Russell Teibert

Grizzly

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Tiebert is having a better season than Osorio. 

I don't get how you go to the Osorio hagiography thread and they are lauding his play of 3, 4 years ago, just hammering away on past performance. On and on. For me he performs great for Canada, and I am happy to have him. I think he may be better for the NT than Teibert might be, based on his skill set and mentality.

But still: on the basis of club play he would not be called into anyone's NT this year, he'd be watching his country alongside Bradley.

That's a bit harsh.  😉  The Xavi news got you cranky or happy?  🥺😍

Don’t want to get too far out into the weeds as far as the Teibert vs. Piette discussion, but a lot of Piette’s struggles would be cured by losing 10+ lbs. Dude is chunky.

Rusty had a good performance last night in a must-win game. The ball over the top was excellent. He’s shown much more willingness lately to turn and push the ball forward. If he can do that at the national level for 20 minutes, we have the horses to get on the end of those outlet passes. I think the simplicity of his game could translate well to janky Central American fields.

One thing we can all agree on is this: Russ is playing as good as anyone can expect from him.

Not sure what more he can realistically do if he misses out this time. 

And being the pro that he is, he's probably squarely focused on Vancouver anyway. 

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Rusty has started every match that Vancouver has won this year. 

Why did we never apply this to the American vets when TFC was good? You can divorce a player from their team - you kinda have to if you want a clear picture. 

And I'm just not seeing it. He scored a goal, and then he had another good game a month later (last night). I'm not seeing a completely different player. I feel like I can't say anything about him without people defending his character... I'm not trying to insult him, but starts and minutes /= quality. 

11 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Why did we never apply this to the American vets when TFC was good? You can divorce a player from their team - you kinda have to if you want a clear picture. 

And I'm just not seeing it. He scored a goal, and then he had another good game a month later (last night). I'm not seeing a completely different player. I feel like I can't say anything about him without people defending his character... I'm not trying to insult him, but starts and minutes /= quality. 

Come on, the goal was 11 days ago.

We just finished a window with 2 of our main strikers out (Larin and David).

I"m actually curious who people on this forum would call in if 2 our our CM"s got hurt. Would Tiebert not even be in the discussion?

10 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Deleted 

Edited by Aird25

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I"m actually curious who people on this forum would call in if 2 our our CM"s got hurt. Would Tiebert not even be in the discussion?

Sorry, my bad about the goal.

2 injuries and he's definitely in the conversation. I'd take one of Paton or Teibert depending on who's out. But I think the gap between him and Oso/Kaye or even Piette/Fraser is pretty significant, and it's pretty reductive to use minutes and very selective 'form' to justify it.

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

If you've watched his career up until this point and you still struggle to understand his value, then I'd suggest simply considering the fact that countless managers over a long period of time have relied on Teibert and valued what he offers on the pitch. What's your explanation for that?

Is there any chance that these people, trained and paid to assess players, get to see more of his game than you or have a better understanding of what he brings to a team?

I won't pretend to know what the situation was like a few years ago because I wasn't watching then. At the moment, Vancouver doesn't have a ton of midfield depth, and Teibert is obviously an important leadership figure. He deservedly won that spot over Baldisimo and Metcalfe.

By your logic though, I would question why you're so sure you know more than Herdman who hasn't involved him in any qualifiers or gold cup games.

Edited by PiedPilko

Just now, PiedPilko said:

Sorry, my bad about the goal.

2 injuries and he's definitely in the conversation. I'd take one of Paton or Teibert depending on who's out. But I think the gap between him and Oso/Kaye or even Piette/Fraser is pretty significant, and it's pretty reductive to use minutes and very selective 'form' to justify it.

Tiebert has a better claim for a call up at his position than Brym did for his call up.

I don't think that these back of the roster debates end of being consequential too often, especially in a 2-match window with no travel. That said, Teibert has at the very least put himself into the same conversation as Fraser and Piette, based on league performances only.

Edited by jonovision

38 minutes ago, narduch said:

Yes he would be because I see him as serviceable depth, you know what you are getting in him. Russell is in the same realm as someone like Akindele, they play a role as long as you do not expect too much from them. Not all 11 guys on the pitch at any one time are world beaters, some are lunch bucket pluggers. 

9 hours ago, Cblake said:

Yes he would be because I see him as serviceable depth, you know what you are getting in him. Russell is in the same realm as someone like Akindele, they play a role as long as you do not expect too much from them. Not all 11 guys on the pitch at any one time are world beaters, some are lunch bucket pluggers. 

You are referring to the entire TFC roster this year. 

But on that other thread about the January window you were stuffing any remotely Canadian piece of scrub on TFC into the back-up roster like stocking stuffers at a homeless shelter. 

I mean, what bothers me is the blinkers: on the basis of their season and the team's performance, you would not objectively point to a single player on TFC and say: that player has to go to the men's national team because he deserves it. Because none do. It is a relegation team. 

Objectively: of our regular squad, what players have had poor seasons, either not playing, being out injured or simply have negligible impact, but have played significant minutes for Canada anyways, contributing positively: Osorio, and Junior Hoillet. And maybe Laryea, though I'd say he has had a better club year than Osorio, he basically has done shit for TFC this year.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

A couple of you have said it best: based on current form at club level, Rusty has done enough for Herdman to at least have him in mind should we need serviceable backup at CM, especially if we are thinking of a defensive mid.  As a few of you've noted, the player he's most likely to fill in for would be Piette.  While Piette is tough as nails as a DM, Rusty's got a better engine. I feel Tiebert is also a bit tidier with the ball, but not by much really.  

