Ranking Our Top 5 Prospects/Young Players

Bully

There are probably various iterations of this thread, but I thought I would necro one rather that start anew.  Going back through the thread...  

2014 - Aird, Boakai, Hamilton, Petrasso and Roberts were some of the hot takes.

2015 - Larin, Henry, Piette and Oso seemed to lead the new additions, with some love for Aleman.  Our predictive powers were fairly sharp that year.  

2016 - Davies, Tabla and some guy named Tomori the clear consensus top 3.  

2017 to 2019 - we added a couple of Liams (Millar and Fraser - with the former generating the most excitement), with a few noting Okello.

Lots of of other mentions throughout the thread, but I noted the ones that grabbed the most attention.  

Aside from a little walk down memory lane, it is interesting to see who made it to bigger clubs and impacted the Nats.  Going forward, I am curious about people’s top 5-10 prospects.  And for me these are young players (20 and under, so no Cornelius or Millar) who haven’t “made it” yet (so no David or Davies).  I am including undecided duals but haven’t included any keepers because I have no real baseline for comparison. 
—————————

Some of the guys with some serious buzz (not in ranked order):

- Corbeanu (19)

- Dias (18) 

- Flores (17)

- Marshall-Rutty (16)

- Nelson (18)

- Priso (18)

- Okello (20 - I still have faith in him)

It is interesting to note that the 2 seemingly conflicted duals play abroad, whereas the ones playing domestically seem to be more locked into the Canadian stream (though many may not be dual-eligible). 

I know I am omitting some, but these are the guys I will be paying the most attention to based (some) on what I have seen and (more) the hype that I have read.

So what is your top 5-7? 

My opinion:

1:Dias

2:Corbeanu 

3:Priso

4:Nelsen

5: Assi

based on who I saw

the actually is probably 

1: Flores

2: Rutty

3: Dias

4: Corbeanu 

5: Pellogrino 

6: Nelsen

7: Habibullah  

8: Priso

9: Pepple

10: Assi 

HM’s Gazdov, Abaneth, Passaquale, Mbongue, Saliba, Rea, Pecile, Coupland, Colyn, Russell-Rowe, Ferdinand, Kooner. 

was really hard to make a top 10,I tried to stay under 20, I think I’m u19 with this ?  you can easily argue some guys belong here that I haven’t listed. I don’t think we’ve ever been this deep high end prospect wise, it’s conceivable that every player on this list in the 10 plays not only for CanMNT but becomes regular in the top flight in a Euro league, we may end up with multiple low end top flight guys from here as the low low ceiling. Let me be clear, they won’t all be 80+ rated in FIFA, I think a few 70-76’s or even 80’s is possible. The hype and talent is considerable and each could have gone to Europe now or is there and we’d have seen some big academies involved. Flores, Dias and Rutty could be stars, Corbeanu looks to be in that tier same with Habibullah.

a few years back a poster claimed that a kid from Ottawa by the name of Jonathan David would give Alphonso Davies a run for his money... no one has claimed that Pellogrino will give Rutty a run but apparently he’s most likely to.

Nelsen hasn’t played much but I do know he’s rated, heck Simon Colyn could be in there. I have to be real with 1-4, they’re all so exciting and could be something else, I’m not sure if Theo is a wonder kid but he really has impressed at Wolves this past year and the trajectory he’s on is someting to watch. I think there’s a chance that top 4 takes us somewhere else entirely. I’m also probably doing Habibullah a big disservice here and the Whitecaps apparently have him in the Rutty tier hes just been developing physically at a slower pace.

I’m missing guys that’s obvious but shit there was a time where anyone on this list would have been clear cut 1 and tbh I think 1-5 is interchangeable, heck Habbibullah could be ahead of everyone on this list in a few months, Nelsen isn’t a slouch, this was really really hard.

You can easily argue Rusell-Rowe is being hard done by me, it’s tough but I’m pumped when writing, this is our best ever prospect group 1-0 hands done in terms of hype and current talent, the potential for multiple world class players exists in this crop.

Edited by Dominic94

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Also everyone is forgetting the Paton brothers . Harry 23- 32 games , 1 G - 4 A - 76% starting in the starting XI 

Ben 20 years old - Blackburn U23 - has played 26 games in Premier League 2 ( I don’t know why both weren’t called up for the U23 ) 

Uh. For someone who frequents this board a lot and likes to post strong opinions, you might want to do a little fact checking. Harry was unavailable as his club wouldn’t release him which has been reported here and discussed

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

Uh. For someone who frequents this board a lot and likes to post strong opinions, you might want to do a little fact checking. Harry was unavailable as his club wouldn’t release him which has been reported here and discussed

Uh, oh I’m sorry I missed that, 🙄 you sound like your having a wonderful day .

We were pretty fortunate to have Corbeanu choose us at such a young age. This last window he could have have been playing Euro U21 with Romania. They also performed exceptionally well tieing both Germany and the Netherlands. They finished tied for 1st in their group with both teams, but didn't move on due to goal differential. A good showing against those teams goes alot further in someone's career than destroying the like of Cayman Islands.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

1. Corbeanu

2. Perruzza

3. Okello

4. Marshall-Rutty

5. Colyn

6. Habibullah

7. Dias

8. Amanda

9. Assi

10. Flores

(ranked in order of "closest to making an impact")

Amanda sticks out as being a '98 among all those under 20s.

Quick question are you ranking Flores last because it's unlikely he plays for us or do you see the other 9 as better prospects?

