Russell Teibert

Grizzly

1 hour ago, Mike Thompson said:

Why does Robbo like Ibini more than Teibert? The guy was playing in A-League! In Australia, it's not like he's above average Russell who's been in the MLS for over 5 years now 

Players aren't the league they play in. Ibini was a starting midfielder on the best team in the A-League and Teibert is an occasional sub and spot starter on an above average MLS team.

Ibini is a better attacking player and a more natural replacement for Reyna or Techera than Teibert is.

Guys, one proper centre mid who can move the ball eliminates your Tchanis and Ghazals because you have the ball and don't lose it dumbly constantly. We cannot play out from the back line because both are useless in finding the pass and turning with the ball, they are liabilities. Ghazal is constantly trotting, he is damn slow, uncommitted, and then, makes very dumb fouls when he has no position. Tchani is direly limited. 

Put Mascherano in that spot and the who team raises the level enormously. 

Or, failing that, Hutchinson.

Seriously, you have one proper CM who can pass and is strong, you free up another player to link creatively with those up top, or can add another wing. Or can allow your fullbacks to not have to go forward so much. Ghazal+Tchani = one player.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Guys, one proper centre mid who can move the ball eliminates your Tchanis and Ghazals 

Put Mascherano in that spot and the who team raises the level enormously. 

Or, failing that, Hutchinson.

I'll take Yaya Toure please  :) 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Released by the Whitecaps.  Have to figure he'll be in USL next season.

fuck that he'll be in USL... hope he lands on his feet at a club that's got some faith in him and has a clue how to use him. Regardless of the bullshit praise Robo always gave him, he clearly wasn't in the clubs plans for the last couple seasons. Best for him to move on at this point.

Is Tiebert one of the lucky few that count as a domestic league wide??  Awww F$CK it!! Let him to to FC Cinninati or one of the big spending USL squads that everyone seems to want to emulate, make more money, be a domestic, get playing time and a handful of goals and a bushel of assists.  And at every half time interview thank ROBBO for cutting him loose.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Id trade my left nut to be stuck in a pro soccer backup rut like Rusty is.  He's living the dream.  Good for him.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be in his position too! But I just think there has to be MLS teams that would use him, and it seems like Vancouver will not.

And this was the day I officially gave up on Russel Tiebert. What a waste of potential. 

Whatever makes him happy. While I can see he is settled and apparently happy with his lot in Vancouver it smacks of a lack of ambition or serious misplaced trust in a coaching team that a) has consistently shown they don't know how to use him B) rarely do use him and c) have taken him backwards since his breakout seasons as an attacking player and on the face of it ruined his game trying to turn him into s defensive midfielder.

Can but only hope there is a 180 from Robinson and the coaching team and he fortunes better over the next three years. 

From my perspective, the national team and surely his own he needs to be playing weekly at his age. This was his best chance at improving himself as a player, moving on to a new team and coaching staff that would test him and want to play him. 

In the end maybe i feel it's not so much me but Russell Tiebert that's given up on Russell Tiebert.

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

And this was the day I officially gave up on Russel Tiebert...

I suspect he won't be losing any sleep over that. If the Whitecaps still want him on contract heading into the prime years of his career rather than replacing him with somebody younger and less expensive, it's because they see a significant role for him moving forward. Nothing wrong with fighting for your place in the starting selection under those circumstances.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Did you watch the sappy video the whitecaps put out?  It doesnt mention how he has rotted on the bench while they trot him out for photo ops and puff video stories.  And all this the day before they dump damn near all the whitecaps 2 kids.  Sad....

• 1 month later...

Retired.

Just Kidding... Good article below stating the obvious about Teibert returning to a wide position. Would be less opportunity for Levis but certainly were Rusty was best - an attacking offensive player. I still think he would work fine in the centre of the park but as a deep lying playmaker with some attacking responsibilities too. He showed initially that he could pick out a pass, cross and dribble just depends if he is too far gone from the Defensive Midfield brainwashing. 

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2018/1/26/16937838/vancouver-whitecaps-russell-teibert-a-perfect-left-wingback

37 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Retired.

Just Kidding... Good article below stating the obvious about Teibert returning to a wide position. Would be less opportunity for Levis but certainly were Rusty was best - an attacking offensive player. I still think he would work fine in the centre of the park but as a deep lying playmaker with some attacking responsibilities too. He showed initially that he could pick out a pass, cross and dribble just depends if he is too far gone from the Defensive Midfield brainwashing. 

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2018/1/26/16937838/vancouver-whitecaps-russell-teibert-a-perfect-left-wingback

Teibert's problem is that he's just not as good as the Caps players that have defined roles. Is Teibert going to challenge Davies/Ibini/Techera on the wings? No. Is he going to take minutes away from Yordy underneath the strikers? No. Can he defend on the level of any of the defensive starters? No. Is he as good a utility player as Brek Shea? Only as a central midfielder. 

There just isn't room in the squad for him to get ten games somewhere to see if it works, and he seems perfectly content in his current depth role.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, saladroit said:

With Ghazal injured and Tchani traded, it's a borderline certainty that Teibert will start in the season opener on Sunday for the Caps.

And he should. I have watched nearly all of VWC’s preseason games, and Teibert has been much better than both Tchani and Ghazal in preseason. I liked Ghazal last year, but he was brutal in preseason...There was deffinately times in preseason that Teibert reminded me of Bradley. I know that is a huge stretch, but he seems to be really improving his distribution. Now, lets see if he can do that in games that mean something... i certainly hope he can, but I’m not entirely optimistic.

Glad to see Rusty have a strong preseason but doesn't anyone else here think that Robbo will be bringing in another experienced d-mid in the coming weeks?  If he loses either him or the Mexican guy, he'll be playing a rookie (Dave Norman, Jr) as the back up while Ghazal mends.  Does Robbo really want to do that (though, obviously, it's great for Cancon)?