Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

20 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

To literally add insult to injury the back up goalie was named the MVP.

Actually so stupid, he was awful in regular play and looked like a mess, made a few saves on pens but they were both if you guess right you’ll stop them it wasn’t like they were amazing pens.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Jesus fucking Christ - I just check into my hotel, get on wifi, and see all this.  Fucking hell.  After Davies.  Wtf!?! 

I stop posting for a few hours and it all goes to hell. 

ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

Better head back home

St Clair may be a very able backup but Crepeau has slotted in seamlessly for Borjan in the past.   I had no concerns whatsoever with the idea that Max could get called into action as our 2nd keeper. It may be an opportunity for Dayne but this is still a big loss.  

And aside from all that is absolutely blows for Max himself.  

He probably does have a higher ceiling and I am a big StClair fan, but that has nothing to do with who is more ready to do the job in 2 weeks.  Crepeau has been in the high pressure games against Mexico, took over for Borjan in the gold cup.  Putting St Clair out in the biggest game we have played since 86 and he hasnt been in a fraction of the high stakes games Crepeau has.....its a drop off.  

Yeah talk about a bitter sweet day. Wim MLS Cup but get injured, go to the hospital, and miss World Cup.

More bitter than sweet, though. Get better Max.

In the meantime, St Clair can absolutely cement himself as the no. 2 here. He's an MLS Allstar and has massive upside. Imagine if Borjan goes down and Dayne steps in and has himself a game or two in Qatar?

The other interesting thing is the chain reaction this will have. Hasal and Breza move closer to the pool. Pantemis is now the de facto 3rd option, but his spot us hardly rock solid. Could make things interesting in the new year. Max could be gone a while.

Waking up this morning, I can't help but think this is just devestating for now and the future of this national team. Honestly, this is awful news. It gives other keepers a chance, but Crepeau truly was our backup and future starter. Leg breaks can really change a player's career trajectory. Some are never the same.

I wish Max well. He is such a good sport - still smiling after the win. You can see how much he loves the game. But Herdman has his work cut out now. Very tough. 

"Crepeau's leg was broken — the club has not explicitly said so, but an assistant coach confirmed the diagnosis and said he'd undergo surgery Sunday — and badly. His World Cup, as Canada's No. 2, was over, with no certainty he'd be back in time for next year's Rose Bowl opener against El Trafico archrival LA Galaxy."

https://www.socceramerica.com/publications/article/94184/mls-cups-unexpected-hero-john-mccarthy-stifles-h.html

- Out for the World Cup.

- Out for any theoretical Camp Poutine in January 2023.

- Very likely out for CONCACAF Nations League in March 2023

If you've ever broken a bone, a leg, as I have, there is an odd cirumstance where you don't necessarily feel pain at first. I realise this is not the usual case, most sharp breaks do cause pain. In any case, Crepeau seemed to see his leg was broken, registered it mentally, then was extremely aware of what was going on. He had this overcompensating effect of waving to the crowd, thumbs up, as if he had to comfort them being concerned about him. That sort of clarity without acute pain happened to me when I broke a leg skiiing when young.

It is not like a sprain, or tendon tear, which will always hurt badly, like a torn Achilles , which I have also done. A sprain or tear hurts and you are not in the mood to calm others around you.

I'm no doctor, just a typical Canuck who's broken things over the years (nose, teeth, then only on my left side fingers, collar bone, lower leg, that's about it). I was just trying to get around his demeanour, which may seem odd if you've never had certain injuries. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you've ever broken a bone, a leg, as I have, there is an odd cirumstance where you don't necessarily feel pain at first. I realise this is not the usual case, most sharp breaks do cause pain. In any case, Crepeau seemed to see his leg was broken, registered it mentally, then was extremely aware of what was going on. He had this overcompensating effect of waving to the crowd, thumbs up, as if he had to comfort them being concerned about him. That sort of clarity without acute pain happened to me when I broke a leg skiiing when young.

