Russell Teibert

Grizzly

I don't like how we use the word 'Form' sometimes... it kinda implies that a guy who plays 2 good games is suddenly that player and not the one we've seen for the past 10 years.

This is gonna come off as me hating Teibert no matter what I say, but I just don't see it. He still just... doesn't do much. I need way more evidence before I'm convinced a 28-year old is a different player, and one goal doesn't change that. He gets a lot of playing time, but I feel like every other midfielder offers a skillset we could use at some point in a game. Say Fraser is a 6/10 at progressing the ball and a 3/10 on defense. Piette is like a 8/10 tackler and quietly improving as a passer. 

Teibert is just 4/10 at everything. It hurts to say, but it's been my impression every time I've watched him He seems like a great leader, but that just isn't enough. 

27 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I don't like how we use the word 'Form' sometimes... it kinda implies that a guy who plays 2 good games is suddenly that player and not the one we've seen for the past 10 years.

This is gonna come off as me hating Teibert no matter what I say, but I just don't see it. He still just... doesn't do much. I need way more evidence before I'm convinced a 28-year old is a different player, and one goal doesn't change that. He gets a lot of playing time, but I feel like every other midfielder offers a skillset we could use at some point in a game. Say Fraser is a 6/10 at progressing the ball and a 3/10 on defense. Piette is like a 8/10 tackler and quietly improving as a passer. 

Teibert is just 4/10 at everything. It hurts to say, but it's been my impression every time I've watched him He seems like a great leader, but that just isn't enough. 

I think part of the issue with Teibert, at least for those of us who have watched him for 10 years, is that he's been played out of position for at least 6 or 7 of those 10 years. He's not a left back or wingback, or wide forward. He's a central midfielder. You're right that he has no one great attribute, though he defends better than I think you or others give him credit for.

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think part of the issue with Teibert, at least for those of us who have watched him for 10 years, is that he's been played out of position for at least 6 or 7 of those 10 years. He's not a left back or wingback, or wide forward. He's a central midfielder. You're right that he has no one great attribute, though he defends better than I think you or others give him credit for.

I have watched him quite a bit and his defensive play reading the game and sealing off passing plays has improved significantly.

The biggest compliment that I can give him is one that would make him the perfect pìtch person for the BC Lotteries Corporation:  know your limit, play within it.  He plays to his strengths and tries to mitigate his weaknesses, not unlike Osorio.

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I have watched him quite a bit and his defensive play reading the game and sealing off passing plays has improved significantly.

The biggest compliment that I can give him is one that would make him the perfect pìtch person for the BC Lotteries Corporation:  know your limit, play within it.  He plays to his strengths and tries to mitigate his weaknesses, not unlike Osorio.

At 18 he was looking to make things happen. He had some games back then but then resigned himself to a central holding player. 

He’s had moments but mostly plays like a classic 00s Canadian player. Consistent but without influence. When he gets a ball in an attacking position you almost cringe at how obvious he is. Switch to the left and have a long telegraphed cross. 

I basically agree with everyone about Russ.  If I had to pick a person he's most like, it's probably Sam Piette.  He sits deep, jockeys, eventually gets the ball and then passes it around til someone better can make a play.  He's not nearly as physical or as good a ball winner as Sam, but he's a better passer.  His effort level is 9/10 just like Sam.  Really durable.  I never look forward to seeing him on the pitch, but I will miss him when he's gone.

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

I use him as an example to many of my U12 players. Depending on who you ask he may not be in the top-half of his side soccer skill-wise but he takes attributes like strength, conditioning, endurance, and leadership so seriously that he makes coaches want to keep him in the mix. Look how many managers he has outlasted at this point.

I've  been to a few training sessions over the years, and I was impressed he was always the first guy there and the last guy off the pitch. While I reserve the right to question his salary within the cap structure, I don't argue the fact that he has worked hard for this team like a true captain should.

He's been played by 10+ managers and has well over 250 games played and people still don't really understand what he's about. Has no-one asked one of his coaches why they select him?

I see a responsible, tidy player with a fantastic engine, that frees up everyone around him to play their game. To me it just feels like people created an image of the player he might become a decade ago, and can't get past that.

12 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

If Piette is on this team , then why not Tiebert ? Right now I think Tiebert is having a better season than Piette . Therefore, I would have no problem with him on the roster in the November window .

Hard disagree. Piette's become a better player this season

Edited by PiedPilko

Piette>>>Teibert for the role he plays alone, since we don't have any mids with similar attributes. What you see is what you get with Piette and that consistency is vital in a qualifying campaign when starters need a rest. I do also think Piette is a better player than Teibert, though I haven't payed close attention to Teibert when watching the Whitecaps.

piette has actually not had a good season as far as playing time...will end the season with the lowest number of minutes and starts in mls since his first season (where he arrived in the second half of the season and thats why he got less than a thousand minutes)...used to be a sure starter but not the case this season...its the opposite on the other hand for teibert...highest number of minutes and starts in his career and been great in the last few games...looks like hes at the peak of his career in this role

21 minutes ago, Big_M said:

piette has actually not had a good season as far as playing time...will end the season with the lowest number of minutes and starts in mls since his first season (where he arrived in the second half of the season and thats why he got less than a thousand minutes)...used to be a sure starter but not the case this season...its the opposite on the other hand for teibert...highest number of minutes and starts in his career and been great in the last few games...looks like hes at the peak of his career in this role

Piette's minutes are down this season, primarily due to not being first choice early on in the season. Nancy seems to be spreading the minutes around this season, not just in midfield but also in the backline and wingback spots. It's a different situation to Vancouver, where Teibert and a few others have been locked in basically the entire season (deservedly). 

At the end of the day I don't think Piette needs to be dropped to accommodate Teibert. Bring them both if you feel Teibert has done enough (I think he arguably has). Piette has been a mainstay and I don't think ending the season on 1700-ish MLS minutes will change that. 

As an aside, Piette has also played 2 Cup games to Teibert's 1 and Rusty was a substitute while I believe Piette started both. I don't recall if he played 90 in both, but if we are getting nitpicky we should tally this up, since Montreal are on their way to the final where Piette will surely play. With these cup games we're looking at an extra +200 minutes for Piette, which closes the gap on the difference in minutes between him and Teibert.  

12 hours ago, SoccMan said:

If Piette is on this team , then why not Tiebert ? Right now I think Tiebert is having a better season than Piette . Therefore, I would have no problem with him on the roster in the November window .

Tiebert is having a better season than Osorio. 

I don't get how you go to the Osorio hagiography thread and they are lauding his play of 3, 4 years ago, just hammering away on past performance. On and on. For me he performs great for Canada, and I am happy to have him. I think he may be better for the NT than Teibert might be, based on his skill set and mentality.

But still: on the basis of club play he would not be called into anyone's NT this year, he'd be watching his country alongside Bradley.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Tiebert is having a better season than Osorio. 

I don't get how you go to the Osorio hagiography thread and they are lauding his play of 3, 4 years ago, just hammering away on past performance. On and on. For me he performs great for Canada, and I am happy to have him. I think he may be better for the NT than Teibert might be, based on his skill set and mentality.

But still: on the basis of club play he would not be called into anyone's NT this year, he'd be watching his country alongside Bradley.

Teibert has been more important to a team that's above the playoff line, has played more games and more minutes. 

Osorio though has more goal contributions than Teibert, in less game time. If Toronto get past Pacific than one of Oso or Piette will have 1 cup to Teibert's 0 (unless Vancouver win MLS cup).

Edited by Obinna