Russell Teibert

Grizzly

5 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

I'm disappointed he's being let go - as recently as 2022 he was contributing - but if you had told me that a Canadian kid born in the early 1990s would go on to make 250 odd pro appearances in top flight MLS I'd have taken it. And then told me it would be with a Canadian team? I'd have guffawed. And that we'd have sufficient depth that he'd only be a peripheral Nat? I'd have taken your hand off. A nice career that illustrates the importance of getting our guys into stable domestic pro environments and how having MLS has helped maintain our depth.

I think there's a debate between "playing vs contributing" and he did more of one than the other. 😉

But yeah, I was reading through some of the threads here over the weekend for some of the "B tier" players and there's a lot of comments along the lines of "if he can only do X, he'll get himself in the national team picture." And I just thought how far we've come, that young players on quality teams in decent leagues are now actually have to keep showing more and are still far from making the national team bench, let alone starting.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:19 AM, Watchmen said:

Yeah, I saw one of the local reporters making the argument that Teibert will likely take what ever role you give him, even if it's just sitting on the bench.  That it's easy to say "sign a youngster instead", but everyone wants to play and there's only so much playing time to go around and Teibert would likely be someone you can keep on the bench and he won't complain if he doesn't get on.

If the club does bring him back, I do think they need to make it clear that he's no longer the captain.

Vancouver has a lot of games on the docket next year, again.

Last year they played 46 games, but they went out of Leagues Cup and the MLS Cup playoffs early, although they did win the Voyageurs Cup and get to the QF of Champions League.

So maybe there will be chances, although one could argue Vancouver will be stronger and Rusty will be a year older...

• 2 months later...

Best of luck to him. Solid pro career which isn’t always a guarantee as a Canadian player (becoming more likely nowadays but Russell beat the odds).

He’s the type that worked his ass for that. Well done Russell. 

I think he'll regret this decision. Is he married with kids and settled in somewhere ? I know he's Mr Vancouver but you only have so long to be paid to play football. He spent his entire career here you'd think he'd want to try another environment. Oh well

Edited by SpursFlu

51 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think he'll regret this decision. Is he married with kids and settled in somewhere ? I know he's Mr Vancouver but you only have so long to be paid to play football. He spent his entire career here you'd think he'd want to try another environment. Oh well

Well I think it’s been evident that he’s been content in Vancouver for some time. Disappointing career overall for a guy who looked like he was going to be a star and Canada regular. Still a nice career. 

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe the deal was on the table and he just took it? No guarentee the deal is there in a few years after he's gone elsewhere to finish his career off. 

The deal would have been there later. I think there was no team in MLS interested in him and he didn't want to drop down to CPL.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

The deal would have been there later. I think there was no team in MLS interested in him and he didn't want to drop down to CPL.

I agree.  I think there weren't any other MLS clubs interested in his playing services so the writing was on the wall, and it was time to move onto his post playing career.

I wish him all the best.

6 hours ago, Ivan said:

One of the best players ever to come out of Niagara.  Him, Paul Fenwick or Jimmy Douglas.

I’m from Niagara and never knew Fenwick was from here. Shoutout Simone Gatti too (I believe you’re a Welland guy no?). 

Yup, Welland guy.  Good call on Simon!  And I used to talk to his dad at the gym (when I wasn't lazy) all the time too. 🙄 Pretty sure Paul was from St. Catharines, his dad was a well known coach there.  There's always Sabrina D'Angelo as well. 😄 I'm sure there's others we're missing.  Joe Belan (Port Colborne) was a good player, but there were no leagues to play in during his time.  Where are you from?   

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Yup, Welland guy.  Good call on Simon!  And I used to talk to his dad at the gym (when I wasn't lazy) all the time too. 🙄 Pretty sure Paul was from St. Catharines, his dad was a well known coach there.  There's always Sabrina D'Angelo as well. 😄 I'm sure there's others we're missing.  Joe Belan (Port Colborne) was a good player, but there were no leagues to play in during his time.  Where are you from?   

Well I remember when I was coaching youth soccer and we would enter this early May tournament in the Niagara area mainly a tournament that stretched from Beamsville to Niagara on the Lake area . Was always amazed at all the soccer fields I saw all around that area some in the middle of farmland . If you were from another country you would think soccer was the biggest sport in Canada lol , well it is at the youth level right next to hockey with basketball right behind I guess , anyways I’m sure we will get more players from the Niagara area in the future .