Dub Narcotic

7 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Where does Laryea st

and in the LB/LWB charts. 

Not a big fan of 3-4-3, but you could fit them all in this way:

Davies           David             Tajon                                

Adekugbe  Eustaquio  Kone  Laryea    

Miller            Vitoria            Johnston

Big issue being a red hot Larin would need to be benched to start.  However it does permit some strong defensive focused play with high potential hoof ball and dump and chase style play.

30 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And I really don’t think you can bench Larin at this point.   We don’t have the luxury of being so deep in talented that we can rest a guy starting every game in La Liga.  

But we do. We also have another hot striker so if the plan is to play one striker chances are he’s on the bench. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

And I really don’t think you can bench Larin at this point.   We don’t have the luxury of being so deep in talented that we can rest a guy starting every game in La Liga.  

Agreed, however benching Laryea isn't exactly ideal either.  He brings a lot to the 11.

11 hours ago, costarg said:

Not a big fan of 3-4-3, but you could fit them all in this way:

Davies           David             Tajon                                

Adekugbe  Eustaquio  Kone  Laryea    

Miller            Vitoria            Johnston

Big issue being a red hot Larin would need to be benched to start.  However it does permit some strong defensive focused play with high potential hoof ball and dump and chase style play.

I would counter with 3511 - Davies and Buchanan wingbacks, Larin in front of David. 

Technically, Laryea has played almost as much in the centre as he has on the left, though it has been a while.  And I think we have good options emerging in central midfield beyond Eustaquio and Kone.  

Could he play the Johnston role if fitness is an issue?  It's not like Johnston is your proto-typical centre back, though he is stronger, especially recently. 

Just throwing some silly ideas out there. 

Laryea: there is a general opinion here that if Nottingham Forest want to loan him out, he is obliged to go. Not true. No player can be forced out if they are on contract, you don't have to accept a loan, you can always take your chances. I like it in his case. 

My impression is that there is a general misunderstanding about how loan negotiations go. I am constantly hearing about this or that to be sent away, or transfered out, and then the player states they are not leaving. You dig in and have a bit of a chat.

This is not complicated from a negotiation standpoint. Your agent says you won't accept a loan, the club may say, but hey, we won't give you minutes. And you politely state you believe in your chances, you believe the manager will assess you fairly, that you have something to contribute, and you are staying. This would be the right year to do that, imo, in this case. Maybe last year he did not want to risk and needed minutes leading into the WC. This year there is no NT risk at all. 

A player has to show he believes in himself. He's a NF player, he will train with them, he has the skill and the quality to be there. If the manager does not want to play him, fine, his loss. But the fact is over a season there are injuries, you will get a chance to prove yourself, other teammates do not do a good job, there are late game situations. No right-minded manager and club kills off an asset just on a matter of principle. 

So I am in favour of Richie sticking with Forest and not renewing any sort of loan with TFC.

I feel like with our roster, Richie's role will be the first guy off the bench / first injury starter replacement. The issue is with just the location of our skill players.

In a 3-5-2, Buchanan and Davies take those wide spots over him (with AJ as RCB)

In a 4-4-2, AJ is the RB, but I prefer the 3 men in the middle (the WC showed our 2 man central was weak)

The issue is the undeniable starters are in his spots. The players in of his level ie. the 'starter-bubble quality' (CBs, third CM, GK) are in the positions he doesn't play. 

I feel he could thrive in the super-sub role, he's already fast as heck (combined with a quirky style that messes up defenders), but a fresh fast Richie against tired regular defenders. Boom.

Edited by rydermike

9 minutes ago, rydermike said:

I feel like with our roster, Richie's role will be the first guy off the bench / first injury replacement. The issue is with just the location of our skill players.

In a 3-5-2, Buchanan and Davies take those wide spots over him (with AJ as RCB)

In a 4-4-2, AJ is the RB, but I prefer the 3 men in the middle (the WC showed our 2 man central was weak)

I disagree with this. 
The 3-5-2 is correct.
But imo in a 4-4-2 I have Laryea over Johnston 9x out of 10. They are equally solid defensively, but Laryea offers more going forward. 

