Russell Teibert

Grizzly

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

He had a solid game tonight in the Whitecaps win against the Galaxy. Up and down the field, breaking up plays, making smart offensive runs, short and long passes. All while wearing the armband. He's had a really strong start to the season I hope he has a career year. 

He was a beast tonight, for sure. Cava and Ricketts also worked their tails off tonight. Far better game all around.

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

He was a beast tonight, for sure. Cava and Ricketts also worked their tails off tonight. Far better game all around.

Right! Even though his penalty got saved, he still worked hard. Ryan Raposo also came on and put in a shift too!

I'm happy for the CanCaps - it's not good for the nation if their sh!t. 

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, frattinator said:

who needs to be injured for us to call Teibert

If we're forced to go all the way down to Teibert on the depth chart. we are royally F'd

In saying that, if he keeps performing as he has been of late, I do think he belongs in the conversation for a call up if 2 or 3 of the current central players get hurt/suspended etc.  but he's got to seriously perform to get himself in conversation before the MLS season ends.

I'd expect Herdman would have the following guys ahead of him at the least as of right now

Core Guys: Eustaquio, Atiba, Oso, MAK

Rotation Guys: Fraser, Wotherspoon, Piette, maybe even Millar

Other guys who have been called: Paton, maybe Arfield 

Personal wishful thinking: Ferdi as a CAM

If I'm missing anyone, lmk

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Kaye, Eustaquio, Fraser, Osorio, Wotherspoon, Piette, Hutchinson, Arfield, Paton.

He probably needs about 4-5 injuries/suspensions before being called. I'd say Priso is ahead of him as well if healthy.

Osorio, Wotherspoon, Arfield & Paton are essentially different positions 

Teibert plays a box to box holding midfield role. So I would say Eustaquio, Hutchinson, MAK, Piette.

I take Teibert over Priso right now but maybe you take Priso with an eye on the future 

I wouldn't mind seeing Teibert back into the fold. It would be well earned at this point.

He's been an everyday starter for a Vancouver team that's still in the playoff race. 

I wouldn't drop Wotherspoon for him and Liam Fraser is the future, but at the same time I feel we got to reward players for their contributions. Players should be able to play their way back into the team and if there's anyone who's done that in 2021 it's probably Teibert.

So yeah, Teibert for Fraser would be kind of nice. Wouldn't lose sleep over it or anything, just saying it may be a good shout.

Fraser has won 7 caps for Canada in 2021, so he's already cemented as a core player at this point, and I don't see dropping him for Rusty causing much damage to his trajectory. 

Edited by Obinna

Tiebert is tidy, has an incredible engine, and would fit in nicely with the culture of this team. He's a smart player. But, yes, there'd have to be a number of injuries/suspensions before he'd make the roster.  I was at the game last night. He was lively, scored a great goal, but gave the ball away cheaply a couple of times, which is not like him.  Not sure he's that far behind Piette, for instance. Nice to know he's playing well should we need him.

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I'd expect Herdman would have the following guys ahead of him at the least as of right now

Core Guys: Eustaquio, Atiba, Oso, MAK

Rotation Guys: Fraser, Wotherspoon, Piette, maybe even Millar

Other guys who have been called: Paton, maybe Arfield 

Personal wishful thinking: Ferdi as a CAM

If I'm missing anyone, lmk

Millar should and will never play in the CM position.
Arfield is borderline done - he has to get a good run of games soon, to be considered for January, as he's definitely not going to be there come November.
Rusty could be thrown in with the Paton option.

I'm not the biggest Russ fan to be fair. I wouldn't say familiarity breeds contempt, but if there's another opposite cliche to absence makes the heart grow fonder, I'll take that. Despite this, if you need a guy to jump into Herdman's system, both on and off the pitch, Russ is a guy who could easily accept and execute a role in a meaningful match. He's a pro.

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

45 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Teibert back into the fold. It would be well earned at this point.

He's been an everyday starter for a Vancouver team that's still in the playoff race. 

I wouldn't drop Wotherspoon for him and Liam Fraser is the future, but at the same time I feel we got to reward players for their contributions. Players should be able to play their way back into the team and if there's anyone who's done that in 2021 it's probably Teibert.

So yeah, Teibert for Fraser would be kind of nice. Wouldn't lose sleep over it or anything, just saying it may be a good shout.

Fraser has won 7 caps for Canada in 2021, so he's already cemented as a core player at this point, and I don't see dropping him for Rusty causing much damage to his trajectory. 

I 100% agree with that statement. But i've made mention before that there really isn't a barometer where a player can guage themselves as to what it takes to break into the squad. 

For example, Richie Ennin vs Liam Millar. 
Richie is performing in a better league, playing more, and has more goals than Liam in less games but he wasn't called in. 

There's a bit of the familiarity that comes in with a JH squad list, but like we saw with Paton and Pasher getting the calls, you can call for more consistency in giving warranted opportunities. However I understand its tough when you're dealing with coach who heavily believes in camaraderie. 