But any comparisons to Oso or Kaye, even Fraser, make no sense to me.  Rusty doesn't bring what those guys bring; very different profile. Rusty coming off the bench for 20 or so minutes to run his ass off and shut down the midfield as we see out a 2 goal lead: I might prefer him in that role over Piette.  But not by much.

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

Don’t want to get too far out into the weeds as far as the Teibert vs. Piette discussion, but a lot of Piette’s struggles would be cured by losing 10+ lbs. Dude is chunky.

Rusty had a good performance last night in a must-win game. The ball over the top was excellent. He’s shown much more willingness lately to turn and push the ball forward. If he can do that at the national level for 20 minutes, we have the horses to get on the end of those outlet passes. I think the simplicity of his game could translate well to janky Central American fields.

Funny you say that, I've always thought the same of Piette, he looks rather big in the middle, however I've bumped into him twice into the last year, and I was surprised by how slim he looked at the waist in person (yet seriously solid in the shoulders and legs).  Saw him on the TV again later that week, and sure enough he looked chunky again.  Wonder if its just the way he wears his shorts and tucks his jersey or something?

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are referring to the entire TFC roster this year. 

But on that other thread about the January window you were stuffing any remotely Canadian piece of scrub on TFC into the back-up roster like stocking stuffers at a homeless shelter. 

I mean, what bothers me is the blinkers: on the basis of their season and the team's performance, you would not objectively point to a single player on TFC and say: that player has to go to the men's national team because he deserves it. Because none do. It is a relegation team. 

Objectively: of our regular squad, what players have had poor seasons, either not playing, being out injured or simply have negligible impact, but have played significant minutes for Canada anyways, contributing positively: Osorio, and Junior Hoillet. 

I think there are only two players that you would consider regular squad players on TFC right now, Oso and Ritchie. Everyone else is wait and see, they may step up or not which are all the kids. TFC's season has been awful this year. Bringing in some of the kids for a pre-window January camp is no loose situation if they chose to go in this direction. As many say, this is the Golden era with the players the country has right now so its going to be harder and harder to crack for players looking to step up. 

I think there are only two players that you would consider regular squad players on TFC right now, Oso and Ritchie. Everyone else is wait and see, they may step up or not which are all the kids. TFC's season has been awful this year. Bringing in some of the kids for a pre-window January camp is no loose situation if they chose to go in this direction. As many say, this is the Golden era with the players the country has right now so its going to be harder and harder to crack for players looking to step up. 

Which is why you left Baldissimo off your list for January. Sums it up. 

I find the bias tiring, that is basically my point.

But I love watching Osorio for Canada. He rises to the occasion. In Concacaf he also has prestige and can handle the Latino refs.

With Laryea, depends on how he is being played, as he has a loose screw at times and does odd things. I can accept him in a four man back line, if he stays put and focuses; and if he is in the midfield, at least let him attack as he has a bit of a slash and burn talent that is fun and unpredictable. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Which is why you left Baldissimo off your list for January. Sums it up. 

I find the bias tiring, that is basically my point.

But I love watching Osorio for Canada. He rises to the occasion. In Concacaf he also has prestige and can handle the Latino refs.

With Laryea, depends on how he is being played, as he has a loose screw at times and does odd things. I can accept him in a four man back line, if he stays put and focuses; and if he is in the midfield, at least let him attack as he has a bit of a slash and burn talent that is fun and unpredictable. 

There people who have a bias to CPL players and there those who have it for whatever team they follow. Yes I am a TFC supporter and have not interest in the CPL to be honest, so yes it is natural I am going to talk about players I watch for 30+ games each year. it is only natural. For the record I just had to look up Mathew Baldissimo  to figure out why you brought up his name. I am sure the a lot of the backend of the pool is interchangeable so its only natural you are going to talk up your guys. 

There people who have a bias to CPL players and there those who have it for whatever team they follow. Yes I am a TFC supporter and have not interest in the CPL to be honest, so yes it is natural I am going to talk about players I watch for 30+ games each year. it is only natural. For the record I just had to look up Mathew Baldissimo  to figure out why you brought up his name. I am sure the a lot of the backend of the pool is interchangeable so its only natural you are going to talk up your guys. 

Wow.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wow.

What is Wow even mean. Was is a TFC bias when Chris Mannnella or Manny Aparacio were called in for national team games when there was little to warrant it. I do not see what is the issue with having JMR is a pre-camp when he is being talked about the way he is, considering he is one of the more heralded up and coming prospects. 

10 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Your post implies you're a TFC fan first and a Canada MNT fan second.

I follow CFMTL but no way would I want Piette or Choiniere to play ahead of Osorio and Kaye, or Waterman ahead of Johnston.

14 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Or Cavallini for that matter

If his knee is truly still an issue, and the Caps become playoff bound, wouldn't the people who sign his (expensive) cheques insist that he be ready for the playoff push and be held back for more medical/physio treatment under their eyes?

Brym being called up last time and a not-fit (and out of form) Cavallini being on the list but not dressed shows the depth situation in that spot (the not-called Akindele, not withstanding).  Even with the recent Wotherspoon injury and Hutchinson absence, the midfield still looks to be a tighter in-crowd for Teibert to enter.  However, if he gets the call, that would be good news because he has earned it through his play.