Russell Teibert

Grizzly

• 2 years later...
12 hours ago, sandman said:

Congratulations on a long MLS career. Hopefully a CPL deal, or a coaching position is on offer. 

Typically these 30-31 year old veterans of MLS tend to bounce around at this stage before fading into the background. I expect he will do just that for another couple of seasons, unless he really wants to play in CPL or get into coaching (or RE like Tesho).

43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Typically these 30-31 year old veterans of MLS tend to bounce around at this stage before fading into the background. I expect he will do just that for another couple of seasons

I'd be curious as to where in MLS that would be.  He'd take up an international spot and would have to take a significant pay cut for the role a team would use him for.  I'm not seeing much bounce in his specific situation and services but who knows?

28 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I'd be curious as to where in MLS that would be.  He'd take up an international spot and would have to take a significant pay cut for the role a team would use him for.  I'm not seeing much bounce in his specific situation and services but who knows?

As a homegrown he would be a domestic on any team down south.

27 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Me too. There are a lot of MLS teams, so it seems likely to me that another MLS team would take a punt on him for a lower wage, if Vancouver doesn't. I think you have to look at expansion San Diego. But again, this depends on what Teibert wants. He's been in Vancouver a long time. Does he have roots in the Lower Mainland? If so, maybe he leaves some money on the table to play with Vancouver FC or Pacific FC. Maybe he wants to go back to Ontario and play with Forge FC or York FC. Assuming he does want to keep playing at the MLS level, I think there's a good chance someone will want someone with his resume, even if it takes up an international spot. 

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Me too. There are a lot of MLS teams, so it seems likely to me that another MLS team would take a punt on him for a lower wage, if Vancouver doesn't. I think you have to look at expansion San Diego. 

San Diego doesn't start playing until 2025, so that one gets crossed off.  Maybe another team takes a low ball flyer on him; I am just not sure which club would be a good fit.  Playing in only seven league matches on a team that is seen by some MLS pundits as finally on the rise, he was a nonfactor in that, so that doesn't help your case as a free agent (whether that's fair or not is up for debate).

Edited by BearcatSA

8 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I agree that Teibert has had a fine MLS career; however, now it is time to put salary and resources into developing youngsters as Teibert's MLS time has come to an end. 

True, but if you pay him 100k and he is there when you need him, it is money well spent. As long as he accepts not getting the playing time, as he'd end up with 500-600 minutes on a year maybe.

I think in CPL no one has more than 65,000 for a mid of his background, so that is a significant drop. 

I do find it odd to be so close to retirement at his age, frankly.

14 minutes ago, Shway said:

In his entire career he was never an important piece, game changer or influencer. He was always just a role player. 

Knowing this, he wouldn't have much options as a free agent because he doesn't bring anything other than experience...and clubs would rather spend their money and game time to their younger prospects. 

If a team is looking to spend a relatively low amount for some bench depth I could see him potentially getting one more small contract.  Maybe you get the same level of play from a you d prospect, and obviously there is an upside to going young, but Rusty is still a guy who can plug into a midfield role and do a job right from day one.  

Not saying it is likely, but it is definitely possible.   

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I do find it odd to be so close to retirement at his age, frankly.

I think the retirement talk is mostly because he's been a one-club player, and that club maybe isn't as eager to bring him back.  If he'd bounced around a bit, I think we'd simply be trying to figure out where his next club would be.

56 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If a team is looking to spend a relatively low amount for some bench depth I could see him potentially getting one more small contract.  Maybe you get the same level of play from a you d prospect, and obviously there is an upside to going young, but Rusty is still a guy who can plug into a midfield role and do a job right from day one.  

Not saying it is likely, but it is definitely possible.   

Yeah, I saw one of the local reporters making the argument that Teibert will likely take what ever role you give him, even if it's just sitting on the bench.  That it's easy to say "sign a youngster instead", but everyone wants to play and there's only so much playing time to go around and Teibert would likely be someone you can keep on the bench and he won't complain if he doesn't get on.

If the club does bring him back, I do think they need to make it clear that he's no longer the captain.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

In his entire career he was never an important piece, game changer or influencer. He was always just a role player. 

Knowing this, he wouldn't have much options as a free agent because he doesn't bring anything other than experience...and clubs would rather spend their money and game time to their younger prospects. 

I'm sure his agency is shopping him around to other MLS clubs but I wonder what kind of interest he is generating, even with a league wide domestic status.

If experience and being a good team guy is what a rebuilding club is looking for, then maybe he is a fit for it.  However, I don't think Herdman would take him as a transitional vet.  Armas in Colorado?  Neville in Portland?  Montreal?  

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Montreal?  

This would never happen.  1- they have better young players. 2- they have better experienced players.

Edit: No disrespect to Rusty.  Would be a different story if he was a striker or a CB where CFM has little quality and depth.  But that midfield is not lacking. 

Edited by costarg

I'm disappointed he's being let go - as recently as 2022 he was contributing - but if you had told me that a Canadian kid born in the early 1990s would go on to make 250 odd pro appearances in top flight MLS I'd have taken it. And then told me it would be with a Canadian team? I'd have guffawed. And that we'd have sufficient depth that he'd only be a peripheral Nat? I'd have taken your hand off. A nice career that illustrates the importance of getting our guys into stable domestic pro environments and how having MLS has helped maintain our depth.

Edited by The Real Marc