Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

Think he deserves a shout-out from last night. Was far from perfect, but I counted at least 5, maybe 6 positional changes during the game. He is so versatile it allows for so much tactical flexibility and movement within the team. He move of blowing by defenders and cutting in didn't work against Robinson, who is a Premier League quality fullback himself, however he certainly didn't look worse than him.

He has been in the team of the week 5 times so far this season. Over a 3rd of his games he is best IX. He is too good for MLS and needs to move on somewhere, anywhere. 

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Think he deserves a shout-out from last night. Was far from perfect, but I counted at least 5, maybe 6 positional changes during the game. He is so versatile it allows for so much tactical flexibility and movement within the team. He move of blowing by defenders and cutting in didn't work against Robinson, who is a Premier League quality fullback himself, however he certainly didn't look worse than him.

He has been in the team of the week 5 times so far this season. Over a 3rd of his games he is best IX. He is too good for MLS and needs to move on somewhere, anywhere. 

Agreed on the above. 

Just to add, I've never seen anyone handle or predict Laryea's movement like Robinson did.  Really showed the gap between our D and the US's.

12 hours ago, cornerkick said:

Ritchie's loan with TFC expires at the end of June, right?  So he will likely have his contract status sorted out during the Gold Cup?

Gotta think if NF were recalling him he would have to depart for pre season, but a loan/transfer to a Championship club or other may still happen. For NF loaning Richie is of no benefit. He's not a young player that needs to develop. So if  he's not with them, you would think they would sell him to recover their transfer fee

I feel like Olympiacos could be the right club/level/situation for Richie right now:

• Big club competing for trophies
  • European football (they are in Europa league qualifiers)
  • Good enough domestic level of play (Greece is not stellar, but it's decent)
  • Regular playing time should be acheivable (On paper seems like he'd be in contention)

More importantly to all of these is the Nottingham forest-Olympiacos connection, which is why I brought them up. In truth there are plenty of clubs Richie could go out on loan to, or join permanently, but just thinking of a non-Championship alternative that could be realistic. 

53 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I feel like Olympiacos could be the right club/level/situation for Richie right now:

• Regular playing time should be acheivable (On paper seems like he'd be in contention)

More importantly to all of these is the Nottingham forest-Olympiacos connection, which is why I brought them up. In truth there are plenty of clubs Richie could go out on loan to, or join permanently, but just thinking of a non-Championship alternative that could be realistic. 

Bracketing out the Europa games (and to be honest I don’t put a ton of weight behind them as deal breakers for a transfer) I am not convinced that playing in Greece is a superior competitive environment be playing in MLS.  I know TFC can be a bit of a dumpster fire, but with the growth in quality within MLS I don’t think we are still in a situation where any mediocre European league can be seen as a superior option.  Maybe it is still clearly superior - I admittedly haven’t watched any appreciable amount of Greek soccer. But a quick glance at a few league ranking has MLS either ahead of or just behind Greece.  

…and not to belabour it but I just checked participation in Qatar by league of origin.  MLS was in 6th place with 36 players.  The Greek wasn’t in the top 10 which means they had less than 23.  Obviously that would get bumped up if they qualified their national team, but that didn’t happen in the last two cycles which itself says something.  

I think he stays in Toronto. They made it a thing when we went to NF that he moved his entire family to England which was out of the ordinary for a player on loan at his age. Don’t know if he’d have the appetite to be away from his family for so long or to displace his kid unless it was for a big contract. His next move is likely his last before he starts moving in the opposite direction, so assuming champions league or Europa is out of the question for a loan and the teams that would pay him more than Toronto are slim pickings, I’m not sure I see a move for him.

One move that might work in a few years is something to the Middle East. Go to Saudi Arabia, play against a very high quality of imported players, make a boatload of money, etc. 

On 12/10/2015 at 8:28 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

Central midfielder, born Jan. 7, 1995 in Toronto. Came up entirely through Sigma academy and then committed to the University of Akron after a Syracuse commitment fell through while playing for Sigma in L10 in the summer. Twice won NCAA player of the week this year (his sophomore year), led Akron in scoring and to the FInal Four. Has played for Canada at the U-18 level.

Has been tabbed as a GA signing by topdrawersoccer for the 2016 draft and is #9 overall on their big board.

Sorry, I have nothing to contribute. I just love reading the first post of threads like this when the player massively overperforms expectations. This is perhaps the best example!

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Bracketing out the Europa games (and to be honest I don’t put a ton of weight behind them as deal breakers for a transfer) I am not convinced that playing in Greece is a superior competitive environment be playing in MLS.  I know TFC can be a bit of a dumpster fire, but with the growth in quality within MLS I don’t think we are still in a situation where any mediocre European league can be seen as a superior option.  Maybe it is still clearly superior - I admittedly haven’t watched any appreciable amount of Greek soccer. But a quick glance at a few league ranking has MLS either ahead of or just behind Greece.  

I agree with that. I don't watch a ton of Greek soccer either, but what you're saying about the level sounds right. However, my thinking is that it's an Allistair Johnston Celtic/SPL situation. Play in an inferior league, but with a better club that's used to winning. I think that's good for our players. It could be an interesting place to go on loan for him.  

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree with that. I don't watch a ton of Greek soccer either, but what you're saying about the level sounds right. However, my thinking is that it's an Allistair Johnston Celtic/SPL situation. Play in an inferior league, but with a better club that's used to winning. I think that's good for our players. It could be an interesting place to go on loan for him.  

Yeah he was the example that made me doubt my own post lol.  I suspect the $$ is better in many European leagues as well - even if the competition isn’t.  

20 hours ago, Obinna said:

Probably more importantly than a NF-Olympiakos connection, is the connection between his agency and Olympiacos. He is a Sigma guy after all, and Axia Sports Mgmt is connected to the Smyrniotis' in some way.

9 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Probably more importantly than a NF-Olympiakos connection, is the connection between his agency and Olympiacos. He is a Sigma guy after all, and Axia Sports Mgmt is connected to the Smyrniotis' in some way.

Olympiakos just signed the Espanyol coach who was fired for results mid-season, Diego Martínez. Most think he is solid enough, and then the other coaches at Espanyol did no better, so he's a bit off the hook. 

I also agree with many here that the level in Greece looks to have fallen, I am not sure of the competitive level as I was once.

18 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Good point! Forgot about that completely. 

13 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Is he linked to Greece or is this wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking rumour that I started inadvertantly. It was supposed to be more of a thought experiment than a rumour.

There are no links out there, to be clear. 

Another big loss for TFC. I get that Richie is a team player and incredibly versatile, but playing him at CB is just dumb. It negates most his strengths and highlights his weaknesses. Really hoping he can get a transfer to another European team or that NF want him back for pre-season, because he's got to get out of the TFC dumpster fire ASAP for the sake of his own career.

1 hour ago, Wasp said:

Another big loss for TFC. I get that Richie is a team player and incredibly versatile, but playing him at CB is just dumb. It negates most his strengths and highlights his weaknesses. Really hoping he can get a transfer to another European team or that NF want him back for pre-season, because he's got to get out of the TFC dumpster fire ASAP for the sake of his own career.

Bradley has a CB being paid $770k on the bench that he doesn't trust and would rather play Laryea there.

That team is absolute shambles

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Wonder if Larin's success has helped open doors 

Would be great if true.  

The only stuff coming out the Nottingham press (which still has to fill webspace and column-inches) is semi-sympathic filler stuff about him being the "right man at the wrong time."  Essentially they are looking to purge from a bloated squad.