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

We were pretty fortunate to have Corbeanu choose us at such a young age. This last window he could have have been playing Euro U21 with Romania. They also performed exceptionally well tieing both Germany and the Netherlands. They finished tied for 1st in their group with both teams, but didn't move on due to goal differential. A good showing against those teams goes alot further in someone's career than destroying the like of Cayman Islands.

They’re also in the Olympics.

5 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Amanda sticks out as being a '98 among all those under 20s.

Quick question are you ranking Flores last because it's unlikely he plays for us or do you see the other 9 as better prospects?

I included Amanda because he's still playing NCAA.

I see the other 9 as better prospects than Flores.  He's got a lot of hype but not sure it'll translate.

(cut to him winning a starting role with Arsenal before he's 20)

Edit: if I'm being honest, I probably have him rated so low as a way to insulate myself when he suits up for Mexico.  Less heartbreak.

Edited by El Hombre

My Top 5 list (ranked on potential as they are prospects after all):

1. Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty (2004) - If the rumoured likes of Man United, Juventus and Bayern are circling, that's good enough for me to rank him #1.

2. Theo Corbeanu (2002) - On the verge of making a Premier League squad and didn't look out of place in WC qualifiers. In fact, I thought he looked better than Hoillet against the same competition.

3. Marcelo Flores (2003) - Never seen him play, other than highlights. Highly regarded in Arsenal's U23s means the potential is there.

4. Lucas Dias (2003) - Plays for Sporting Lisbon's U23s.  Looked okay in OQs against players up to 6 years older. Again, lots of potential.

5. Daniel Jebbison (2003) - Haven't seen him play either, but called to England's U18s.  Good enough for me.

H/M - Jayden Nelson (2002) and Ralph Priso (2002) - Got some minutes as 17/18 year olds for TFC by a coach who shies away from playing young players.  I think both showed they can play at this level, particularly Priso.  Nelson definitely has the skill but needs to show he can use his teammates on the field rather than trying to do it all alone. Both already seemed to have surpassed other young Canadians (Fraser, Shaffelburg) for now, but hopefully they can play more regularly this year. 

Edited by Ivan
spelling

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

I included Amanda because he's still playing NCAA.

Amanda is 22 playing against kids that are on average 2 years younger. He's already missed out on training in a professional environment during a critical period in his development. If he goes back to school in the fall and turns pro next year he'll be starting his career 6 months short of his 24th birthday. Most players coming out of college at that age will never cut it at the MLS level which is why they usually get drafted in the lower rounds, no matter how impressive they were in their senior year. I really hope Amanda will be an exception (it sure would be amazing having two players born in refugee camps playing together on the CMNT) but they odds are stacked against him having a pro career at a decent level.

4 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Amanda is 22 playing against kids that are on average 2 years younger. He's already missed out on training in a professional environment during a critical period in his development. If he goes back to school in the fall and turns pro next year he'll be starting his career 6 months short of his 24th birthday. Most players coming out of college at that age will never cut it at the MLS level which is why they usually get drafted in the lower rounds, no matter how impressive they were in their senior year. I really hope Amanda will be an exception (it sure would be amazing having two players born in refugee camps playing together on the CMNT) but they odds are stacked against him having a pro career at a decent level.

Richie Lareya.   

26 minutes ago, Ivan said:

My Top 5 list (ranked on potential as they are prospects after all):

1. Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty (2004) - If the rumoured likes of Man United, Juventus and Bayern are circling, that's good enough for me to rank him #1.

2. Theo Corbeanu (2002) - On the verge of making a Premier League squad and didn't look out of place in WC qualifiers. In fact, I thought he looked better than Hoillet against the same competition.

3. Marcelo Flores (2003) - Never seen him play, other than highlights. Highly regarded in Arsenal's U23s means the potential is there.

4. Lucas Dias (2003) - Plays for Sporting Lisbon's U23s.  Looked okay in OQs against players up to 6 years older. Again, lots of potential.

5. Daniel Jebbison (2003) - Haven't seen him play either, but called to England's U18s.  Good enough for me.

H/M - Jayden Nelson (2002) and Ralph Priso (2002) - Got some minutes as 17/18 year olds for TFC by a coach who shies away from playing young players.  I think both showed they can play at this level, particularly Priso.  Nelson definitely has the skill but needs to show he can use his teammates on the field rather than trying to do it all alone. Both already seemed to have surpassed other young Canadians (Fraser, Shaffelburg) for now, but hopefully they can play more regularly this year. 

I forgot Jebbison in my whole post dam, this is a whole new era.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I honestly don’t think that he was a kid that needed a lot of convincing. Unlike some of the other dual nats we are chasing he seemed to want to play for us as first choice. Regardless of team quality. Which is very nice to see. 

12 minutes ago, Reign said:

I honestly don’t think that he was a kid that needed a lot of convincing. Unlike some of the other dual nats we are chasing he seemed to want to play for us as first choice. Regardless of team quality. Which is very nice to see. 

Doesn't seem to have so much of a split identity the way other dual nationals do. Thanks Cuecescu?!

16 minutes ago, Reign said:

One of the reasons I really like him (already).  I am pragmatic about who we recruit and why, but is great to see a kid with options that really wants to play for Canada.  

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

Gloire Amanda ?! Wouldnt his younger brother Prince Amanda  be ranked higher. Playing in an pro environment since 16/17/18. 

Its late start to his pro career - gloire

Edited by yothat2