Simeon Jackson

Wingback6

Caught myself in a Simeon Jackson vortex on Youtube today.  Looks like his career is stumbling but he definitely made a minor name for himself in England with that 2nd promotion season at Norwich.  

I hope he finds his feet somewhere again, I wanna see him back in the Nats fold.

Didn't Jackson already try the MLS route, but was blocked because Vancouver held his rights? If so, I can't see MLS in the cards for him.

FC Edmonton are thin up front right now after the release of Jonke. Wonder if Jackson would consider playing in Edmonton?

He Trialed with Chicago Fire under Frank Yallop. The supporters were less then impressed and then I believe they signed former TFC DP Gilberto.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

That's sad news.

"Simeon Jackson is going to move on. He’s a great lad and been excellent around the place and consistent in his training and personality, he just needs a run of games, he hasn’t really had the opportunity. He’s got great movement, Premiership standard in my opinion. He’s match fit and ready, he just needs to be guaranteed starts."

http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/article/lee-johnson-on-millwall-2875513.aspx

@Fussball_eh We have room for one more forward we could sign at the Fury right? ;) #bringSimeonhome

What do you guys think now of his chances of being at Camp Poutine in a month?

28 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

If Toronto can shed Like Moore I think Jackson would be an ideal RW for Toronto FC.  I think it's time for him to make a move to MLS.

Luke Moore is training with Villa right now; rumours he might leave for the UK.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/12/30/luke-moore-could-be-set-for-move-back-to-uk/

I would love for Simeon to replace him!

On 12/31/2015 at 11:33 AM, norvansupport said:

Whitecaps hold his discovery rights, so any move would to another team starts with Vancouver. 

How long do discovery rights last for?

In other news, Simeon is likely back in North America according to his twitter. I believe his mum lives in Jamaica and it is his aunt that lives in Mississauga, so he's likely enjoying some tropical sunshine in Jamaica.

So what does this mean in practical terms:

"The Caps also have picks and allocation money to play with, as well as the right of first refusal on Canadian international Simeon Jackson, who trained with the Fire last summer and seems eager to join MLS having not has his contract extended at League One club Barnsley."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/weber+should+whitecaps+trade+superdraft/11627549/story.html

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

But what does the "right of first refusal " mean in practical terms? - If he tries to go elsewhere.

I'm guessing if he comes to terms with a team in MLS the Whitecaps can sign him at those terms or refuse him, allowing him to sign with the club he had originally negotiated with.

Edited by mserson

44 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

But what does the "right of first refusal " mean in practical terms? - If he tries to go elsewhere.

That article is from a couple of days ago and is old. Weber has clarified that the Whitecaps do not have the right of first refusal. The Whitecaps no longer have Jackson's MLS discovery rights as they had in the past. They must have replaced him with somebody else on their list and decided to move on.

8 minutes ago, masster said:

That article is from a couple of days ago and is old. Weber has clarified that the Whitecaps do not have the right of first refusal. The Whitecaps no longer have Jackson's MLS discovery rights as they had in the past. They must have replaced him with somebody else on their list and decided to move on.

So right of refusal is the same as discovery rights? Did anybody else "buy" or "aquire" his rights? Or is he "free"?

I didn't grasp that the tweet from 6hrs ago was about that because of the terminology difference.

Some of these convoluted MLS rules belong in the (Don) garbage.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Weber uses those terms interchangeably, which in essence is the truth. If the player is on your discovery list, you have dibs, which is a right of first refusal. Putting right of first refusal in a newspaper article makes a lot more sense to the average reader than saying they are on a discovery list.

My understanding is that you are allowed x number of players on your discovery list. If I recall correctly, this list is submitted annually and you are allowed to make a certain number of changes to it each season. Why he is no longer on the Whitecaps list, we do not know. Perhaps he is no longer rated. Perhaps after Chicago had a look at him, the Whitecaps felt they could not parlay Jackson into another asset. Who knows? Whether another team has his 'rights' or whether he is currently 'free' is impossible to say because discovery lists are private. Whether another team has placed him on their list, we do not know.

8 minutes ago, masster said:

Whether another team has his 'rights' or whether he is currently 'free' is impossible to say because discovery lists are private. Whether another team has placed him on their list, we do not know.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. So a player could be on a team's list and not even know it? Strange.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. So a player could be on a team's list and not even know it? Strange.

I don't think so... I think the team has to have entered into contract discussions, or at least made a "serious inquiry" about the player with their agent, in order to be placed on a discovery list.

I'm not sure any inquiry is needed for a "discovery claim" to be placed on a player. To retain the discovery rights of a player if another team wants someone on your list you have to make a serious attempt to sign the player (i think this means a FMV contract offered) if not then they can force a trade through for 50k of allocation (think techeras rights from TFC to Whitecaps). I believe in the past teams have had players like ronaldo, messi, rooney etc on their discovery lists and i doubt any of the mls teams ever made an attempt to get those players.

• 2 weeks later...