Ranking Our Top 5 Prospects/Young Players

Bully

In our collective post-WC glow/hangover, it seems like there are lots of people thinking ahead to 2026 and gauging our prospects and player pool.  So once again I am pulling this thread from the ashes (this time 20 months later than the last one I did it) to highlight the uncertainty of the crystal ball a with no offence to @MtlMario

Stating the obvious, no one had Kone on their radar when this thread was bumped in 2021.  It seems like there will always be some gems that we stumble upon.  Having said that, it seems like some of the predictions may be less like wild swings as our scouting networks and development pathways get better established.  Back in 2014, Boakai, Petrasso and Aird featured on many lists as future stars.  Of those mentioned, Larin was definitely a “hit” and with 66 senior caps it is safe to say that Piette definitely “made it”.  

The other thing this thread highlights is how much of a crap shoot the young dual national situation really is.  Of young guys mentioned in recent pages of this thread we got Corbeanu and Akinola (after we thought he was gone) and lost Flores and and Tomori (sigh).  Some are still on the list and undecided - Dias and Jebbison notably.   

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

In our collective post-WC glow/hangover, it seems like there are lots of people thinking ahead to 2026 and gauging our prospects and player pool.  So once again I am pulling this thread from the ashes (this time 20 months later than the last one I did it) to highlight the uncertainty of the crystal ball a with no offence to @MtlMario

Stating the obvious, no one had Kone on their radar when this thread was bumped in 2021.  It seems like there will always be some gems that we stumble upon.  Having said that, it seems like some of the predictions may be less like wild swings as our scouting networks and development pathways get better established.  Back in 2014, Boakai, Petrasso and Aird featured on many lists as future stars.  Of those mentioned, Larin was definitely a “hit” and with 66 senior caps it is safe to say that Piette definitely “made it”.  

The other thing this thread highlights is how much of a crap shoot the young dual national situation really is.  Of young guys mentioned in recent pages of this thread we got Corbeanu and Akinola (after we thought he was gone) and lost Flores and and Tomori (sigh).  Some are still on the list and undecided - Dias and Jebbison notably.   

To underscore your point about unpredictability, Kone could just as easily become another Tabla.

7 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

To underscore your point about unpredictability, Kone could just as easily become another Tabla.

I suppose it's possible. I'd argue Kone has already accomplished more, in terms of minutes, trust from managers, NT selections, etc. in a single year as a professional than Tabla did in his whole pre-CPL career.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I suppose it's possible. I'd argue Kone has already accomplished more, in terms of minutes, trust from managers, NT selections, etc. in a single year as a professional than Tabla did in his whole pre-CPL career.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am choosing to stay positive.  And FWIW, I would be happy to make a friendly wager that in 3 or 4 years Kone won’t be in a worse position that he is now.  

I'm not saying Kone will bomb. I'm just bringing up the fact that many soccer fans at one time thought Tabla would be better than Davies. A thousand and one things could happen to a player. I would feel a lot better if right now we had two or three other prospects competing with Kone and every other position on the NT. But that's not the case. Jeeze, we don't even have prospects that can adequately replace Vitoria.

Was out with some new Canada fans (non-Vs) and one of them asked me who the next big prospect was. What they actually asked me was "who is the next Alphonso Davies coming up", which kind of made me laugh and cry at the same time on the inside.

Truth is, there isn't one, at least that I am aware of.

We have some nice players coming up. Corbeanu will be a dependable player. I think Nelson will be too. Kone as well. I believe all 3 of these guys should be pushing to be regulars in top 5 leagues this time next cycle, if they aren't there already by then. We need more than that, however. I still don't see much coming up in the way of defenders. That's concerning. Johnston going to Celtic is positive, but we need more. If guys like Kamal Miller, Derek Cornelius, and Scott Kennedy can even take minor steps up the ladder it will go a long way, as each will be in their prime come next tournament. 

I still take comfort that so many guys at the WC, came out of NCAA, were ignored by MLS academies and never repped canada as youth players.  There are more guys like that in Qatar than followed actual MLS academy pathway.  So not hearing about some 15 year old phenom isnt the end of the world, cause we prob have a bunch of ignored 18year olds in school now, that will get to CMNT taking the long way round.  

54 minutes ago, phresh said:

What do Forge fans think about Kwasi Poku? I was impressed with his play at the U-20's in June.

I am looking forward to seeing if the CP can become a true developmental league for young Canadians. Ideally, the clubs will establish top rate scouting and recognize youngsters with both great skill and the ability to play the game tactically. If they can make $$ by getting these players promoted to a better level, so much the better. 