It is not like a sprain, or tendon tear, which will always hurt badly, like a torn Achilles , which I have also done. A sprain or tear hurts and you are not in the mood to calm others around you.

I'm no doctor, just a typical Canuck who's broken things over the years (nose, teeth, then only on my left side fingers, collar bone, lower leg, that's about it). I was just trying to get around his demeanour, which may seem odd if you've never had certain injuries. 

yeah, i noticed he seemed really calm and collected after the injury... i was thinking his pain threshold must be insanely high??  but what you said would also make sense then, if in fact broken bones don't necessarily lead to the sensation of pain at first...

I would actually like to see close-up shots of that play, because I am not convinced it was just fortuitous. He came in late, apparently did not get the ball, which went off towards goal iirc.

But I'd like to see it to feel sure he was not subject to excessive aggressive play on the part of the attacker. Sorry, just that because it was a clear red everyone assumes he was the aggressor; the foul was his, apparently, but could his injury have been avoided by the attacker?

Maybe this is all moot.

1 minute ago, cornerkick said:

yeah, i noticed he seemed really calm and collected after the injury... i was thinking his pain threshold must be insanely high??  but what you said would also make sense then, if in fact broken bones don't necessarily lead to the sensation of pain at first...

Hard to know.  But in the first moments immediately after, it does look like he's in a great amount of pain.  Trainers come out, you can see he's clutching the trainer's arm.  But then maybe the endorphins and adrenaline and other things kicked in?  At any rate, was very heartening (and inspiring) to see him give the thumbs up.  Literally sacrificed his body on that play for that championship.  🙏☹️

Very, very sad for Maxime. I always had a soft spot for him when he was playing for Ottawa Fury. In addition to usually being the best player on the pitch, at the end of most matches he would give away his gloves and captain’s armband to kids behind his net. He’s a first-rate guy, and the only Ottawa Fury player who will ever have a chance to play at the World Cup. Wishing him a full recovery.

27 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wish there was a way to bring him to Qatar even as a coach, but even if that were allowed, I don’t even know if he’d be really to get on a plane by then.

The CSA doesn't have the money to do that I'm afraid. 

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

St Clair may be a very able backup but Crepeau has slotted in seamlessly for Borjan in the past.   I had no concerns whatsoever with the idea that Max could get called into action as our 2nd keeper. It may be an opportunity for Dayne but this is still a big loss.  

And aside from all that is absolutely blows for Max himself.  

Honestly, the only difference is that Crepeau got the opportunity, and not St Clair. There is nothing to suggest that St. Clair would not have been capable as well.

Edited by LeoH037

7 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Waking up this morning, I can't help but think this is just devestating for now and the future of this national team. Honestly, this is awful news. It gives other keepers a chance, but Crepeau truly was our backup and future starter. Leg breaks can really change a player's career trajectory. Some are never the same.

I wish Max well. He is such a good sport - still smiling after the win. You can see how much he loves the game. But Herdman has his work cut out now. Very tough. 

meh, IMO I never saw Crepeau as the undisputed #1, specially with Dayne so close on his heels. That is even at more risk now, because the fact is St. Clair is the #2 for the World Cup now, and should anything happen to Borjan between now and in tournament, its St. Clair who will get the chance to showcase himself, and that would be huge for him going into 2026. 

Also... Crepeau will be out of action for a bit, that injury looked nasty, so who knows how long the recovery will take, and if he will even be the same afterward. Crepeau isn't exactly the biggest of goal keepers, so part of his game depended on quickly shifting positioning and having to make an acrobatic save here and there.

Edited by LeoH037

47 minutes ago, RJB said:

The CSA doesn't have the money to do that I'm afraid. 

Jeez, I was kinda hoping Bontis would do something Elon Musk- style by having their bureaucrats heading to Qatar stay out of the office for a day and then one of them would receive an email saying they wouldn't be going, with Crepeau getting the ticket and accommodation 😉

"Dear Earl,...."