Ayo Akinola

masster

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thing is, our country also needs someone to sing our glories with the biting irony we deserve as well. We haven't got there, musically speaking, and are a long way off still I fear.

I like to think we have taken more understated approach to our songs.  The Hip tell Canadian stories in a more subtle and poetic way.  Stan Rogers made beautiful and iconic Canadian music.  Etc. 

I don’t need the Canadian equivalent of some Springsteinesque song that we can all obliviously shout while draped in the flag at a tailgate party.  That is part of American culture that I will happily leave to them.   

23 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

So what kind of reception is Ayo going to get when he steps on the field vs the USA? I think he is the type of guy who would thrive if he gets booed

I think so as well.  When you hear of his background and the things he dealt with, you don’t overcome those challenges without developing some pretty kick-ass resiliency.  

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thing is, our country also needs someone to sing our glories with the biting irony we deserve as well. We haven't got there, musically speaking, and are a long way off still I fear.

Thread sidetrack incoming.

Depends on what you listen to or have listened to.

Where I am from helps but I think All Hell For a Basement by Big Wreck is a bitter sweet tale about a decent chunk of the working man's Canadian dream.  

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  Similar?

Fireworks - Tragically Hip

"Four Strong Winds - Ian and Sylvia maybe a little regional again.  

Big Yellow Taxi has some Canadian and regional elements.

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Thread sidetrack incoming.

Depends on what you listen to or have listened to.

Where I am from helps but I think All Hell For a Basement by Big Wreck is a bitter sweet tale about a decent chunk of the working man's Canadian dream.  

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  Similar?

Fireworks - Tragically Hip

"Four Strong Winds - Ian and Sylvia maybe a little regional again.  

Big Yellow Taxi has some Canadian and regional elements.

Yeah, the last thing I need/want from Canadian culture is to look at American culture and think “man, we need to do that too”.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, the last thing I need/want from Canadian culture is to look at American culture and think “man, we need to do that too”.  

I almost think that something like Bran Van 3000's "Drinking In LA." is essentially Canadian.  Why I am here doing nothing in LA? because I thought I needed to go to America/be American to succeed.   

(Says the guy who had to go to England to follow professional dreams. Man am I homesick) 

Anyway, give Akinola the start and let him play his Canadian heart out. 

Wheat Kings by the Hip also comes to mind about a specific story that we shouldn't be proud of. Subtle is good, but maybe sometimes we do need to be shaken up and have things thrown right in our face. We may decry American exceptionalism but Canadians have that in spades as well, just sometimes we're more smug about it.

Thanks Ayo for kick starting this important discussion :D 

7 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Wheat Kings by the Hip also comes to mind about a specific story that we shouldn't be proud of. Subtle is good, but maybe sometimes we do need to be shaken up and have things thrown right in our face. We may decry American exceptionalism but Canadians have that in spades as well, just sometimes we're more smug about it.

Thanks Ayo for kick starting this important discussion :D 

If anyone wants a large reminder of the need for Canadian humility, Secret Path by Gord is a pretty on-point reminder of a very current issue.   

3 hours ago, RS said:

Nah. It's called a one-time switch for a reason.

@Shway heard correctly. If you file a switch, but are never fielded, you can apply to switch back. So 'one time switch' is a bit of a misnomer and FIFA refers to it as a 'change of association'.

Reference: FIFA in January 2021, Article 9, Paragraph 5:

"5. A player that was: a) granted a change of association; and b) was not fielded in a match in any (official or unofficial) competition in any kind of football by the new association, may request a change of association back to his former association provided he continues to hold the nationality of such association."

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/ccab990abf45fcf6/original/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi-pdf.pdf

So *now* Ayo is officially official.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

If anyone wants a large reminder of the need for Canadian humility, Secret Path by Gord is a pretty on-point reminder of a very current issue.   

Hopefully by Sunday night we will be able to sing the lyrics to Lightfoot’s “Wreck of the Greggory Berhalter”. 

“The legend lives on from Akinola on down to the big lad they call Cavallini, 

Larin is said to leave defenders for dead, which is same thing they say about Phonzie....”

