Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

10 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I might be alone here, but I'm disappointed in this move. Oh well.

Same. I’m pretty indifferent between this and him going back to TFC, but at least TFC have young players that are interesting to watch, VWC is basically just Ali Ahmed and that’s it, so this doesn’t do much for me.

37 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Same. I’m pretty indifferent between this and him going back to TFC, but at least TFC have young players that are interesting to watch, VWC is basically just Ali Ahmed and that’s it, so this doesn’t do much for me.

I immediately thought of Ahmed, they teamed up really well at the Gold Cup, at least while Ahmed was playing MF.

50 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I might be alone here, but I'm disappointed in this move. Oh well.

I think anyone saying they're not at least a bit disappointed would be lying, but ultimately he's in a bit of a weird spot because he's not a young player who is willing to take a lower-wage deal to prove themselves in a Belgium or Netherlands anymore, and he also doesn't necessarily have the CV to get a European team to give him the kind of money he would demand in MLS.

Ultimately, at long as he's not part of the TFC trainwreck and on a competitive MLS side as a clear starter, he's going to be able to play and stay sharp to come in and do what he does for us whenever called. We all agree that he's more than capable of playing in Europe, but he could always end up buried on the bench somewhere even if it's a top-5 league and I'm not sure that would have been a better situation than VWFC anyway.

20 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I really expected him to be loaned/sold to  a Championship club. Guess this is the end of his Euro hopes and the challenge to push to another level

Underwhelming, but It's a loan, it's doesn't end his Euro hopes. He could very well sign for a Championship Club next season. IIRC, Lareya asked to be loaned to TFC instead of lower in the English pyramid. This could just be him wanting to stay in Canada.

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

I immediately thought of Ahmed, they teamed up really well at the Gold Cup, at least while Ahmed was playing MF.

Yeah, I’ve never really followed VWC because of their lack of exciting Canadian players, but the Lareya x Ahmed partnership could be really interesting to watch. At least one of have more reason to follow all three Canadian teams now.

The fact that this is a loan is what makes it interesting.  Maybe they haven’t given up on him completely and could see him in their plans if they yo-yo back down to the Championship.   It isn’t the end of the world that they don’t see him as a squad player in THE BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD (that was for you, UT).  They didn’t try to throw him overboard - they put him back in a comfortable environment where he will stay 100% tuned up and be assured of playing time.  

Not saying it is ideal but I would rather him there than the flaming bag of dog shit that is TFC these days.  

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Think it's another case of us over rating our players 

Not sure it's 100% that man. None of us see him playing in a top tier team of course, but he can't play in championship, or France or any other league in a mid level team? For me that's the disappointing part.

Of course the part we never factor is family...I'm not going on any information I know, but maybe family also plays an important part of decision. 

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I really expected him to be loaned/sold to  a Championship club. Guess this is the end of his Euro hopes and the challenge to push to another level

How about being a best 11 FB in MLS?  MLS all star etc??  He has been a bright spot on a middling to poor TFC team.  He still has another level to reach, be the top dog in MLS.  Much like Kamal..pretty good, but no defender of the year, best 11 etc etc on his mantel.  Just because you stay in the same league doesnt mean you cant bring it up a notch or two.  

As a Whitecaps fan it is an exciting signing for us. Gives us more character and pedigree, improves the players around him, is a boost as we try to go deeper in Leagues Cup. 

This is a partial replacement or cover for Gressel, who is a right side mid or fullback, can also go forward, and it also seems the Caps have spent the money for the transfer and his salary saved to help do the deal.

But objectively, I do find it odd he has not gone for a chance at Forest, we all know he could certainly be a squad player for them.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As a Whitecaps fan it is an exciting signing for us. Gives us more character and pedigree, improves the players around him, is a boost as we try to go deeper in Leagues Cup. 

This is a partial replacement or cover for Gressel, who is a right side mid or fullback, can also go forward, and it also seems the Caps have spent the money for the transfer and his salary saved to help do the deal.

But objectively, I do find it odd he has not gone for a chance at Forest, we all know he could certainly be a squad player for them.

yeah, i feel the same. Excited he's coming to Vancouver, but I'm still hoping he gets a shot at playing with a solid club in Europe.