I wonder how ex-CPL loanee, Yao, will do in Vancouver. 

Do any of you see any potential in the upcoming CPL season for legitimate players to develop and move up?

On 12/2/2022 at 4:55 PM, phresh said:

What do Forge fans think about Kwasi Poku? I was impressed with his play at the U-20's in June.

Not a Forge fan but I liked his play with the U-20s as well. Shades of Davies, though not as good obviously. A lot of raw talent, but maybe too raw to be a regular for Forge yet, arguably the best CPL side. Curious as well to hear what Forge fans think of him.

While on the U-20 topic, I also liked the play of Catavolo. Another one who I thought would play more with his club than he did. Perhaps next year we see both players be regulars in their respective sides 

On 12/2/2022 at 4:54 PM, Stoppage Time said:

Do any of you see any potential in the upcoming CPL season for legitimate players to develop and move up?

I don’t really understand the question. Players are developing and moving up all the time 

Just now, Aird25 said:

I don’t really understand the question. Players are developing and moving up all the time 

I meant: Do any CPL Canadian players stand out above the rest as having great potential to have a breakout season and be rewarded with a move to a higher level? Does a player like, for example, Woobens Pacius seem like somebody who could have an exceptional year and be noticed by other higher level teams?

38 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

I meant: Do any CPL Canadian players stand out above the rest as having great potential to have a breakout season and be rewarded with a move to a higher level? Does a player like, for example, Woobens Pacius seem like somebody who could have an exceptional year and be noticed by other higher level teams?

Ahh gotcha. I’d guess we still haven’t even seen all the players moving up based off last season’s performances. Woobens is a candidate. I wouldn’t be shocked to see someone like Manny Aparicio join Diaz in Norway or get an opportunity elsewhere. He’s not exactly a prospect anymore though 

17 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I think that would be Sean Rea.

18 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Would love to see an MLS team take a flyer on Kunle Dada-Luke. I think purely because of his unique build and athleticism, he has another level in him. I could see him having Raheem Edwards-esque career arc.

On 12/2/2022 at 7:54 PM, Stoppage Time said:

I am looking forward to seeing if the CP can become a true developmental league for young Canadians. Ideally, the clubs will establish top rate scouting and recognize youngsters with both great skill and the ability to play the game tactically. If they can make $$ by getting these players promoted to a better level, so much the better. 

I wonder how ex-CPL loanee, Yao, will do in Vancouver. 

Didn't know where to put this but since you asked, Julian D G said on one of the shows after Canada was eliminated that other than MLS academies  (" and their hands are tied", do not know what that means) there is no pathway for young players in Canada to develop (I guess CPL is useless to him).  We now know where CPL stands for him.

2 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Didn't know where to put this but since you asked, Julian D G said on one of the shows after Canada was eliminated that other than MLS academies  (" and their hands are tied", do not know what that means) there is no pathway for young players in Canada to develop (I guess CPL is useless to him).  We now know where CPL stands for him.

I mean, he was pretty crystal clear on his feeling about CPL when he worked with the Fury.  Now that he is employed by TSN to provide commentary on MLS, it isn’t surprising that he hasn’t done a complete 180 on the issue.  

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I mean, he was pretty crystal clear on his feeling about CPL when he worked with the Fury.  Now that he is employed by TSN to provide commentary on MLS, it isn’t surprising that he hasn’t done a complete 180 on the issue.  

Then why does he want a team in the league? Just because you work for TSN it doesn't mean you can disrespect the CPL. Even Garber mentioned the CPL on his interview.

Just now, MtlMario said:

Then why does he want a team in the league? Just because you work for TSN it doesn't mean you can disrespect the CPL. Even Garber mentioned the CPL on his interview.

Does he?  That is cool if he has changed his tune.   But his past comments about it, and apparently his current comments about it not being a pathway for young Canadians (despite it being a path for some young Canadians…) make it seem like he isn’t hugely supportive of the league.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Does he?  That is cool if he has changed his tune.   But his past comments about it, and apparently his current comments about it not being a pathway for young Canadians (despite it being a path for some young Canadians…) make it seem like he isn’t hugely supportive of the league.  

Check Nov.21 on "CPL new team speculation". This guy is confusing.

20 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Its called plausible deniability....how could we be hostile to CPL, we just had a 10min interview buried in 500hrs over 3 weeks of coverage.  I make a big show of greeting my mother in law, so that later when I kick her out of the house x-mas eve I can say, "listen I was nothing but nice to her..you all saw it" 

I also didnt understand how the MLS academies hands are tied...tied by who???