Simeon Jackson

Wingback6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
4 minutes ago, Shway said:

This is equivalent to him playing Ontario soccer league right?

No way conference league is league 1 quality?

Believe this is even 1 level below Conference. 

Michael Petrasso played Conference I think a few years back with Barnet on loan from York and was a stand out.

Edited by narduch

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Michael Petrasso played Conference I think a few years back with Barnet on loan from York and was a stand out.

Reason why I was asking is because I play OSL, which is just below L1O except as we know there’s no pyramid but fees to be accepted.

9 hours ago, narduch said:

Essentially. The Conference League was renamed the National League last decade some time. 

That is the highest level of semi pro or "non-league" football in England. Though all but a handful of teams are usually fully professional.

So he - Jackson - was playing one level below, in the 6th tier (National League South) hoping to get promoted to the 5th tier (National League) - which in can be promoted to the 4th tier - League Two.  Crystal right?

All moot for Jackson as they lost and that game was the Eliminator A. Had they won they would have played in the semi-final Sunday against the 2nd place team who got a bye.  I only sort of know this because Oxford City (not to be confused with Oxford United) got the bye in other semi-final.

I guess to give some anecdotal context on players. Oxford City has a pretty young keeper on loan from Nottingham Forest.  He has like 1 or 2 caps for Bosnia-Herzegovina.

In the end, the  playoff final winner and outright season winner go up along with the same from the National League North ... to the National League who relegate 4 teams.

Not the most confusing system but they do their best.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 hours ago, Shway said:

Reason why I was asking is because I play OSL, which is just below L1O except as we know there’s no pyramid but fees to be accepted.

This is a higher level than OSL I’d say - it probably features a lot of clubs you’ve heard of. 1 tier below Wrexham and a level higher than where Nathan Mavila played for reference. 

10 hours ago, Shway said:

I use to go to about 5 matches a season at this level before Bromley was promoted and it’s a good standard. This was about 10 years ago but I thought the good centre backs would have been very useful in MLS, so a much higher than OSL (assuming that is the league that the senior TFC academy use to play in). 

Ollie Bassett was bouncing around the Southern Football League, the 7th tier in the english pyramid and two years later, he wins the CPL MVP. He's certainly got better between then and now, and the CPL has upped their level as well, but I think you have to a bit lower than that to find a comparable english league to L1O.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Good for him. He is one of the most endearing success stories of all time from our player pool. From the lower divisions he worked his way up, earning promotion to and then scoring in the Premier League, and then shifting back to his lower division roots, where he finished his career as a very respectable kind of football everyman. All the while accepting the calls to Canada whenever needed and always putting in an honest effort for his country.

Congratulations on a brilliant career, Simeon!

Does anybody know of any other player (doesn't have to be Canadian) to do this in the English system in consecutive seasons?

2008/2009 - scores in League Two
2009/2010 - scores in League One
2010/2011 - scores in Championship
2011/2012 - scores in Premier League

Obviously lots of guys score in a lower division and then make the jump to a higher division. No doubt there are plenty who scored in League Two and then the following year in the Premier League. But it's just crazy to me how he did one step every year, through the 4 top English leagues.

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

Does anybody know of any other player (doesn't have to be Canadian) to do this in the English system in consecutive seasons?

2008/2009 - scores in League Two
2009/2010 - scores in League One
2010/2011 - scores in Championship
2011/2012 - scores in Premier League

Obviously lots of guys score in a lower division and then make the jump to a higher division. No doubt there are plenty who scored in League Two and then the following year in the Premier League. But it's just crazy to me how he did one step every year, through the 4 top English leagues.

Vardy maybe?