Russell Teibert

Grizzly

Couldn't find a dedicated Teibert thread. A pretty interesting interview with him touching on subjects such as Robinson who he really likes, some reading between the lines criticism of Rennie, how playing with and learning from Reo-Coker helped him and playing for the national team.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/make-break-year-whitecaps-teibert/?row=3&row_ids=1619401

Correct the spelling to Teibert

Good start to the season for him. No doubt his opportunity has been helped by the fact that Koffie was slightly injured during training camp and hasn't regained full form yet. But Teibert's performances have been positive so far and have given the manager no reason to make any changes at that position.

Edited by masster

Teibert is going to be very solid player for years to come for MLS and Canadian national team.  I could see him having Will Johnson type of career where he will be all-star in MLS while performing well for national team.  

Edited by TFC07

Grizzly you should know, ei is pronounced ai, ie as ee (teebert).

I love the fact that he is playing next to Laba. Great to learn from one of the best on that position in the league. Also, I appreciate Robinson goes for football instead of power on that position. Distribution is soo important for the attacking prowess of a team. 

I hate auto-correct. I finally added Teibert to my dictionary to fix it. So far Russell has been very effective offensively and defending so it looks good for his minutes. I'm sure Gersh will get some time as well. They play the position differently but depending on the opponent either can be effective.

• 1 month later...

Then there is this from the Caps site, in the preview to the match vs RSL:

"The 22-year-old Canadian international is second in MLS with a 90.06 per cent passing completion rate (among players who have completed at least 100 passes)."

That caught my eye, I think he plays mostly safe and short out, but still, good to see.

Teibert's strength has become his ability to play any midfield position well and that makes him the national's team most versatile mid: he can play holding, in the middle and on either flank.

That's his weakness too, of course. He does not dominate at any of those roles. 

He plays a good possession game, links up from the back well, switches the ball, rarely loses possession, his crosses are generally accurate and occasionally he makes a thru-pass that sends a forward in on goal. That's a pretty good midfielder. 

"The 22-year-old Canadian international is second in MLS with a 90.06 per cent passing completion rate (among players who have completed at least 100 passes)."

That caught my eye, I think he plays mostly safe and short out, but still, good to see.

I've checked the Opta Chalkboard and there are a lot of short passes but those are usually in a crowd where the players are trying to create space with quick one touch movement of the ball. I didn't count them all but I'd say 1/3rd are longer passes and usually up the sideline. Only 5 incomplete last night (2 short, 2 long, 1 medium distance) and 32 completions.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-04-18-real-salt-lake-vs-vancouver-whitecaps-fc/boxscore

I was quite surprised to see a midfield with Teibert, Koffie and Laba all starting. That is a very strong midfield IMO. Was Russell in more of an advanced position yesterday with Laba and Koffie as holding mids? 

That was my thought as well when I saw that lineup in the middle. Good luck getting up the middle. It was clearly a strategy by the coach to force RSL down the wings. If the majority of your attacks are lobbing the ball in on crosses with Waston & Kah as CBs and Ousted picking off anything above their heads you are not going to have many scoring chances.

No it was more of everyone taking turns going forward. I noticed Laba far more advanced than usual and Gersh / Russ were back then they would alternate. Russ was forward more than the other 2 but all 3 seemed to join the attack. Gersh and Laba were just ball winning all over the place last night. 

At D mid you cannot take to much risk as every mistake will automatically be a (near) chance for the opponents. I think that is an excellent stat.

• 2 years later...

Teibert was excellent today playing all over the field vs Jamaica. Very much like the role he used to have with the Caps before they decided to focus on Manneh at Left Mid and they had to find a spot for Russ so they forced into holding mid - not a good role for him. He needs to play more advanced to have any impact on the game. 

2 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I thought he did well but I think "excellent" greatly over states the case. He was far too quick to turn back towards his own goal and make a backwards pass, instead of taking the risk of changing the game by going forward. But he was not the only one with that flaw -- no doubt a hold over from the Floro possession era. Well, we won the posession game but the other guys are in the semis.

Actually, I agree - he was good, not excellent. He's picked up that terrible habit from the Caps as well. Saw flashes of the old Teibert today - pinpoint passing, nice crossing. 

I used to be really high on teibert but he's just not at the level we need for a starter. He plays so strange.. extremely bow legged, one footed, can't take on players, takes far too long on the ball, not great in the air or defensively. He looks like he's trying to kill off a 2-0 lead anytime he gets a touch... 

I don't mind him as a sub but there's no doubt starting him was a mistake. Maybe if we move to a 352 he could be a good wingback.. his strength is obviously crossing and he was good at left back in 2012 Olympic qualifiers. 

Edited by Keegan