Ranking Our Top 5 Prospects/Young Players

Bully

Toronto fans took a lot of stick - and Vancouverites certainly piled on - for a lot of years after TFC came on board. And they sought out the same post hoc ergo prompter hoc arguments, took refuge in youth  & B squad caps as evidence of contribution, bigged up MLS with ridiculous and fallaciously based 'economic arguments, spoke of the "beasts" on their team keeping Canadians off the roster, that the 'few' Canadians who were good enough were prohibitive in cost, that contact was made and they were rebuffed and earnestly promised future benefits that would be realized. Their equivalent of the "cap's hate canada' rallying call was 'everyone hates Toronto. But as 2010 turned into it was always about 2014 and especially 2018' which has turned into 'it is about 2018 and especially 2022' and I've even seen a wag or two suggesting 2026 at least some of those fans have realized they sold themselves a bill of goods.

Could it be that Osorio is a one off, a diamond in the rough, a needle in the haystack, rather than the conspiracy against Canadians?

Clearly, it's psychologically more comfortable for some people to believe in a conspiracy rather than accept the disappointing reality of the paucity of Canada's player development relative to the United States over the last two decades.

To be fair, those aren't the only Canadians who were given a chance. They (and Osorio) were just the ones that took full advantage of the opportunity.

Tyler Rosenlund

Tyler Hemming

Miguel Canizalez

Nana Attakora*

Nicholas Lindsay

Gabe Gala

Joey Melo

Andrea Lombardo

Keith Makubuya

Matt Stinson

Emery Welshman

Gianluca Zavarise

And that's just the young guys!  TFC wanted all of those guys to succeed and would have trumpeted their success if they'd made it.  They'd still be playing in MLS if they could have reached the standard of the "American journeymen" so derided here.

But clearly, what's stopping Canada from going to the World Cup is that Aron Winter isn't trotting out Ashtone Morgan and Oscar Cordon anymore.

The problems with player development in Canada start well below the three MLS clubs.  Lack of professional opportunities contributes, but only insofar as the lack of a robust ecology of clubs at different levels diminishes the odds of "happy accidents" like Osorio.

*Still hanging in there, but not actually playing in MLS currently.

Toronto fans took a lot of stick - and Vancouverites certainly piled on - for a lot of years after TFC came on board. And they sought out the same post hoc ergo prompter hoc arguments, took refuge in youth  & B squad caps as evidence of contribution, bigged up MLS with ridiculous and fallaciously based 'economic arguments, spoke of the "beasts" on their team keeping Canadians off the roster, that the 'few' Canadians who were good enough were prohibitive in cost, that contact was made and they were rebuffed and earnestly promised future benefits that would be realized. Their equivalent of the "cap's hate canada' rallying call was 'everyone hates Toronto. But as 2010 turned into it was always about 2014 and especially 2018' which has turned into 'it is about 2018 and especially 2022' and I've even seen a wag or two suggesting 2026 at least some of those fans have realized they sold themselves a bill of goods.

Thanks for posting this. That was a really bad era on this forum. The Whitecaps fans today are being treated with kids gloves in comparison.

It was pretty instrumental in a lot of long time Toronto-based Voyageur posters simply giving up on this place. And it still hasn't recovered. There is way less discussion on this forum than there used to be (sure the state of the national team is partly to blame as well).

Its a real shame.

Edited by narduch

Edit: Forgot about Clarke! He is my number 5. Actually i'd put him at number 4 and slot Boakai down. I really liked him at the youth level games I watched (U-20?) and you can't ignore his strike rate with Augsburg reserves (1 per 3 games or something?).

I agree that Clarke is definitely as solid a prospect as we have, and proven his ability to score against men. The only problem is his injury record. I don't knew too much about it, but have heard he's had a number of injuries. Tough to say if or how much that will limit his potential. If someone knows more about what injuries he's had, and if that's been an issue for him in Germany, please post and fill us in.

Just look how fast those names fell off the radar....wow.

Agreed! Remember a lot of those names, but Ouimette, Teibert, and now apparently Akindele are the only ones on that list with Sr. pro-contracts in legitimate leagues. 

... IMO Impact should sign Piette as eventual PB replacement. 

Edited by A_Gagne

Tyler Rosenlund

Tyler Hemming

Miguel Canizalez

Nana Attakora*

Nicholas Lindsay

Gabe Gala

Joey Melo

Andrea Lombardo

Keith Makubuya

Matt Stinson

Emery Welshman

Gianluca Zavarise

And that's just the young guys!  TFC wanted all of those guys to succeed and would have trumpeted their success if they'd made it.  They'd still be playing in MLS if they could have reached the standard of the "American journeymen" so derided here.

But clearly, what's stopping Canada from going to the World Cup is that Aron Winter isn't trotting out Ashtone Morgan and Oscar Cordon anymore.

The problems with player development in Canada start well below the three MLS clubs.  Lack of professional opportunities contributes, but only insofar as the lack of a robust ecology of clubs at different levels diminishes the odds of "happy accidents" like Osorio.

*Still hanging in there, but not actually playing in MLS currently.

I'm confused as to what you are trying to say here.  Are you trying to tell me that a 19 year-old Keith Makubuya and his grand total of 55 minutes on the pitch was given a chance by TFC and he blew it?  I'm genuinely confused as to what this list is supposed to tell me.

I could also rattle off scores more of non-Canadians who played significant minutes for TFC who also similarly failed.

• 1 year later...

Well I asked this about a year ago. What say you now?

Let's keep it u23

1) Larin
2) Boakai
3) Henry
4) Petrasso
5) Piette

Aleman, Carreiro, Froese all getting some first team minutes. James as well. 

I know.. Piette has played lots of national team games, but I'd rank this on potential, or greatest upside. 

1. Larin

2. Henry

3. Petrasso

4. Teibert

5. Osorio

Honourable mention: Bustos, Gasparotto

Boakai should be on this list but he needs to start showing more. Great talent though

i don't really get the Piette hype. I don't rate him that much at all. I think he could be "ok" but I don't see a high end talent

Edited by Floortom

• 2 months later...

I think Larin is a can't miss solid pro.

Petrasso and Boakai should get there if they work hard and have good attitudes.

Wow, 3 attacking players, is this Canada?

A year and a half later and I just need Boakai to have a breakout year when he transfers to TFC this summer for the triple play! He's only 19 and did great at Pan Ams this summer. I have lots of faith.

I think Marco Bustos is a can't miss solid pro now too.

Edited by Soccerpro

Suppose I'll give this a go. Considering where they are playing and my perceived trajectory of their potential growth as players, this is how I see our top 5 senior Nats prospects"

1. Henry - hopefully getting consistent minutes in jolly ol' England now

2. Petrasso - same thing as Henry

3. Larin - hopefully maintains his spot in Orlando's starting XI, but I am skeptical of this

4. Teibert - would be great if he could maintain his spot in the Whitecaps' starting XI next season

5. Piette - I believe he's getting consistent minutes with a club in Spain, can't keep track of all this stuff

I would have a similar list to Tuscan but I would probably put Osorio as my #4

1. Henry - IMO has the highest celing of any player currently in our pool

2. Petresso - getting min in the championship and looks like the most dangerous guy on the pitch on every youth national team

3. Larin - Rookie goal scoring record and physically can be dominant

4. Osorio - number are not where they need to be but the growth in his game this past year was tremendous. Consistent starter and a core piece moving forward at club level. Will be back with the nats at some point, just turned 23 this year.

5. Piette/Tiebert - Piette is better now but i see a higher celing for Tiebert.