Simeon Jackson

Wingback6

Short article in the paper today. Nothing new, summary of what the author says:

- the move is good for all sides, since Jackson's chances to see the field again were "close to zero"

- Jackson has his strenghts, but couldn't adapt to Bundesliga play and Eintracht's system at all

- he looked increasingly isolated within the team due to not speaking German [my note: there's only one other player in the team who isn't fluent in German, and all but one of the other players are native German speakers - I don't know how much of a factor this really might have been].

• 3 months later...

This guy did not increase his stock in the latest Canada - Bulgaria game. I am guessing he will and up on a English Championship team this summer. He seems to have most of his success there. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another contract with Millwall as he had 14 appearances since February and was part of the team to keep them out of the relegation spot.

• 1 year later...

Some interesting recent comments from Yallop:

When asked about Simeon Jackson’s training stint with the Fire, Yallop pointed out that the Canadian striker’s discovery rights belong to the Vancouver Whitecaps. He also said that having Jackson, who was recently released by Coventry City, has benefited a shorthanded Chicago squad.  “It was good to have him in because he’s helped out,” Yallop said.

So ridiculous that Vancouver owns his rights.  There is 0% chance of them signing him at this point, which means there is 0% chance of him playing in our domestic league... frustrating to say the least, the whole discovery process needs reviewed.  Just like Vancouver having to give Toronto considerations for Techera's signing.. and I'm a TFC fan.

I agree that MLS "discovery rights" amount to locking up players you can't sign due to salary cap or have no place for in order to extort something from the team that wants that player. Totally bogus MLSism. That said it is usually a pittance of allocation money to make things happen so no real roadblocks preventing it.

What do the Fire fans have against him? It's not like their team is setting the league on fire. They are last or second to last in the entire freaking league. Getting someone like Jackson would be good for Chicago and he would be getting steady playing time. Dumb Fire fans.

Depending on the price I could see the Caps interested in Jackson. They have some gaps on the wing that an ageing Rosales and one way play (offense) from Techera don't seem to fill for the long term. Jackson at 28 is prime.

Anyone know what he was making in Europe?

Edited by TRM

Well their logic was "we're last place and getting jackson, nyc is last place and getting pirlo"

Yes, it has nothing to do with Jackson per se.  It's more a comparison with all the other teams signing Kaka, Lampard, Villa etc. and they are going after a "non-name".  I highly doubt any of them know more about Jackson than what you would find on his Wikipedia page.

Well their logic was "we're last place and getting jackson, nyc is last place and getting pirlo"

Pirlo, with all due respect to the guy (he's a great player IMHO) is 36 years old. Jackson is 28. Uggg. These "big name" fans drive me nuts. Yes I'm sure Pirlo could still bring it for some games but he is past the best before date. Injuries will take longer to heal. I'll take a 28 year old in his prime any time even if he never achieved the lofty heights of a 36 year old.

I'd take a guy who started in the Champions League Final vs a guy who was just released from Coventry City any day (or at least for this half season). 

This. Simeon hasn't done a lot in the past 2 years. If I wasn't a Canadian supporter, I'd probably say the same thing. I don't know what Simeon can bring now to an MLS team. (Let's just say that 2-3 years ago, I'd say something else)

I'd take a guy who started in the Champions League Final vs a guy who was just released from Coventry City any day (or at least for this half season). 

Okay I agree on that one but there in lies the rub. You've got to find one of these types every year just about to keep going. The 28 year old may not work out but if he does you've got stability for 3+ years. 

That and for a salary capped league you've got to find the roses in the muck. Whether that is taking a chance on a young player or it may be hoping a  28 year old will rebound to his previous form but you have to take chances. A 36 year old you're just hoping he can stay uninjured.

Edited by TRM

Focusing a little too much on the name Pirlo here.  There are plenty of guys coming over that aren't 36, to MLS clubs as well.  And as a supporter, it's not all about the players' ability.  If I'm supporting FC Edmonton, for example, and they sign Lampard I'm thrilled because now I know the stands around me are finally going to be packed night in, night out...

The lad needs some confidence.  Perhaps under Yallop he can come alive and nick some goals.  Would be great for him (and us).  Chicago fans would be worried if there was DP money attached, but for non-DP money, why not spend on some players to add competition to the forward lines.

• 1 month later...

Since Jackson was not offered a contract from the Fire does this mean he can sign somewhere else in MLS? 

Yes he can.....however the Fire would probably have to receive some sort of compensation (40K allocation) if any other team in the MLS wanted to sign him.

Shit I would take Jackson, at half of Findleys salary at TFC.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/06/24/david-accam-shaun-maloney-injured-chicago-fire-welcome-mike-magee-back

Per Yallop: "Signing him outright would be complicated, as the Vancouver Whitecaps hold a discovery claim on the player and would need to be compensated by Chicago in order for the Fire to bring him in full-time."

Yes he can.....however the Fire would probably have to receive some sort of compensation (40K allocation) if any other team in the MLS wanted to sign him.

Could he therefore be signed by Vancouver without compensation to Chicago (assuming Vancouver wanted him)? I really don't understand all these MLS player rules...

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille