Raheem Edwards

Dub Narcotic

10 hours ago, Sal333 said:

David, Borjan, Davies, Vitoria, Buchanan, Hoilett, Larin, Eustaquio, and Hutch.

It's more than just our best four or five. We were missing our best eight or nine players.

In-form Hutch, yes. Otherwise, Vitoria is a serviceable CB. Maybe you can count him as a player who can perform against global opposition, but I'm not sure honestly at his age. Larin is not getting many minutes at Brugge. Hoilett is a sparkplug, but c'mon. He is not on the same level as Davies, David and Eustaquio.

Again, no disrespect to these guys, as they are decent players and I very much appreciate what they have done for the team. But we really only have maybe four or five guys at any given time playing for top teams in the best leagues. 

Btw, did you look at Japan's roster? A huge portion of players are in Bundesliga.

I just looked at Serbia's roster to see if Mitrovic made it. He didn't, but then you see who did. Many guys play in La Liga and Serie A.

I'm going into the World Cup hopeful, but with the injuries and poor form, I cannot say I am optimistic. I would love to be wrong, though, and want to see this team go as far as possible. 

Edit: Forgot Borjan. I agree he is a top GK, though he does have his brainfarts. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

• 4 months later...

Raheem Edwards 🇨🇦 vs Portland 🇺🇲

💯 8/10 Rating

90 Min

️ 1 Shot

🦶 96 Touches

🎯 62/68 Passes (91%)

↗️ 2/4 Long balls (50%)

️ 3/4 Dribbles (75%) 

️16 Recoveries + 3 Clearances 

💥 2 Interceptions + 1 Block

💨 2/2 Aerial (100%)

🦵3/4 Tackles (75%)

👊 8/12 Duels (67%)

He has had very strong performances n the two matches I've seen him play. He has always been very threatening in the attacking third while playing LB but he has been able to tighten up his passing in the build up play (he tended to give the ball away with ill-advised passing decisions in the vulnerable areas of the pitch).  As a left footer, he is also comfortable going wide and thus provides more space for the attacking in-land players to utilize.  As a defender, he is still average and can get taken for a dance by a crafty winger while his first touch isn't as velcro as I'd like it to be, but overall he is having a really good stint under Vanney with the Galaxy.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Haven’t watched him this season but he was excellent against Bahrain and we could have used a left footed wide player especially after Adekugbe dropped out. 

Didn’t realize how crucial this is.
Liam wants to cut in on his right every single time, sometimes a little to early.

He got to play about 59 minutes in front of 82 000+ fans in the El Trafico derby. It was the MLS match with the highest attendance of all time.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-history-el-trafico-at-rose-bowl-sets-single-game-attendance-record

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Next time we roll out a B squad I want to see him. We played Ahmed at LB last night and he was fine and I understand he plays there for Vancouver, but I think he was the only left foot we could realistically put out there. Edwards could have at least been an alternative. He's gained plenty of MLS experience now and is young enough to contribute this cycle. Not saying he's as good, but he has roughly the same amount of experience in MLS as Laryea and he's the same age. Just a solid depth option we could lean on if needed, so I hope we see him continue to hang around the fringes at least. 

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:
2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Starts for LA Galaxy vs Austin FC. 

If ever the match gets played.

Apparently, it will. Q2 Stadium just released an update from its meteorologist to say the threat of lightning should pass by 10:55 p.m. CT, and that kickoff should occur between 11:20 and 11:40 p.m. CT. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

Is Adekugbe injured? Hasn't seemed to play much the last few games and I don't recall seeing his name on the bench for Houston. Edwards meanwhile is starting at LB and has done so the entire season. Only a few weeks until the Japan match. Does it make sense to call Edwards in for Adekugbe? It's a friendly after all, so if Sam has a niggle it's probably a great chance to see Edwards again and evaluate him against a top international side, see if he has what it takes to contribute this cycle. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Is Adekugbe injured? Hasn't seemed to play much the last few games and I don't recall seeing his name on the bench for Houston. Edwards meanwhile is starting at LB and has done so the entire season. Only a few weeks until the Japan match. Does it make sense to call Edwards in for Adekugbe? It's a friendly after all, so if Sam has a niggle it's probably a great chance to see Edwards again and evaluate him against a top international side, see if he has what it takes to contribute this cycle. 

I agree. As things are going right now, it doesn't make sense to call in Adekugbe given what you've stated. 
I don't have him in my 23, but he has 4 games before the friendly to turn it around. 

Also it all depends on the formation being played. If it's 3, in the back I don't think he replaces adekugbe. There are a few guys who are already currently playing that in Davies, and Millar.

Edited by Shway

3 hours ago, Shway said:

I agree. As things are going right now, it doesn't make sense to call in Adekugbe given what you've stated. 
I don't have him in my 23, but he has 4 games before the friendly to turn it around. 

Also it all depends on the formation being played. If it's 3, in the back I don't think he replaces adekugbe. There are a few guys who are already currently playing that in Davies, and Millar.

Right.

Another point - I think players like Adekugbe and Hoilett coming back is going to be illuminating, because we can now evaluate players with the same measuring stick. If Sam gets healthy but doesn't lock down a starting spot on Vancouver, do we then look to Edwards, someone who has been starting in the same basic position? I love Hoilett, but if he re-signs for Vancouver in 2024 and isn't one of their better attackers, it may lead to fans wanting him dropped, whereas if he goes back to the Championship I feel fans won't call for him to be dropped as long as he's starting most games. Starting most games won't be enough in MLS and it's not even clear he'll start most games for Vancouver, at least down this final stretch.

3 hours ago, Shway said:

Tbh, I think its choinierre and ahmed who would take adekugbe's spot. 

Whether or not edwards deserves it, I just dont see him getting the call over those 2 guys who still have unknown ceilings and are more positionally versatile. 

Is there any reason to believe the rumoured (and now ancient even if true)  dustup  between Edwards and Arfield left the CSA having second thoughts about selecting him? He's been a pretty consistent MLS player for a while now but never seems to be in the mix,  the general discussion, or even in the roster notes to explain his omission.

12 minutes ago, nolando said:

Is there any reason to believe the rumoured (and now ancient even if true)  dustup  between Edwards and Arfield left the CSA having second thoughts about selecting him? He's been a pretty consistent MLS player for a while now but never seems to be in the mix,  the general discussion, or even in the roster notes to explain his omission.

He only became consistent when he joined LAFC in 2021 and with Herdman using wingbacks in most of his formations that meant there were two spots up for grabs at LWB which were Davies and Adekugbe. Not to mention Laryea's ability to also slot in.

17 hours ago, nolando said:

I personally think there is 0% truth to edwards not being selected due to a "dust up". 

He simply hasnt ever been better than our other options. 

Theres the theoretical depth chart that edwards is on but if we are talking about which player subs on in the event of an injury, the order is likely: 
1. Davies
2. Adekugbe
3. Laryea
4. Millar
5. Ali
6. Choiniere
7. Bombito - Since he would (presumably) already be in the squad.
8. Shaff- he gets the call up before edwards. 
9. Edwards 

You could argue that hoilett can go to RWB and Buchanan goes to LWB. 

If we play with a back 4 than realistically a guy like kennedy/cornelius fills in at lb instead of shaf, but the concept remains the same. 

18 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I personally think there is 0% truth to edwards not being selected due to a "dust up". 

He simply hasnt ever been better than our other options. 

Theres the theoretical depth chart that edwards is on but if we are talking about which player subs on in the event of an injury, the order is likely: 
1. Davies
2. Adekugbe
3. Laryea
4. Millar
5. Ali
6. Choiniere
7. Bombito - Since he would (presumably) already be in the squad.
8. Shaff- he gets the call up before edwards. 
9. Edwards 

You could argue that hoilett can go to RWB and Buchanan goes to LWB. 

If we play with a back 4 than realistically a guy like kennedy/cornelius fills in at lb instead of shaf, but the concept remains the same. 

Agreed.

I think it's a simple as this:

Edwards starts for the LA Galaxy at LB and has done so for some time, but Davies and Adekugbe have understandably been ahead of Raheem, no problem with that. Then, Laryea can slot into the LB roll, so at any given camp you don't need more LB cover than that. Hell Miller can play there too, or Liam Millar if we are playing with wingbacks.

I think Edwards in theory could/should be as high as 3rd in the depth chart, based on performance and level of play, minutes played, etc., but when you have multiple players who can slot into that roll if needed, there's really no point of bringing in your 3rd LB.

Same as ZBG on the right hand side, you don't really need him when 1. Johnston and 2. Laryea can be backed up by Buchanan, Hoilett, etc. 

• 4 weeks later...