Simeon Jackson

Wingback6

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

A really poor penalty kick by Jackson

https://streamable.com/xhn5l

Looks like he saw the keeper commit to the side and tried to then put a soft one down the middle but did not aim it very well. In those situations you are usually better to at least hit the ball hard because there is more chance it will still go in even if you muff the shot like he did.

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hard to disagree with the criticism.

Most of it yes......the guy suggesting that the ball wasn't even struck hard enough to reach the net I think its going way OTT though - I don't know what play he was watching. The ball was definitely going to go in the net if the keeper didn't stick his leg out to block it

I for one disagree with the criticism. It is objectively far from the worst penalty ever taken. Every single penalty that misses the net is 100% worse. He was a couple inches away from scoring, he just dragged it a bit more to the left than he was able to get away with. As for it being a horrible decision, I think that's just because people are used to things being a certain way. An old school of thought where you pick a side and you put it there. If you don't strike it well and you miss the net, or it's at a perfect spot for a keeper to make a relatively comfortable save, then there is no shame in that. But somehow there is shame in trying this shot where your goal is for the keeper to jump out of the way and the ball rolls in the middle of the net? The keeper DID try to get out of the way, he just missed his shot a bit, but it still at least had a chance.

So yeah, obviously not a great penalty since it was saved, but the criticism is over the top I think, and it's born out of an idea that it's hot dogging to shoot down the middle, instead of a valid strategy. The way they are talking about it its as if the keeper dove the wrong way, had enough time to get back up and go back and save it. His trailing leg just barely saved it. Wasn't there a similar save in a shoot out in the World Cup last year? The only difference if I remember correctly is that in that instance it was hit harder.

Edited by Kent
great best made no sense

31 minutes ago, Kent said:

I for one disagree with the criticism. It is objectively far from the worst penalty ever taken. Every single penalty that misses the net is 100% worse. He was a couple inches away from scoring, he just dragged it a bit more to the left than he was able to get away with. As for it being a horrible decision, I think that's just because people are used to things being a certain way. An old school of thought where you pick a side and you put it there. If you don't strike it well and you miss the net, or it's at a perfect spot for a keeper to make a relatively comfortable save, then there is no shame in that. But somehow there is shame in trying this shot where your goal is for the keeper to jump out of the way and the ball rolls in the middle of the net? The keeper DID try to get out of the way, he just missed his shot a bit, but it still at least had a chance.

So yeah, obviously not a great best penalty since it was saved, but the criticism is over the top I think, and it's born out of an idea that it's hot dogging to shoot down the middle, instead of a valid strategy. The way they are talking about it its as if the keeper dove the wrong way, had enough time to get back up and go back and save it. His trailing leg just barely saved it. Wasn't there a similar save in a shoot out in the World Cup last year? The only difference if I remember correctly is that in that instance it was hit harder.

I think that's a fair argument. For me though, he should have struck it hard. At least then such people wouldn't have much to complain about.

35 minutes ago, Kent said:

So yeah, obviously not a great best penalty since it was saved, but the criticism is over the top I think, and it's born out of an idea that it's hot dogging to shoot down the middle, instead of a valid strategy. The way they are talking about it its as if the keeper dove the wrong way, had enough time to get back up and go back and save it. His trailing leg just barely saved it. Wasn't there a similar save in a shoot out in the World Cup last year? The only difference if I remember correctly is that in that instance it was hit harder.

It was a bad choice, poorly executed. I don't think it was a strategy though, and will give him the benefit of the doubt that he changed his mind in the walk-up (it was not a run) seeing the keeper committed. But even if that's the case, the ball shouldn't have been anywhere near the left side of the net.  If he knew the keeper was committed to going left, he's experienced enough to know to put the ball a bit to the right. If he aimed for the centre, it was just not that smart and really really poorly executed. And of course, if the strategy all along was to aim for the centre (and not a change of mind mid-walk up), then it was just poorly executed and the keeper was lucky he went the right way.

But yes, some of the criticism is over the top.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, sloth8 said:

Jackson was released by St. Mirren after his contract expired on May 31.

https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/2897-squad-update

In the end, he played 32 games for the club last season and scored 6 goals.

That's not a bad haul considering his recent struggles in the lower tiers of English football over the last several years.

At this stage, I would love him to come back and play in Canada, rather than dropping down to the Scottish Championship. If another SPL club gives him a shot, he should take it though.

37 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's not a bad haul considering his recent struggles in the lower tiers of English football over the last several years.

At this stage, I would love him to come back and play in Canada, rather than dropping down to the Scottish Championship. If another SPL club gives him a shot, he should take it though.

It is unlikely any Scottish Premier League Club would offer him a chance.  If he gets released by St Mirren, I fear he’s got little chance of sticking on at a better club.  His next move may be to come back to Canada or try an English League Two (or equivalent) club.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:17 PM, Obinna said:

Also not a bad haul considering his team sucked in general, which probably held down his total, and hey let's be honest, despite not having the best numbers, if they had a better option they wouldn't have played him 32 times. That being said I agree with JamboAl that it's unlikely he's get another SPL shot. I would love to see him come home to the CanPL.

• 2 months later...