Richmond "Richie" Laryea

Dub Narcotic

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just wondering if there has been any rumbling about Richie’s status as an NF player or if the loan back to Toronto is heading towards permanency based on the way things were going pre-WC.  

Haven't heard anything myself. I am just expecting him to return to Toronto at this point.

I was hopeful his good performances would make them reconsider, but despite playing well we went 3 and out in the end. Tough group and all, and our play suggested we deserved more, but perception can be powerful.  Without getting to the knockout round, it wasn't the true Cinderella story that would have catapulted him to front of mind. Japan, Australia and (especially) Morocco stole that limelight - which was painful to watch as a fan, knowing how close we could have been had we beaten Belgium. I honestly think that momentum would have been enough to get something from Croatia, Morocco, or both. 

Anyway, maybe he was just a "knockout round game" away from getting recalled to NF.....but who knows.

On 1/4/2023 at 3:34 PM, Obinna said:

Without getting to the knockout round, it wasn't the true Cinderella story that would have catapulted him to front of mind.

This is the harsh reality -- not just for Richie, but the whole squad. Also, success would have meant more games, and more games would have meant more opportunity for others to impress. 

4 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

This is the harsh reality -- not just for Richie, but the whole squad. Also, success would have meant more games, and more games would have meant more opportunity for others to impress. 

are you really saying that 0 and 3 results at the World Cup are so damning that talent scouts for the entire world  automatically dismiss the players who achieve those results?

39 minutes ago, eramosat said:

are you really saying that 0 and 3 results at the World Cup are so damning that talent scouts for the entire world  automatically dismiss the players who achieve those results?

Not "automatically". If you were a scout, wouldn't your player search start by first looking at the teams who got results? Doesn't mean the search ends there, but I bet it starts there as opposed to the reverse.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Not "automatically". If you were a scout, wouldn't your player search start by first looking at the teams who got results? Doesn't mean the search ends there, but I bet it starts there as opposed to the reverse.

Not even the supposed new stars and high rising players are getting anything automatic. I'd like to see a list of post WC transfers. As we sit, so far, I think Johnston is one of the best.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not even the supposed new stars and high rising players are getting anything automatic. I'd like to see a list of post WC transfers. As we sit, so far, I think Johnston is one of the best.

Technically his deal was in the works before the tournament as well, so I guess that only half counts in terms of "post WC transfers".

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'd be curious to see that list, too.  Being the midseason transfer window in Europe may be a factor.  The summer window post traditional June/July World Cup has more flux.

I really think David's stock took a hit here.  I would love to see that be proven wrong with a significant move elsewhere in the final weeks.

With Laryea, I am still not convinced that the current make up of his loan club side, with Forza Italia on either wing being the attacking focal points, suits his skill set, even with the return of the more complementary abilities of Osorio to the fold.  I hope that opnion also proves to be wrong with a.good start to the season.

22 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I'd be curious to see that list, too.  Being the midseason transfer window in Europe may be a factor.  The summer window post traditional June/July World Cup has more flux.

I really think David's stock took a hit here.  I would love to see that be proven wrong with a significant move elsewhere in the final weeks.

With Laryea, I am still not convinced that the current make up of his loan club side, with Forza Italia on either wing being the attacking focal points, suits his skill set, even with the return of the more complementary abilities of Osorio to the fold.  I hope that opnion also proves to be wrong with a.good start to the season.

I don't expect David to this window after doing zilch at the World Cup. I am happy he scored upon his Lille return, but I doubt any more January goals are going to seal him a transfer now. Best I am hoping for is for him to stay hot, maybe crack 20 league goals (he's at 10 right now) and earn a solid move in the summer. He seems to be fixated on England, but those Bayern rumors must be attractive. Maybe more teams come into the fold as the season closes. Besides, it's an easier transition to move in the summer. I just hope the deal concludes earlier so he can get settled quickly at his new club. 

If he goes on a cold streak now and doesn't break his old goal tally of 15, I will get very concerned that a move won't happen. Remember, Lille paid 30M for him. They are probably unlikely to let him go for less than 45M, but buyers willing to pay that for a 23 year-old striker who cannot score more than 15 Ligue 1 goals may be few and far between. 

Like yourself though, I would love to be proven wrong, watch him move somewhere in a few weeks, and kill it. 

29 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't think that David's stock took a significant hit- scouts probably think very poorly of CANMNT, so they watched a Canada side that had no players able to provide him with service and a manager who was not able to maximize his most lethal attacker's abilities- very similar to David's situation at Lille last year, especially after the Christmas break. I think he could've elevated his stock by displaying some incredible individual efforts, but I think at this point, scouts know that David is a player who must be maximized with great wingers who can find him in lethal spots. Regardless, he's still one of the best options on the market at his position- would teams pay 45 million euros for a player whose goals + assist total is one less than Kylian Mbappe while playing on an exponentially worse team? Absolutely.

I think Laryea showed he can hold his own against top opposition for Nottingham Forrest to give him another shot. Especially once they're all but guaranteed to be relegated, which is very likely to happen (currently out of the relegation zone though!!), they'll have some very expensive bills to pay next year, and having Laryea as an option for them when they're back in the Championship is not a terrible idea, at least to me. But NF have probably seen enough of him in training where a few WC matches probably don't make much of a difference.

39 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don't think that David's stock took a significant hit- scouts probably think very poorly of CANMNT, so they watched a Canada side that had no players able to provide him with service and a manager who was not able to maximize his most lethal attacker's abilities- very similar to David's situation at Lille last year, especially after the Christmas break. I think he could've elevated his stock by displaying some incredible individual efforts, but I think at this point, scouts know that David is a player who must be maximized with great wingers who can find him in lethal spots. Regardless, he's still one of the best options on the market at his position- would teams pay 45 million euros for a player whose goals + assist total is one less than Kylian Mbappe while playing on an exponentially worse team? Absolutely.

I am talking about this particular window, in response to the @Unnamed Trialist inquiry.  He clearly wants to move to the bigger time right now but I am not sure it will happen in this window.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, narduch said:

Speculation that Richie could head back to England if Forrest relegate. They are currently only 2 points above the drop with 11 matches left.

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2023/03/22/nottingham-forest-man-richie-laryea-named-in-mls-team-of-the-week/

I love seeing some of the clubs with history back up (dirty Leeds aside of course😉) but Forest's owner is pretty shady.  And all that is aside from how Richie was treated.  

Love to see him with another Championship club or similar. Would certainly take him if the unspeakable happens and we go down. Our defending right side has been pretty toilet recently.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I love seeing some of the clubs with history back up (dirty Leeds aside of course😉) but Forest's owner is pretty shady.  And all that is aside from how Richie was treated.  

Love to see him with another Champions club or similar. Would certainly take him if the unspeakable happens and we go down. Our defending right side has been pretty toilet recently.

I think they would have to fire Cooper.

But if they relegate they probably will

• 2 weeks later...

Forest have only two of their remaining nine games against bottom half opponents, and one of those is away to Crystal Palace. They have the most difficult remaining schedule of any team in danger of relegation. I'd say there is a very high likelihood that they'll go down. Then it'll probably be a firesale to dump salary. Could be a good chance for Richie, but the morale next season may not be great.