I think AJ is much more defensively solid. Laryea is the much better offensive player, but sometimes he can get too committed on offense and then gets caught too far up on a counter (which is why I prefer him in a 352). Plus in a 442, the two wide mids would be Davies and Buchanan (again two offensive players), which is why I prefer AJ as a more defensively reliable player to play behind an offensive wide mids.

In CONCACAF, sure we can utilize a more offensive RB, but on the World stage, we need to solidify the back. But they need to develop that familiarity in that style first

Edited by rydermike

14 minutes ago, Shway said:

I disagree with this. 
The 3-5-2 is correct.
But imo in a 4-4-2 I have Laryea over Johnston 9x out of 10. They are equally solid defensively, but Laryea offers more going forward. 

Just a feeling but in a 4-4-2 I think we would see hoilett or oso as one winger and buchanan as the other with davies at LB. (I get the feeling that herdman sees davies as a lb/lwb from now on unless its against some minnows).

With davies at LB, I think johnson is picked at RB. This frees up davies to attack as much as he wants and johnston will tuck inside as defensive coverage. 

If davies play LM then I think laryea and AJ start instead of adekugbe.

3 hours ago, Shway said:

I disagree with this. 
The 3-5-2 is correct.

Johnston has been much better in the final third since moving to Celtic, whether it's in more open games against Rangers or against deeper blocks. He doesn't have the assists to show for it but some of the chances he creates off his crossing/passing are terrific and he looks way more comfortable there. AJ had one or two really good balls into the box against Honduras as well, so it's starting to show with the national team.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Laryea: there is a general opinion here that if Nottingham Forest want to loan him out, he is obliged to go. Not true. No player can be forced out if they are on contract, you don't have to accept a loan, you can always take your chances. I like it in his case. 

My impression is that there is a general misunderstanding about how loan negotiations go. I am constantly hearing about this or that to be sent away, or transfered out, and then the player states they are not leaving. You dig in and have a bit of a chat.

This is not complicated from a negotiation standpoint. Your agent says you won't accept a loan, the club may say, but hey, we won't give you minutes. And you politely state you believe in your chances, you believe the manager will assess you fairly, that you have something to contribute, and you are staying. This would be the right year to do that, imo, in this case. Maybe last year he did not want to risk and needed minutes leading into the WC. This year there is no NT risk at all. 

A player has to show he believes in himself. He's a NF player, he will train with them, he has the skill and the quality to be there. If the manager does not want to play him, fine, his loss. But the fact is over a season there are injuries, you will get a chance to prove yourself, other teammates do not do a good job, there are late game situations. No right-minded manager and club kills off an asset just on a matter of principle. 

So I am in favour of Richie sticking with Forest and not renewing any sort of loan with TFC.

Richie isn’t young though. Say he does this and it backfires and NF don’t play him for a year. All of a sudden he’s 30 years old, out of soccer for a year, his future prospects won’t be as hot. You had mentioned this last year, but he went on loan to TFC, he now “”””allegedly””””” has teams interested in him, he also has the prospect to just resign directly with TFC for good wages that allow him to play at home, he’s in a decent spot. If NF get relegated I hope that they want to play him, but if it’s a case where he’s an injury sub that plays very few minutes over the entire year, it might affect his future earnings potential, and he doesn’t exactly have many years left to make his money.

4 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Isn't this common in the UK though? The go train with the kids approach to forcing someone out, particularly with unknown and inexpensive players?

In many countries you can't be forced to  "train with the kids' if you're on a first team contract. I think in England they can send you to get minutes with the u23s but not sure if it isn't just game time. I think there's an EU principle that calls it a form of workplace mobbing, I recall a case from over 20 years ago where Barça tried to force Amunike out after he had a long-term injury and the jurisprudence was clear: you fulfill your employment obligations, as a right, in the designated workplace for your job description. You can't take one worker in an office and put their desk and computer in the boiler room. And you can't force a first team player to go do anything with the kids.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Just a feeling but in a 4-4-2 I think we would see hoilett or oso as one winger and buchanan as the other with davies at LB. (I get the feeling that herdman sees davies as a lb/lwb from now on unless its against some minnows).

With davies at LB, I think johnson is picked at RB. This frees up davies to attack as much as he wants and johnston will tuck inside as defensive coverage. 

