis Dunk in my opinion is better than at least a couple of those and a bit older.

Mawson's star has faded after getting relegated twice and being injured a lot.  Tarkowski got caps when Burnley had a great year but similar. Mee rode that as well but is older than everyone mentioned.  And there is still Phil "Beaker" Jones who is younger than I thought and went to the World Cup.

Clarke-Salter has been Tomori's U-21 partner this summer but he is Chelsea too and was sent out on loan again. So would ahead of behind the latter probably. 

Probably depends on how long he wants to wait, thought playing for a big club makes a huge difference (I am not bitter, at all).

You also have guys like Conor Coady and Jamaal Lascelles who are captain of their club sides and could easily justify call ups. I imagine he will have to surpass Zouma and Christensen in the pecking order before he gets his cap with the CB depth England has. Looks like he will have plenty of opportunities to make that a reality though.