Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

4 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think he’s firmly a front burner option for England but if it didn’t work out with them I would welcome him with open arms.

I respectfully disagree, England has several choices at CB younger and a little older than Tomori. All are currently starting in the PL. Tomori is stuck in the Championship under contract to a PL club notorious for loaning out dozens of players. As long as he’s property of Chelsea, he’ll be stuck behind higher priced players without possibility of playing for the club. The longer he’s buried at Chelsea, the less chance he has of playing for England, which increases our chances of Herdman sweet talking him into returning to play for Canada.

58 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I respectfully disagree, England has several choices at CB younger and a little older than Tomori. All are currently starting in the PL. Tomori is stuck in the Championship under contract to a PL club notorious for loaning out dozens of players. As long as he’s property of Chelsea, he’ll be stuck behind higher priced players without possibility of playing for the club. The longer he’s buried at Chelsea, the less chance he has of playing for England, which increases our chances of Herdman sweet talking him into returning to play for Canada.

I don’t think his odds are great if being called by England anytime soon - but Nigeria is also an option for him. Still a more difficult squad to get called to than Canada obviously, but I assume that would be his 2md option

11 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Gomez and Stones, when fit, will probably start every meaningful England match for the next 8-10 years, leaving very little for any other English CBs to scrap for.

And also Keane, Dunk, jones, Tarkowski in mid 20s with a few callups that are way above in the call up order. Tomori at the moment is 40th in line. Rob Holding is starting for Arsenal and he isnt in the England CB conversation.

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

I don’t think his odds are great if being called by England anytime soon - but Nigeria is also an option for him. Still a more difficult squad to get called to than Canada obviously, but I assume that would be his 2md option

Based on what? I mean it could be, but he hasn't spoken about it, has he? My guess is if he'd interested in England, why not Canada? He has played for us before (and not fr Nigeria). 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think if Davies, Millar, Tabla, David, Larin, etc continue to develop and get some first team football, Tomori might notice Canada has a pretty bright future. Also Herdman should play up that CB is a position of need and Tomori could be a key component of the team.

Everybody wins. (pun intended).

Yeah that's is a good narrative. He can wait for years in hope of an England call, or just walk into the line-up of a contender in Concacaf. 

And it's basically a guaranteed World Cup for him. 

14 hours ago, shamrock said:

Based on what? I mean it could be, but he hasn't spoken about it, has he? My guess is if he'd interested in England, why not Canada? He has played for us before (and not fr Nigeria). 

Based on the fact that Nigeria is a World Cup regular I suppose. I don’t think his choice will be much deeper than that. Also, I would think that his family’s Nigerian ties are much deeper than Canada’s but you’re right this is all guess work 

I don't think he will ever play for england.  I'm sure he will wait and see how his career pans out, but at some point I can see him coming back to Canada.  I don't know much about his Nigerian connections or much about that national team, but one would think with a guaranteed WC during his prime years, on a team that is in desperate need of CB's, Canada would be his best option.   That's my thinking at least.  The guaranteed WC I think will turn a lot of dual nationals to us

22 hours ago, KMB said:

I don't think he will ever play for england.  I'm sure he will wait and see how his career pans out, but at some point I can see him coming back to Canada.  I don't know much about his Nigerian connections or much about that national team, but one would think with a guaranteed WC during his prime years, on a team that is in desperate need of CB's, Canada would be his best option.   That's my thinking at least.  The guaranteed WC I think will turn a lot of dual nationals to us

Only guaranteed if the kid can crack our line up when the WC comes to town.

He's been in England since an infant so he may very well feel a stronger connection to England than Canada.  However, with Tomori for England & even Eustaquio for Portugal, they both have a chance to play in one of the largest tournaments in the world for the U21 Euro next year.  Another thing to consider for these players is that the U21 Euro tournament can be a great career move as it is a heavily scouted tournament.   I couldn't imagine either of them giving the opportunity up, especially to play for Canada in Nations Qualifier games.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

He's been in England since an infant so he may very well feel a stronger connection to England than Canada.  However, with Tomori for England & even Eustaquio for Portugal, they both have a chance to play in one of the largest tournaments in the world for the U21 Euro next year.  Another thing to consider for these players is that the U21 Euro tournament can be a great career move as it is a heavily scouted tournament.   I couldn't imagine either of them giving the opportunity up, especially to play for Canada in Nations Qualifier games.

Completely reasonable. The exposure playing Euro youth tournaments far exceeds anything except Gold Cup or Hex for Canada. For their careers it makes sense to stay with their Euro nations. But hopefully for us and unfortunately for them the Senior options don't materialize and Canada becomes the pathway to WC glory!

44 minutes ago, SirBobsaget said:

Completely reasonable. The exposure playing Euro youth tournaments far exceeds anything except Gold Cup or Hex for Canada. For their careers it makes sense to stay with their Euro nations. But hopefully for us and unfortunately for them the Senior options don't materialize and Canada becomes the pathway to WC glory!

With Fikayo, he is quite far down the pecking order for the England senior national team with many young defenders in the fold likely for a long time, so heres hoping he comes back to Canada!

Same goes for Eustaquio who would have to compete with a a good young core of Portuguese midfielders on the senior team.

Ricardo Feirreira (if healthy) on the other hand may be hoping his opportunity with Portugal is near with many strong center backs out of the picture in the near future; Fonte (34), Pepe (35), Bruno Alves (36) & Rolando (33).

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2018 at 12:23 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

@Kent He was actually goal side of his man... To say he left him all alone is false. He just didn't deal with the crossed ball. 

He gave his man 5 meters of space very close to goal. Didn’t come close to intercepting the pass or challenging his shot. I count that as leaving him alone.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

No Tomori on England squad for the Euro Qualifiers... 

He's unlikely to be called for the Euro at this rate

Looks like he's getting closer to Canada

Oh God I hope so!!! Ferreira and Tomori is what we need to take us to the top of CONCACF. Even if Ferreira is injury prone