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I think I would bring in Choiniere or Baldisimo before Tiebert if an end of the roster spot opens up.  Work in guys who might be the future.  

I thought about Baldisimo. I have been a big supporter of his and called for his inclusion multiple times in 2021, but I am beginning to have questions the longer he cannot get ahead of Teibert at the Whitecaps.

We can't really blame it on Dos Santos as he's long gone and Baldisimo is still starting from the bench. 

I love his skill set and his ceiling could be very high. Furthermore, we should be working in guys who might be the future, but in this moment we need the best team top to bottom.

To that end I would go with Teibert over Baldisimo, Choiniere and arguably Fraser and Paton, at least for the next window. 

Quick note on Choiniere: he's a natural center midfielder but he's been playing at wingback and doing well. I think he may be in competition for ZBG at this point, just as he is for club. 

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

I 100% agree with that statement. But i've made mention before that there really isn't a barometer where a player can guage themselves as to what it takes to break into the squad. 

For example, Richie Ennin vs Liam Millar. 
Richie is performing in a better league, playing more, and has more goals than Liam in less games but he wasn't called in. 

There's a bit of the familiarity that comes in with a JH squad list, but like we saw with Paton and Pasher getting the calls, you can call for more consistency in giving warranted opportunities. However I understand its tough when you're dealing with coach who heavily believes in camaraderie. 

This is exactly my point in all of this. It's less about the merits of Teibert specifically and more about rewarding players for their performances. In my humble opinion we need players to know they can play their way in.

It keeps the outsiders hungry and the insiders uncomfortable. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is exactly my point in all of this. It's less about the merits of Teibert specifically and more about rewarding players for their performances. In my humble opinion we need players to know they can play their way in.

It keeps the outsiders hungry and the insiders uncomfortable. 

And keeps the guys with other but lesser national team options hopeful of a call up.

9 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I'm not the biggest Russ fan to be fair. I wouldn't say familiarity breeds contempt, but if there's another opposite cliche to absence makes the heart grow fonder, I'll take that. Despite this, if you need a guy to jump into Herdman's system, both on and off the pitch, Russ is a guy who could easily accept and execute a role in a meaningful match. He's a pro.

Think it is "no one is a prophet in their own land". Which may be the contrary, but clearly overstates this case.

I think he has to be there as a possible depth player to fill in a spot in need; but frankly, what I would like is to see a couple dozen like that, ready to step in to any line if needed. And midfield is not that needed. 

I don't feel Teibert has the intensity at times, perhaps too many years on the same team with mediocre results. And he's captaining that, so the whole shebang at Caps has to take a step up first, I'd say.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Think it is "no one is a prophet in their own land". Which may be the contrary, but clearly overstates this case.

I think he has to be there as a possible depth player to fill in a spot in need; but frankly, what I would like is to see a couple dozen like that, ready to step in to any line if needed. And midfield is not that needed. 

I don't feel Teibert has the intensity at times, perhaps too many years on the same team with mediocre results. And he's captaining that, so the whole shebang at Caps has to take a step up first, I'd say.

IF they can make the playoffs that may be a good start.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know if you can question Rusty's intensity.  That's the one thing he brings every game - effort.  He definitely lacks a bunch of the physical attributes you want, but then every year with the Whitecaps it's "Any team that starts Russ Teibert is clearly useless - c'mon and replace the guy already!"  And then every year we trot out some shiny new midfielders, and by game 5, lo and behold, Trusty Rusty is starting again.  Put it this way, Teibert will rarely win you a game, but he'll never lose you one either.  And in Vancouver, that's pretty much the definition of success...

Edited by GasPed

I agree with some: if we were put in a position where Teibert had to be a 90 minute starter, we're probably already screwed. But I'd say the same about Liam Fraser or Tesho Akindele or Brym.

Bench players are often called upon to do a very specific role. If Herdman wants a guy that can come on for 20 minutes and hound the crap out of an opponent in order to see off a one goal win, all of a sudden Teibert starts jumping up the list.

Still, I don't see it. He's carved out quite the career for himself despite obvious limitations, but I think the quality of the national team has passed him by. No shame in that.

I love having a core group of players and definitely think there is a need for it with so many games over a short period.  However, I am a big believer in rewarding players that deserve to be there.  With this group of players, there are maybe 4 or 5 that are interchangeable with new players.  Teibert for Fraser or Piette would not bother me one bit.  I would even reward Teibert with a call in a short window where depth won't likely play a factor.  Next month, with only 2 games, I doubt all our outfield players play.  In fact, there may only be 15 or 16 players that play over the 2 games.  It wouldn't hurt to include someone who has earned it.  Too bad, Vancouver in January will be the offseason for MLS because having someone who already plays in that city would make sense to be there.  Who knows, maybe he would be back in Ontario for the offseason anyways.