Russell Teibert

Grizzly

2 hours ago, GasPed said:

But then every year with the Whitecaps it's "Any team that starts Russ Teibert is clearly useless - c'mon and replace the guy already!"  And then every year we trot out some shiny new midfielders, and by game 5, lo and behold, Trusty Rusty is starting again.

And with that, they eventually go on to miss the postseason...again.

He scored a from a top notch strike for the winner last night, but prior to that he also had some poor plays that should have been punished.  His engine room, fitness, and commitment have never been an issue but I am of the same opinion as @jonovision.   

I have watched a lot of Whitecaps games and I can see why some can get frustrated with Teibert. He has been known to pass back a lot and he can’t really beat his man off the dribble but I have a soft spot for him… honestly, he’s been playing really well ever since Ryan Gauld came in. He’s played some decent balls up through the channels and I see a lot more confidence in his game. Wish he would start shooting more than twice per year though! I wouldn’t mind seeing him in a Gold Cup coming off the bench or something but would prefer a younger and more exciting player.

The corollary to "if you're good enough, you're old enough", is "if you're preforming well enough, you're young enough".

Yes there are times when we should use a national team call up to further a young player's career or integrate them into the group, but IMO this round is not one of them. I am not of the opinion we should be calling a guy like Fraser in because they're younger then their competition, but because they're earning the spot.

Teibert has started all but 5 league games this season, and featured in all but 1 of them, and has been quietly having one of his best seasons despite the turmoil of the coaching change, etc.

Unless there's dressing room factors or something that we're not aware of, which I doubt, I think he deserves a call, and I 100% agree with @Obinna 's point about (if nothing else) it being about pushing the team.

We dont need a #8 anymore as long as we have players like Davies and now TB who gives us more width than any other team in Concacaf.  And to a lesser extent, JD, who plays more of false #9 instead of a true #9 like Larin.    The role of the box to box midfielder (Like Teibert) has been rendered redundant on the MNT for next ten years by the fact that we might have two of the best wingers in the Concacaf and that means no need for the runs (into space) that Tiebert can give you because of having AD and TB around.  And, you can more than adequately fill the defensive responsibilities that he would have provided by playing two defensive mids #6 (ie.: or one ball winner combined with a distributor). Add  to that, the  fact that Jonathan David is pretty unselfish and likes to drop back to MF a lot to collects ball& participate in the buildup, Then (just like with Arfield) how do you fit a #8 into the current scheme?  You are better off calling up more #6’s like Piette cause you could always use cover in that role and you might need them for late defensive substitutions.

with a setup like the last WcQ, whereby we were playing with Larin at fwd and no Davies and Buchanan,  then you could see Tiebert filling a need.   But not today.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So the mids of the 2nd and 3rd best Canadian teams in MLS are core Canada players, but we can think of plenty of reasons to not give the mids of the best soccer club in Canada a sniff?

Leaving aside the western conference being tougher than the eastern. 

Whisper it quietly, but the laughing stock that was the Vancouver Whitecaps are now the best Canadian team in MLS. 

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Whisper it quietly, but the laughing stock that was the Vancouver Whitecaps are now the best Canadian team in MLS. 

I know it's all moot and that the Voyageur Cup is another parameter, but shouldn't club performance be a factor? 

What was it about TFCs season that gets us active threads on 6-7 players, CMNT futuribles all, most who've had mediocre to plain bad seasons? 

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know it's all moot and that the Voyageur Cup is another parameter, but shouldn't club performance be a factor? 

What was it about TFCs season that gets us active threads on 6-7 players, CMNT futuribles all, most who've had mediocre to plain bad seasons? 

Meanwhile Guiterrez and Godinho both started for Whitecaps and no one noticed 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In fairness, the TFC guys getting profiled are either core members of our current team (Oso and Laryea) or are considered to be next gen prospects (JMR, Nelson, Okello and maybe Shaff).  Tiebert isn’t really either of those things.  

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Meanwhile Guiterrez and Godinho both started for Whitecaps and no one noticed 

That is fair.  I can see both of these guys fighting for time with the senior squad at some point. Gutierrez is one that I need to pay more attention to for sure.  

I'll say the quiet part out loud: Crepeau aside, the Whitecaps' success* thus far has had little to do with Canadian players.

Teibert's having a nice run, but has anyone seen anything out of him to seriously suggest he should be replacing Osorio, Laryea or even Piette on the national team? He's an honest pro making the absolute maximum out of his talents, and maybe he makes the end of the MNT roster in November, but we know what we're getting out of Teibert at this point.

The man to watch is Gutierrez. A solid run of games over the next few weeks should put him squarely on Herdman's radar, although he'd be battling with Adekugbe for that position.

* being one point above Montreal with four games left to play.

Just now, narduch said:

Who is even arguing that?

I thought that was the implication of these posts:

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So the mids of the 2nd and 3rd best Canadian teams in MLS are core Canada players, but we can think of plenty of reasons to not give the mids of the best soccer club in Canada a sniff?

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Who else could that be referring to other than Teibert (and maybe Baldisimo)?

Unless we're suggesting that Ryan Gauld and Janio Bikel deserve a look on the Canadian national team.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It seems most of the threads on TFC players are non Toronto based fans criticizing the fact that those players don't play enough. If you want more discussion on players from your team then participate in those threads and not in the TFC player threads.

54 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

It seems most of the threads on TFC players are non Toronto based fans criticizing the fact that those players don't play enough. If you want more discussion on players from your team then participate in those threads and not in the TFC player threads.

Always the same touchy ones TFCsplaining their way across the entire board.

We're so misguided, you are so right, TFC fans on the Teibert thread warning us to not dare compare with the sacred ones. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Gutierrez played the Kamal Miller role last night. Not sure it looked great, but could make him a bit more versatile and have him competing with more players than just Adekugbe.

He actually looked very good out there in his first match back in an unfamiliar role.  Godinho on the other hand...

Caps were impressive in the second half come back.  The team is finally shaping into something watchable.  Developing some nice depth, for sure. So happy that Guti was back on the pitch. He looked good for the first game in a long time. Godinho also looked pretty solid. Very active, willing to get forward. Both players need to improve in a number of areas, but I've the feeling that IF they keep getting playing time they'll come along very nicely. Guti is a smart footballer and is still getting better. Russell put in a shift, as he does. Crepeau is still the Caps' best player. But Dajome is excellent, and White and Gauld cannot be overlooked.  Cava had a decent outing, held the ball up well, ran his ass off--as he does.  He's still not getting the sort of service he likes, and I am not sure this team is a great fit for him, to be honest.  Wrong skill set.

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I only watched bits and pieces but Godinho looked decent. He had one highlight nutmeg spoiled by a shanked cross.

Put it this way - the shanked/crappy crosses far outnumbered the nutmegs...  ...and it wasn't entirely a coincidence that things turned when he (and Cavallini to be fair) were replaced...

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is fair.  I can see both of these guys fighting for time with the senior squad at some point. Gutierrez is one that I need to pay more attention to for sure.  

Guttierez has impressed but needs to show durabilty.  Not sure if Godinho is even going to be in Vancouver next season and even if he is in the squad rotation, there are two many guys ahead of him on the NT depth chart.  Heck, one of my favs, Brault-Guillard, can't even get into the squad.

The one thing I would say about Godinho is that at the Olympic qualies he did a good job on his off side of LB, while Brown had a clanger there last night.  Surprised they didn't switch sides.