If davies play LM then I think laryea and AJ start instead of adekugbe.

Disagree. The strength of Canada is to have both Davies and Buchanan on the wings as they both have speed and can run at defenses.  That spreads the defense and gives our midfield more space to play which is needed as they are more 8’s and 6’s than 10’s. If you remove one, the other side just shifts to frustrate Davies and tightens up the midfield to reduce space for the others.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In many countries you can't be forced to  "train with the kids' if you're on a first team contract. I think in England they can send you to get minutes with the u23s but not sure if it isn't just game time. I think there's an EU principle that calls it a form of workplace mobbing, I recall a case from over 20 years ago where Barça tried to force Amunike out after he had a long-term injury and the jurisprudence was clear: you fulfill your employment obligations, as a right, in the designated workplace for your job description. You can't take one worker in an office and put their desk and computer in the boiler room. And you can't force a first team player to go do anything with the kids.

On my way back, 

a few I found from semi recently

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19601326/wesley-fofana-train-leicester-u23s-chelsea-transfer/

Wesley Fofana forced to train with Leicester U23s after he is banished from first-team amid Chelsea transfer bids

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11764921/southamptons-charlie-austin-told-to-train-with-clubs-u23s

Charlie Austin is unhappy at Southampton after being told to train with the U23s, Sky Sports News has been told.

https://punditarena.com/football/andrew-dempsey/ireland-jeff-hendrick-ciaran-clark-newcastle-u23-pre-season/

Ireland international duo Jeff Hendrick and Ciaran Clark have reportedly been forced to train with Newcastle’s U23 side, as the Toon Army get set for pre-season.

11 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

On my way back, 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19601326/wesley-fofana-train-leicester-u23s-chelsea-transfer/

Wesley Fofana forced to train with Leicester U23s after he is banished from first-team amid Chelsea transfer bids

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11764921/southamptons-charlie-austin-told-to-train-with-clubs-u23s

Charlie Austin is unhappy at Southampton after being told to train with the U23s, Sky Sports News has been told.

https://punditarena.com/football/andrew-dempsey/ireland-jeff-hendrick-ciaran-clark-newcastle-u23-pre-season/

Ireland international duo Jeff Hendrick and Ciaran Clark have reportedly been forced to train with Newcastle’s U23 side, as the Toon Army get set for pre-season.

U23 in England must have full pro status or be seen as an extension of first team.

In Spain if you have a 1st team contract you can't be sent to the B team, only in the case of injury recovery, but you do that with a physio apart anyways.

15 hours ago, An Observer said:

Disagree. The strength of Canada is to have both Davies and Buchanan on the wings as they both have speed and can run at defenses.  That spreads the defense and gives our midfield more space to play which is needed as they are more 8’s and 6’s than 10’s. If you remove one, the other side just shifts to frustrate Davies and tightens up the midfield to reduce space for the others.

I agree that having threats on both sides creates much better balance in our attacking play. However, Oso is 100% a "10" when you look at the spaces he occupies in the attacking 3rd. 

However, davies occupies such a high space even as a left back. Hondorous is not going to forget about davies and focus solely on buchanan just because davies starts at LB. Thats why I think oso or hoilet would start on the other wing as opposed to a guy like millar who would hug the wing and occupy the space davies would typically run into. Oso or hoillet would float centrally giving davies the channel. 

Another progression of Davies at bayern is dribbling from left back into central positions. This would probably get attention from one of the winger or fullback( depending which space oso occupies) a number 6 and potentially a CB. As a winger, davies would be less likely to dribble centrally and instead receive passes centrally - most likely in situations where hes in the half gap between CB RB and CDM. Thats much easier to defend as the defense will have more time to shift towards davies side into a low block, while davies dribbiling into that central space is more likely to happen during the sideways shifting of the defence. We have seen that davies ends up playing hero ball when he plays as a winger/striker and receives the ball in attacking spaces rather than dribbling into attacking spaces. 

14 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

On my way back, 

Ryan Fraser is training with the u23's at newcastle
nbombele at spurs 
shelvey at NF
Ali at besiktas
VDB at united
Barton at everywhere 
drinkwater at chelsea
rose at spurs