Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

If he is that committed to getting Tomori to play for us then surely we would expect new developments. Yeah he can say all he wants that he has had contact with Tomori which I'm sure he is cue my skepticism/cynicism on that but if he has then what more are he and the CSA doing on their end to follow up?

JH said "right place, right time" when describing their approach to dual nationals. There's no sense for them to pour a lot of effort right now into two guys that are committed to European U21 programs with a Euro U21 ongoing and a Euro competition on the horizon.  They have spoken with them to let them know that the door is open if they don't make the squads for England and Portugal.  Wise approach, IMO.  Keep tabs on everyone out there and understand their current situation -- be ready to step in at the key moment.  We shouldn't expect developments until and if Tomori/Eustaquio fail to make the cut.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I wonder if Herdman took a plane and made the trip to England to talk to Tomori in person and try to convince him to play for the National Team

Same way that Zambrano made the trip to Uruguay to talk to Cavallini and Succeeded

Completely different situation. Cavallini had no choice but to play for Canada because he was already cap-tied, while Tomori still has the option of playing for England, Nigeria or Canada. It's still too soon for him to know which will be the best choice for his career and he will presumably wait at least until he has a stable club situation before deciding which country he wants to play for.

And let's not forget that OZ flew out to Portugal and Italy to try and convince Ricardo Ferreira and Bryan Cristante to play for us and those attempts completely failed. It's ultimately the player's choice and there isn't actually very much the manager can do about it other than get good performanes with the NT.

53 minutes ago, Zem said:

And let's not forget that OZ flew out to Portugal and Italy to try and convince Ricardo Ferreira and Bryan Cristante to play for us and those attempts completely failed. It's ultimately the player's choice and there isn't actually very much the manager can do about it other than get good performanes with the NT.

I'm not sure about that. I think Ferreira is yet to be seen, and Cristante had an outstanding season in Serie A and deservedly received an Italy call-up. But it was probably nice for him to know Canada wanted him, and if he hadn't received an Italy call-up he may have considered Canada, whereas without OZ visiting him he may not have.

Man Utd's Scott McTominay explicitly says that Scotland's manager coming to talk directly to him helped his decision:

Then there was the matter of who seemed to want him more too.

"McLeish made a huge effort getting to Carrington to meet up with him, because it was in the middle of the bad weather that we had," Brian McClair, who coached McTominay at the United academy, told the BBC. "He made it, put a case. Gareth Southgate sent him a text."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/scotland/580/blog/post/3427665/scott-mctominay-choosing-scotland-over-england-was-a-no-brainer

Edited by Bertuzzi44

28 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I'm not sure about that. I think Ferreira is yet to be seen, and Cristante had an outstanding season in Serie A and deservedly received an Italy call-up. But it was probably nice for him to know Canada wanted him, and if he hadn't received an Italy call-up he may have considered Canada, whereas without OZ visiting him he may not have.

He definitely did talk to both of them, and I recall he made a trip to Europe at one point as well:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/ballou-tabla-bryan-cristante-ricardo-ferreira-octavio-zambrano-montrea-impact-mls-canada-soccer/

34 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Man Utd's Scott McTominay explicitly says that Scotland's manager coming to talk directly to him helped his decision:

And again, McTominay is a different situation from Tomori. He gets solid minutes for Man U but had been routinely overlooked by England's youth and senior teams, to the point that Jose Mourinho publicly suggested that Alex McLeish call him up:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43105205

Tomori isn't getting minutes in the Premier League yet and has gotten plenty of call-ups to English youth teams, so nobody can say that he's being overlooked. Directly approaching a player could potentially make a difference when the time is right, but it's far from that time for Tomori. He presumably wants to play for England if he can and he's clearly on their radar, he just needs to break into the Prem and he presumably has a solid chance of a call-up.

The question is if he breaks into the Prem, when he does it and if he's confident he'll actually get regular call-ups instead of becoming the next Teal Bunbury. If he falls off England's radar or decides he can't wait any longer for an England call-up, then we can realistically talk about calling him up. But even then, Nigeria is far more attractive than Canada unless we get some impressive results.

Tomori’s in a tough spot with Chelsea, they freely spend all sorts of money and rarely promote youth team players to the big club. He’s at an point where players of similar age are getting regular minutes in the PL, so maybe it’s decreasing his chances to play for England and makes it more likely to play for us or Nigeria. I found this stat from espnfc (pic below) - Chelsea had 33 players (including 13 defenders) on loan as of a week ago, which seems like an astronomical amount. 

37357F23-AB25-494D-95DB-B11A03D65DE2.png

Edited by Strait Red

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Despite the commitment of Davies and Talba, I think it is imperative for the CMNT to secure Tomori to continue to grow. Even if they have all this exciting young talent the teams potential is going no where with out Two class CB who can defend and get the ball into the attacking players. 

I personally think that we have a good chance to secure Tomori. If his goal is to play in a world cup, the likely hood of securing a spot with England during Southgate's lead is highly unlikely. Stones, MacGuire, Gomez, walker, with all likely be around for another two tournaments. Plus you have guys like Micheal Keane, Tartowski in the wings as well. 

Does a competitive u21 match tie him?

2 hours ago, top cheese said:

Despite the commitment of Davies and Talba, I think it is imperative for the CMNT to secure Tomori to continue to grow. Even if they have all this exciting young talent the teams potential is going no where with out Two class CB who can defend and get the ball into the attacking players. 

I personally think that we have a good chance to secure Tomori. If his goal is to play in a world cup, the likely hood of securing a spot with England during Southgate's lead is highly unlikely. Stones, MacGuire, Gomez, walker, with all likely be around for another two tournaments. Plus you have guys like Micheal Keane, Tartowski in the wings as well. 

Does a competitive u21 match tie him?

He definitely is a long shot right now but it’s possible he could be at England level in a couple years. I doubt he commits unless he’s 100% sure England’s not giving him a call. Also like the Scottish spelling of maguire.

Isn't he going to age out come next summer?

Then what?

England is deep at his position so Canada could be his best option unless he waits it out in the hope of surpassing all the others ahead of him... which could take a while or never happen...certainly not if he isn't starting in EPL or another top league.

Tough decision

Edited by Ansem

Sure it's gonna be a waiting game till he's 24 or 26 and if England doesn't come, surely he'll choose Canada to get some international action. Unfortunate, but it's fine. Who knows we'll see some new prospects in the meantime making it hard for him to even get a chance with us. 

1 minute ago, shamrock said:

Sure it's gonna be a waiting game till he's 24 or 26 and if England doesn't come, surely he'll choose Canada to get some international action. Unfortunate, but it's fine. Who knows we'll see some new prospects in the meantime making it hard for him to even get a chance with us. 

I'm thinking that if he isn't called up for the following Nation League or next Euro, then the writing will be on the wall and committing to Canada for the 2022 WCQ campaign might happen.

The knowledge that he'd virtually be guaranteed to start in a 2026 World Cup game with Canada must be on the back of his head. He's definitely going to wait it out until then.

11 minutes ago, shamrock said:

This. I don't really expect him for the 2022 cycle. If he comes, it will be in more than a few years time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Clarification of earlier post: Tomori scored an own goal for his parent club Chelsea while playing for Derby in the League Cup. There was debate as to whether Chelsea would let him play as the parent club of a loanee gets to choose whether they can play against them. The joke is that Chelsea let Tomori play because he had orders to sabotage his team (referring to Derby).