17 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

@Shway heard correctly. If you file a switch, but are never fielded, you can apply to switch back. So 'one time switch' is a bit of a misnomer and FIFA refers to it as a 'change of association'.

Reference: FIFA in January 2021, Article 9, Paragraph 5:

"5. A player that was: a) granted a change of association; and b) was not fielded in a match in any (official or unofficial) competition in any kind of football by the new association, may request a change of association back to his former association provided he continues to hold the nationality of such association."

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/ccab990abf45fcf6/original/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi-pdf.pdf

So *now* Ayo is officially official.

I stand corrected, thanks (I will edit my previous post to prevent confusion).

So yes, one-time switch is a misnomer. That being said, the switch back can only be done once. So if for example Ayo played for the USA, switched to Canada but never played, then switched back to the USA, he would be locked into the USA for life -- a 'one-time switch back'.

13 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Hopefully by Sunday night we will be able to sing the lyrics to Lightfoot’s “Wreck of the Greggory Berhalter”. 

“The legend lives on from Akinola on down to the big lad they call Cavallini, 

Larin is said to leave defenders for dead, which is same thing they say about Phonzie....”

I don’t know how that would translate into a large drunken chorus, but I like it. 

I'd start Ayo as the motivation is clear as day and every moment the US players on the field and the knowing fans in the stands see him, is a modest middle finger at their entire programe. 

Lucas and Larin did not hook up well at all last match, I wonder if Ayo could do better with Cyle. 

I also like putting Laryea and Larin on the pitch together, since they are school buddies, they inspire each other. And Larin also feeds on the mistreatment he got from MLS and the entire Orlando organisation. 

I'd also start Hoillet. I like the idea of having technical, more attacking players, in the middle. Hoillet knows how to defend if he is called to. Besides, he is without a club, he needs a strong performance against a stronger rival.

Tajon has also shown a much better attitude coming back. As long as the technical mids know they have to support the back line, we are set. After that MLS video with the pundit slagging Piette, gotta start Piette. Use all the negatives and criticisms against certain players, our defensive set-up, to our favour.

We'll get forward when we can, as long as we can keep things tied for half an hour, we'll start to see chances for ourselves.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I also like putting Laryea and Larin on the pitch together, since they are school buddies, they inspire each other. And Larin also feeds on the mistreatment he got from MLS and the entire Orlando organisation. 

lol what, I don't think Cyle gives much of a shit to be honest, he's career trajectory since then justifies everything.

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

lol what, I don't think Cyle gives much of a shit to be honest, he's career trajectory since then justifies everything.

So if three years ago your bosses tried to screw you over, binding you to an inferior deal and halting your career growth, forcing you to straight out defy the contract and challenge them to take it on legally, you would not remember?

Footballers are not necessarily great minds, but I have never met any footballer who did not remember a club or coach that treated them unfairly.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So if three years ago your bosses tried to screw you over, binding you to an inferior deal and halting your career growth, forcing you to straight out defy the contract and challenge them to take it on legally, you would not remember?

Footballers are not necessarily great minds, but I have never met any footballer who did not remember a club or coach that treated them unfairly.

Try human beings in general.  Unless they are Gandhi or Mother Theresa.  Almost every person can name the people who wronged them and love nothing more than getting one up on them or hearing of their misfortune.  Most professionals won’t admit it, like Larin, but you know he is relishing how well he has done since that unsavoury situation at Orlando.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think either of you could be right. 

Camilo (or his agent) was the trail-blazer of calling out MLS on their multiple 1-year contract BS. With that as precedent, Larin may well have known the path forward without much need for hard feelings. 

But then i see it your way too. They wouldn’t pay the guy or entertain reasonable transfer offers, which must have been frustrating.

On 7/17/2021 at 2:19 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Cheers. Of course.  Stupid Canadian late 90s alternative bands with similar names. 

Big Sugar are/were not part of the 'alternative' wave of the '90s. They're far more blues/rock than any of the flood of shit, copy-cat bands that infested the Canadian music scene of that era.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Big Sugar are/were not part of the 'alternative' wave of the '90s. They're far more blues/rock than any of the flood of shit, copy-cat bands that infested the Canadian music scene of that era.

As long as you’re not lumping Matthew Good Band in with this statement, I have no problem with it.