Ranking Our Top 5 Prospects/Young Players

Bully

He's currently a 20 year old who can't get a game with a team in the 2nd division of Scotland.

Fair point. Though how much are Froese or Bustos playing? Boakai is on a D2 in North America and can't get minutes but he's still well represented.

Just thought it was surprising how little he's on these lists.

Edited by lazlo_80

Fair point. Though how much are Froese or Bustos playing? Boakai is on a D2 in North America and can't get minutes but he's still well represented.

Just thought it was surprising how little he's on these lists.

Froese and Bustos are both a year younger and seem to figure heavily in Vancouver's future plans, I'd expect to see a lot of them next season

Froese and Bustos are both a year younger and seem to figure heavily in Vancouver's future plans, I'd expect to see a lot of them next season

A year younger and have never played much with the first team. Aird was basically a starter in previous seasons. I think sometimes we have a tendency to get more excited about the prospect who has yet to play and their "big potential" then the kids who are actually playing.

A year younger and have never played much with the first team. Aird was basically a starter in previous seasons. I think sometimes we have a tendency to get more excited about the prospect who has yet to play and their "big potential" then the kids who are actually playing.

Aird was a starter 2 years ago when they were in the Scottish League One. He played 22 total games last year in all competitions, no idea how many were starts. If Aird's primary role is going to be RB, he has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the ball. I've always thought the hype for Aird was a bit crazy, on this board and elsewhere, he's a promising player but I'd rate guys like Bustos, Froese and Boakai above him in terms of potential.

Realistically, Bustos tore up USL pretty well considered he was coming off a major injury. 17 appearances, 7 goals, 2 assists, 1360 minutes. Froese spent much of the season with the Whitecaps so there isn't useful stats for comparison but he didn't look too out of place coming off the bench when he did play. I have no point of comparison but I'd guess USL to Scottish League One is similar.

1. Larin - 17 goals... nuff said

2. Henry - He's a proven MLS level starter, that someone named Big Sam decided to spend 2Mil EUR on. Even if he's near his ceiling, that still puts him at a higher level than most of our prospects. Hopefully another loan to the championship sees him back in the 1st team mix. Otherwise could be bought by a larger championship club or loaned back to MLS.

3. Adekugbe - I see him winning the starting LB job from Harvey next season, and then sky's the limit for him.

4.  Petrasso - finally seems to be breaking into the 1st team at QPR.

5. Piette - despite having 21 caps by his 21st birthday, I feel like Piette doesn't have the natural athleticism to be higher on this list. That beings said, he's got a favorable club situation with Racing Ferrol right now, he's got proven quality, and I don't think he's far off being a regular starter at a major European D2 league level.

Notes:

I didn't include Osario, James or Teibert on this list because they're no-longer U23 eligible. I'm using this as my "prospect" age cut off (completely arbitrary). I've heard too many murmurings about Boakai's attitude - and my gut, as well as the apparent stall in his development, tells me they're true - so he's not on my list. 

There are many other with players in our pool with equal or greater talent to those I've listed here (e.g. Doughty, Tomori, Froese, Bostos, Gassparotto, Aird, Hamilton, Crépeau, etc, etc, etc), but these are the 5 I think likely to have the most career success IMO. This is based on their talent/ceiling, attitude, past performance, and current club situation. I think when assessing who's going to be most successful, it's important to not just look purely at talent, but also these other factors.

Edited by A_Gagne

It's hard to say at a young age unless they are so ridiculously standout they have been thrust in the public eye. Tomori and Doughty have great opportunities given the systems and clubs they are at. Doesn't mean it's a given they will do any better than someone from impacts academy that sees more playing time in the mls though.

I haven't seen enough of everyone to rank really but there seem to be a lot of potential prospects which is exciting and a list that will hopefully grow and grow. 

Larin obviously is the leading hope but Cavallini is also all guns blazing and I hope we keep him in the fold.

I have big hopes for Henry. If he can stay fit he looked great at Blackburn and got rave reviews. 

I think Petrasso looks great and he can get games.

Lastly lots of hype about Elva. Hopefully he continues to get minutes and experience in Germany. Also hopefully they can sort out his eligibility and we get him to commit.

1. Larin

2. Henry

3. Aird

4. Petrasso

5. James (based on limited viewing - could be totally wrong on this one)

HM - Piette (question his upside), Adekugbe (hoping he pans out) and those that need more seasoning - Elva, Froese, Bustos, Boakai, etc.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Bully said:

April 2016 edition anyone? (1993 or later)

1) Larin
2) Petrasso
3) Piette
4) Henry (as a CB)
5) Aird

My top 5 would be:

1) Larin
2) Henry
3) Aird
4) Petrasso
5) Froese

I think even with his injury troubles, Henry still has more pro-games, and at a higher level, than anyone this list, and is signed to a premiership team. Perhaps he will never pan out at the premiership level, but I still think his upside is better than anyone in this age group other than Larin.

Edited by A_Gagne

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

From a different angle:

1. Davies

2. Tabla

3. Tomori

4. Chung

5. Reid

I tend to agree with this but I will still put Larin and Henry on the list but from what I have seen of Davies and Tabla, they probably both need to be there as well...and possibly Chung.

So I would have it as:

1. Larin

2. Tabla

3. Davies

4. Henry

5. Chung

5 hours ago, Bully said:

April 2016 edition anyone? (1993 or later)

1) Larin
2) Petrasso
3) Piette
4) Henry (as a CB)
5) Aird

This but for me 2-4 are interchangeable.