Raheem Edwards

Dub Narcotic

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TOCanada115 said:

Watched the whole game. I’m an Edwards guy, but he was not good. 

Yeah, he nearly gave away a penalty that turned out to be just outside of the box (Vela dive that conned the ref but Edwards did take the bait), and he coughed up the ball for counter attacks and passed it away a couple times. I'm too lazy to watch it again, but he might have been culpable on the game winning goal as well, give that it was delivered to the far post.

20 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Yeah, he nearly gave away a penalty that turned out to be just outside of the box (Vela dive that conned the ref but Edwards did take the bait), and he coughed up the ball for counter attacks and passed it away a couple times. I'm too lazy to watch it again, but he might have been culpable on the game winning goal as well, give that it was delivered to the far post.

It might have been a mix up, but Edwards had a body on someone..looked like Vasquez? was floating alone on the far post.  But the keeper spilled it and the CB didnt get to it first to clear, so lots of blame to go around.   

Yeah I gotta disagree with the idea that he was poor.  You can say he almost gave up a PK but the other way of looking okay it is that he knew he had to try and make the tackle and did so just outside the box.  To me that showed good awareness in the context of a split second decision.  He was hustling all game and had some pretty good plays.  

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Edwards got a 7.1 rating on Fotmob, 3rd highest on his team (higher than Crepeau's 6.3).

83% pass completion, 1 chance created, 7 passes into final third, 4/4 accurate long balls, 5/6 tackles won, 4 interceptions, 12 recoveries, drew 3 fouls.  

I'd say he had a damn good game.  

Which only speaks to the flaws in these free sites that try to rate players performance based on a single number. Not that statistical analysis isn’t a good thing but we fool ourselves into believing these are fully accurate. This is more like a weather forecast. It’s sometimes right and it’s sometimes wrong.

If you were working in the analytics department of a club last night and you used that footmob rating as an overall assessment of his play, I am sure your boss would say “yeah but it wasn’t a good game, here’s all the reasons why, fix the model so it better captures the situation” 

Some debate might follow on the trade offs between the stats you pointed out and the areas of shortcoming but in totality I think anyone watching would be hard pressed to say that was a shining performance. 

He was incredibly shaken defensively and gave away possession at the wrong times.

I like Edwards but I’d be certain he’ll be cleansing last night from memory.

Edited by ag futbol

5 hours ago, Shway said:

Edwards is a winger converted to a full back. 

Which is what he looked like with that foul on Vela way too near his own box.  

Apart from one really poor cross field pass giveaway in midfield, I really liked what he brought in the attacking third.

15 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Which is what he looked like with that foul on Vela way too near his own box.  

Apart from one really poor cross field pass giveaway in midfield, I really liked what he brought in the attacking third.

Every defender makes poor challenges....I still think he's good 1 v 1 defensively and in attack.

Edited by Shway

Just now, Shway said:

Every defender makes poor challenges....I still think he's good 1 v 1 defensively and in attack.

I watched a few Galaxy games throughout the year and to me he's better going foward than defending.  

Agreed, every defender makes poor decisions with challenges every once on awhile.  That one on Vela was one.

4 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Which only speaks to the flaws in these free sites that try to rate players performance based on a single number. Not that statistical analysis isn’t a good thing but we fool ourselves into believing these are fully accurate. This is more like a weather forecast. It’s sometimes right and it’s sometimes wrong.

If you were working in the analytics department of a club last night and you used that footmob rating as an overall assessment of his play, I am sure your boss would say “yeah but it wasn’t a good game, here’s all the reasons why, fix the model so it better captures the situation” 

Some debate might follow on the trade offs between the stats you pointed out and the areas of shortcoming but in totality I think anyone watching would be hard pressed to say that was a shining performance. 

He was incredibly shaken defensively and gave away possession at the wrong times.

I like Edwards but I’d be certain he’ll be cleansing last night from memory.

So, because you, an amateur, disagrees with the player's rating, there must be a flaw in the model? How incredibly arrogant of you. 🙄

And, for the record, I know nothing about this player's performance in this particular match beyond what I've read in this thread.. I don't even ever go check on player rating sites very often. I just find the logic you're using to be astounding.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, shermanator said:

Think it's safe to say that Edwards has played his way off the World Cup squad today, if he was on there to begin with. Struggling mightily against a side we should be dominating.

I dont understand these posts. I don't think he makes the team but it wasnt because of this game. On a day where the team lacked an sort of spark, he was everywhere on the pitch. He was at least visible on the field. MAK, Richie, Allistar, Waterman and Cav all had rough games, yet people are ready to pick on Edwards. He should of had an assist on the Kone header

Edited by blueseeka

2 hours ago, blueseeka said:

I dont understand these posts. I don't think he makes the team but it wasnt because of this game. On a day where the team lacked an sort of spark, he was everywhere on the pitch. He was at least visible on the field. MAK, Richie, Allistar, Waterman and Cav all had rough games, yet people are ready to pick on Edwards. He should of had an assist on the Kone header

I liked Edwards too. For me he was intense and insistent, and he should have had an assist.

2 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Yeah. I think Edwards was one of our better players today. It wasn't a hugely impressive performance, but like you said, Johnston, MAK and Waterman were not good.

I'm a big Alistair fan, but he really was poor. Waterman being outmuscled on the first goal. Yikes. And MAK. Where do I even go with that one... Seriously questioning whether he should even be in the 26. It's that bad.

Didn't notice Cav much, but maybe that works to your point about visibility. The only one I disagree with is Richie. I thought he had an OK game.

But overall, it was not a good showing from Canada, and frankly, a very disappointing result that makes me question how deep we are on the world stage after our best four or five players. 

Edwards is the least of our worries right now since he likely won't make the roster. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

4 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Yeah. I think Edwards was one of our better players today. It wasn't a hugely impressive performance, but like you said, Johnston, MAK and Waterman were not good.

I'm a big Alistair fan, but he really was poor. Waterman being outmuscled on the first goal. Yikes. And MAK. Where do I even go with that one... Seriously questioning whether he should even be in the 26. It's that bad.

Didn't notice Cav much, but maybe that works to your point about visibility. The only one I disagree with is Richie. I thought he had an OK game.

But overall, it was not a good showing from Canada, and frankly, a very disappointing result that makes me question how deep we are on the world stage after our best four or five players. 

Edwards is the least of our worries right now since he likely won't make the roster. 

David, Borjan, Davies, Vitoria, Buchanan, Hoilett, Larin, Eustaquio, and Hutch.

It's more than just our best four or five. We were missing our best eight or nine players.