Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It reminds me of that one guy on mlssoccer.com from Atlanta, who has like 7 accounts - and manufacturers fake conversation in an attempt to create a pro-Atlanta narrative.:lol:

I've heard mention of that guy on mlssoccer.com several times. I'm curious how people were able to figure out it was one guy? How is that a known thing? I've seen on this forum that sometimes a mod confirms that a couple accounts are coming from the same IP address, but they wouldn't do that on mlssoccer.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomori played a full game for England U21(under 23) in a friendly vs Romania U21:
http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/mar/24/england-u21s-romania-report-240318

Tomori was not even in the squad for the qualifying game today for England U21 vs Ukraine U21:
http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/mar/27/england-u21s-ukraine-report-270318
http://www.uefa.com/under21/season=2019/matches/round=2000803/match=2022369/lineups/index.html

Reports in the last few days are saying he will switch to Nigeria (but will focus on his club form first!):
http://saharareporterssport.com/osun-state-deputy-gov-i-want-my-nephew-tomori-to-play-for-eagles/
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=27062

:(

Obviously we know what his extended family wants... (not surprising really)

I don't think Tomori  is going to give up on England just yet; especially for a defender where it takes longer to shine. At this point he is way down the England depth chart at CB or RB, but all he needs is to have a strong season next year  and get back to the EPL and things can change quickly

I always said this guy will be lured by the prospect of playing for Nigeria in the World cup. When you look at the calibre of defenders, you must ask "why not him"?

I don't see him holding out for an England call. I think it will be Nigeria or Canada.

I can see a surprised inclusion to the Super Eagles before the world cup, but time is runing out, which is kinda good news for us, because the next big games for Nigeria would be African Cup of Nations, but we have our own league of Nations coming up - important games we can sell to him.

Edited by Obinna

I would think that the big difference between England (and likely even Nigeria) and Canada is that an England U23 player, even if he is great, has no guarantee that he will step on the field for the national team.  It's one thing to be one of the best 21-22 year olds that a England has.  Its another to be one of the best for England period.  As for Canada, if we have a superstar U23, we cap tie that youngster the first chance we get.

I hope Herdman or someone can  convince him to come back. But Canada needs to start winning and pay against better  teams. Players want to win and play in big games vs the best. England  qualifies for everything and Nigeria plays against CFA teams who are really really good and middle of pack European teams. I hope it’s not true about his family pushing him to play for Nigeria, I wonder if Ola Aina is trying to  convince him, both are on loan  from Chelsea to Hull City. 

Canada could really use him ! Same with  Ferreira ( even if his  injury prone )

41 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I would think that the big difference between England (and likely even Nigeria) and Canada is that an England U23 player, even if he is great, has no guarantee that he will step on the field for the national team.  It's one thing to be one of the best 21-22 year olds that a England has.  Its another to be one of the best for England period.  As for Canada, if we have a superstar U23, we cap tie that youngster the first chance we get.

Umar Sadiq Mesbah is a 21 year old striker playing with NAC Breda (3 goals 5 games) on loan from Roma. He has 4 goals in 6 games at U23. Still early days, but no senior caps.

Victor Osimhen is a striker at Wolfsburg. 19 years old. Has no U23 caps. Has 2 senior caps already.

So yeah, at least with Nigeria it can be a mixed bag.

For us, it is rare when a standout at U23 doesn’t have senior caps.

25 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I hope Herdman or someone can  convince him to come back. But Canada needs to start winning and pay against better  teams. Players want to win and play in big games vs the best. England  qualifies for everything and Nigeria plays against CFA teams who are really really good and middle of pack European teams. I hope it’s not true about his family pushing him to play for Nigeria, I wonder if Ola Aina is trying to  convince him, both are on loan  from Chelsea to Hull City. 

Canada could really use him ! Same with  Ferreira ( even if his  injury prone )

I think Nigeria has made 5 of the last 6 World Cups, which is not a guarantee, but I would say his chances of playing in a WC is nearly just as good with Nigeria as it is with England.

But again, I don’t see him waiting for England when he has the Nigeria option. Better players than him left England for Nigeria (Alex Iwobi and Victor Moses come to mind).

But you also have guys like Jordan Ibe (Bournemouth by way of Liverpool) holding out, so you never know.

Ibe is 22 by the way.

Like Canada (but not as talented) Nigeria's strength is in their forwards and midfielders. Their defenders are not at the same level. so this may open up a spot for Tomori on their squad. I would be surprised though if it happens for this WC. Ola Aina , a fullback,who has been starting consistently for Hull (Tomori has not), only got 5 minutes in yesterday's friendly game for Nigeria. Keeping my fingers crossed, but it does look like we will be competing with Nigeria vs. England for his services.

Maybe i'm being optimistic, but as a Chelsea youth player wouldn't he have been a shoe-in for the Nigerian youth squads? The dearth of defensive talent would have been more pronounced at the youth level and Nigeria U20's would have arguably looked better on his resume. I think the fact he played for us at U20 AND enjoyed himself and made friends should not be discounted so easily.

58 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Maybe i'm being optimistic, but as a Chelsea youth player wouldn't he have been a shoe-in for the Nigerian youth squads? The dearth of defensive talent would have been more pronounced at the youth level and Nigeria U20's would have arguably looked better on his resume. I think the fact he played for us at U20 AND enjoyed himself and made friends should not be discounted so easily.

I agree with the last part, but as for the Nigerian youth squad thing, well I am not surprised he chose England over Nigeria. I think England was the more prestigious choice, despite Nigeria enjoying a lot of youth success. 

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree with the last part, but as for the Nigerian youth squad thing, well I am not surprised he chose England over Nigeria. I think England was the more prestigious choice, despite Nigeria enjoying a lot of youth success. 

I was talking about him choosing Canada instead of Nigeria before he made it on England's radar.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

It is an odd one. I wonder who played the part in getting him out to our programs to begin with? He was only born in Canada and moved to England when he was 2. I don't see why he would have any attachment to Canada we should naturally be his 3rd choice after England and Nigeria.  

The way he was treated and his experiences with Canada U20 is definitely not to be taken lightly though and could play a big role down the line.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ola Aina (21 yrs), who was on loan to Hull from Chelsea and a teammate of Tomori (20 yrs), was dropped from the final Nigeria squad. Aina made 46 appearances in the Championship/FA Cup for Hull this past season. In comparison Tomori had 26 appearances for Hull.....

Tomori may not be a lost cause....just saying

10 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Does anyone know how much he played in the Tuelon Tourney?

Played 45 minutes in the first game vs China:

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/may/26/england-u21s-china-toulon-tournament-260518

Did not play vs Mexico:

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/may/29/mexveng-toulont-290518

Did not play vs Qatar:

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/jun/01/england-qatar-toulon-010618

• 3 weeks later...