Russell Teibert

Grizzly

22 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Glad to see Rusty have a strong preseason but doesn't anyone else here think that Robbo will be bringing in another experienced d-mid in the coming weeks?  If he loses either him or the Mexican guy, he'll be playing a rookie (Dave Norman, Jr) as the back up while Ghazal mends.  Does Robbo really want to do that (though, obviously, it's great for Cancon)?

Crystal Palace midfielder Jordon Mutch is reportedly set to sign in the coming days. Not a D-mid per se (plays as a two way CM or even a number ten), but still noteworthy in regards to Teibert's time

EDIT: And the Felipe rumours are heating up once again (not in RBNY's 18 man squad for their CCL game tonight, many people reporting that a trade deal involving Felipe, Tim Parker, and allocation money is nearing completion)

Edited by saladroit

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2018/03/02/whitecaps-fc-acquire-english-premier-league-midfielder-jordon-mutch-crystal-palace

Jordon Mutch loan official. Like I said above, actions not words WRT Robo's rating of Tiebert.

Edit: And for the record 7 premier league starts 2 years ago, and now surplus to requirements for a bottom of the table team does not make him a premier league quality player. Admittedly I haven't seen Much of Mutch (;)), but I'm guessing he'll be a marginal upgrade at best.

Edited by A_Gagne

10 hours ago, gator said:

Jordan Mutch was at QPR for a while, always flattered to deceive like many players who were rated then came to the club and failed, he might be ok in MLS!

Mutch did not play much (no pun intended) at QPR Carl, as I'm sure you remember. But the few times I saw him play I thought he looked a very decent box to box midfielder.

I feel like going on a rant here about the number of players QPR bring in and then toss away as not good enough, who then prove to be more than good enough for better teams (did someone say Hoilett?) but luckily this is a Canadian football message board so I will just leave it there!

12 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2018/03/02/whitecaps-fc-acquire-english-premier-league-midfielder-jordon-mutch-crystal-palace

Jordon Mutch loan official. Like I said above, actions not words WRT Robo's rating of Tiebert.

Edit: And for the record 7 premier league starts 2 years ago, and now surplus to requirements for a bottom of the table team does not make him a premier league quality player. Admittedly I haven't seen Much of Mutch (;)), but I'm guessing he'll be a marginal upgrade at best.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will prove to be a lot better than you expect.

22 minutes ago, Pyatkh said:

Everyone is going to talk about Davies, but Rusty has been great today. His passing and vision is night and day compared to last year.

I was just going to post something like this. He was a big reason for their holding possession. Last year we saw our CBs trying to pass the ball out from the back and they would continually give it away. With Tiebert playing just in front the distribution was great. I think it would be hard to take him out of the squad with how he played today.

It's taken nearly five years but it happened. The shocking reality that giving Teibert some creative freedom rather than demanding 90 mins of Chase ball and easy, short, predominantly backwards passing = a fantastic performer. 

Being more of a deep lying playmaker is his best position imo. Let's believe this was the long term vision with the defensive negative drilling, to try and make him a better all round player and machine before giving him back the best part of his game, pinging balls around from deep.

He might be limited for minutes this year with the competition in the squad but performances like today will really demand starting more often than not. Certainly food for thought for Herdman.

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's taken nearly five years but it happened. The shocking reality that giving Teibert some creative freedom rather than demanding 90 mins of Chase ball and easy, short, predominantly backwards passing = a fantastic performer. 

Being more of a deep lying playmaker is his best position imo. Let's believe this was the long term vision with the defensive negative drilling, to try and make him a better all round player and machine before giving him back the best part of his game, pinging balls around from deep.

He might be limited for minutes this year with the competition in the squad but performances like today will really demand starting more often than not. Certainly food for thought for Herdman.

Tonight, Teibert was given more defensive responsibility than ever before. For long stretches he was also asked to controlled of the pace of the game. I didn't think he was suited to play as a loan defensive mid, but he looked good tonight. I hope this is a sign of things to come 

• 5 months later...
37 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

BUMP this thread as he is the main topic on Awuah's thread.  And as if on cue he springs Hurtado with a beautiful long ball in the championship tonight.  Makes us remember he can do more than run around the midfield

Glad to see him getting some more playing time. He is what he is: a steady workhouse, positionally sound, smart, and can ping the ball around nicely. What he isn't is fast, or particularly good around the opponents' 18. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Teibert was far better than Osorio tonight. That is what you get when the coach gives you consistent minutes, consistency. Osorio was mostly not anywhere on the pitch, looking for his little gold star beside the name. 

Floro was right after all.

I'm kinda pissed that I wasn't here for all of these salty Jeffrey posts when they happened.

But seriously, I actually agree that Teibert outplayed Osorio in this game. He looked far more composed and polished than he has in a long time, and (again) I agree that his consistent minutes are having noticeable benefits on the field.

However, if you honestly think that Teibert is better than Osorio overall right now and it's not just your bitterness talking, then perhaps you need to take a break from these boards. Those little gold stars next to Osorio's name? They are championships won by a player who has had to fight for minutes on a much better team than the Whitecaps have been over the past three years.

If all of our players could rise to the challenge in a similar manner to Osorio (and Teibert has been doing that recently), Canada will be much better overall.

Edited by RS

8 hours ago, RS said:

I'm kinda pissed that I wasn't here for all of these salty Jeffrey posts when they happened.

But seriously, I actually agree that Teibert outplayed Osorio in this game. He looked far more composed and polished than he has in a long time, and (again) I agree that his consistent minutes are having noticeable benefits on the field.

However, if you honestly think that Teibert is better than Osorio overall right now and it's not just your bitterness talking, then perhaps you need to take a break from these boards. Those little gold stars next to Osorio's name? They are championships won by a player who has had to fight for minutes on a much better team than the Whitecaps have been over the past three years.

If all of our players could rise to the challenge in a similar manner to Osorio (and Teibert has been doing that recently), Canada will be much better overall.

I'm so glad you liked my post. Osorio is on a team it is far easier to be an important role player on, so you could argue that he is shining because he has the right people around him, and then he does his bit part. Apart from the goal, which is half hit, he pretty well had a minimal impact on the game. So the question is this: is he really emerging as a great player because that is what is really happening, or has it happened because he has all of Bradley, Vazquez and Gio to prop him up on all sides and make him look good?

I mean, honestly now, I like him and am glad he is on a roll. But the hype is hilarious from TFC fans, speculation about him going to play in Europe in Champions League with hardly a serious source for any of it. And Teibert, with about four straight games playing and doing very well, has shown in even less time that with minutes, he is a pretty good player. Better than Bradley last night--and Osorio.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I mean, honestly now, I like him and am glad he is on a roll. But the hype is hilarious from TFC fans, speculation about him going to play in Europe in Champions League with hardly a serious source for any of it. 

You keep mentioning this. Where is it coming from?