Simeon Jackson

Wingback6

Discovery rights are idiotic.  The fact that each team has a list of players they "discovered" and therefore own their rights is laughable when they have invested nothing in the development of this player.  I wonder which team currently has discovery rights for Messi and Ronaldo?

Discovery rights are idiotic.  The fact that each team has a list of players they "discovered" and therefore own their rights is laughable when they have invested nothing in the development of this player.  I wonder which team currently has discovery rights for Messi and Ronaldo?

Probably LA and NYC, just like MLS would want.

Edited by king1010

his career has seemingly gone into a tailspin since 2012 though. The goals aren't coming and neither is much of an oppourtunity. Vancouver has to be up against the wall international spot wise, so it would be nice to see him get a shot at home.

Going to Germany was his big mistake. IIRC he has offers in the Championship he turned down and that probably would have been the right move in hindsight. Since that move to Braunschweig it seems like it's been non-stop catch up and not being able to fit in anywhere.

That last stretch of the … 2010/11(?) season with Norwich was absolutely amazing though. Won't forget those games against Derby County and Portsmouth any time soon.

Its worth noting that the CFL has a similar concept of a negotiation list where teams can but up to 45 players on it (generally Americans) and other teams cannot sign those players.  In the MLS, its only 7 per team for the discovery list. 

I think there is some merit to it.  It stops teams swooping in to sign a player where another team has put the time and effort into finding that player, cultivating their interest in the league, and offering them a credible deal.  If teams could do that without any financial impact, teams may not want to make the effort to "discover" players in leagues around the world who would increase the quality of play of the MLS.  Of course, its a restraint on trade but something the CFL has done for years and years and no one seems to make a big deal about it there.

Its worth noting that the CFL has a similar concept of a negotiation list where teams can but up to 45 players on it (generally Americans) and other teams cannot sign those players.  In the MLS, its only 7 per team for the discovery list. 

I think there is some merit to it.  It stops teams swooping in to sign a player where another team has put the time and effort into finding that player, cultivating their interest in the league, and offering them a credible deal.  If teams could do that without any financial impact, teams may not want to make the effort to "discover" players in leagues around the world who would increase the quality of play of the MLS.  Of course, its a restraint on trade but something the CFL has done for years and years and no one seems to make a big deal about it there.

The biggest difference here is that the CFL teams are actually scouting players out of college who have a chance of playing in the CFL because they might not make it in the NFL and are relatively unknown at the time of scouting (.you'll get the rare Timmy T or Michael Sam) In MLS for the most part its a fantasy draft where all of the biggest stars are on the board and the teams just randomly pick their names without any need to scout them on the small chance that they end up wanting to come to MLS some day. There is very little effort put into "discovering" Simeon Jackson, when he was in the EPL and a full Canadian international way before he was on Vancouver's list and their scouting most likely consisted of "oh hey, Simeon is in the EPL on Sportsnet today and he doesn't cost us an international spot, we should probably claim him". The probably is that Vancouver doesn't need him right now and is unlikely to sign him but other MLS teams that might (Chicago) can't because he's going to cost them allocation money. Ultimately its bad for the players and really limits their options and is another obstacle for Canadians to sign in MLS.

Not sure I agree, BradMack.  Discovery lists are only 7 players whereas the CFL are 45 players and there is a huge universe of soccer players around the world that are being scouted by MLS teams including a lot in central and south America (and not just the college players that MLS also has to scout for the draft purposes).  They deserve as much protection as the CFL teams.  And if you want to sign someone on another team's discovery list, it only costs you $50,000k which is not a lot if you are really interested.  Sure, I imagine that teams throw on players like Drogba when they sense they may make a move to the US but that didn't really seem to stop that transfer.  As for Jackson, Vancouver is using one of their 7 spots on him so I assume they rate him.  I really don't think its limiting his options that much if someone really wanted to sign him in the MLS.

Jackson would be a good fit for Vancouver in place of Hurtado. Hurtado has had ample opportunities to prove himself at RM and F and has declined every year. 

But is the cost difference worth it? At $700k that would take up another DP slot. Assuming he can be had for around Mattocks range (~$250k) then he could work if the rumours of Mattocks leaving are true. A salary capped league make decisions more difficult.

Rosales is old and good for 60 a game, I've never been sold on Techera and Hurtado is not learned the RM wing role the way that Manneh has for the left side so there is an opportunity there for someone to take the spot. It really comes down to how much Jackson wants. At 28 I'd love to have him as he is the right age, skills and durability for us. 

Yallop's talk is just rationalizing BS. For $50k allocation you can get a player's rights if you want it. He was probably more concerned about losing and international spot. Speaking of which where is that action that Garber was yapping about? But I digress.

Edited by TRM

But is the cost difference worth it? At $700k that would take up another DP slot. Assuming he can be had for around Mattocks range (~$250k) then he could work if the rumours of Mattocks leaving are true. A salary capped league make decisions more difficult.

I would think he would not be in the market for $700k - that was at his peak - I'm sure his salary expectation is in line with your lower figure right now.

Think Simeon would be an expensive waste for the whitecaps tbh. Not sure he offers anything more than what we already have, and there is no point bringing anyone in unless they are in the least potentially alot better than our current players. Surely better options out there for the price domestic player or not. 

I would be happy to see him in the MLS, just not at Vancouver. 

I can't see him bringing any more to MLS than, say, an Issey Nakajima at the moment. Bubble/bench player at best. Wouldn't hurt as a Canadian under contract, though, as long as the price is reasonable.

What happened to him, anyways? Just lost all confidence or were there other factors behind the scenes?

Edited by nolando

If I remember correctly, he was always a fringe player at the Championship level that happened to start scoring big goals. Wasn't Norwich in League 1 when he helped them promote? Then they went up a level and he became a bench player until the end of the season when again he scored some big goals. But the constant struggle to find playing time and the amount of time he spent in the lower leagues suggests he was never a great player. A clutch player with a lot of heart, but not a star by any means.

I know he got time in the Premier League and scored, but again he was on the fringe.

I was always a big fan so hope he finds a team.

It is difficult to determine his level at the Championship because he was only there one season w Norwich. I know he's been since, but the circumstances were not in his favour to try and establish himself there. IIRC he started that season w Norwich with plenty of games, was relegated to being a sub through the winter and early spring, Canada played that game against Belarus (IIRC) that sounded like a real stinker, and the guy comes back to Norwich with new attackers signed and scores a hat trick in the last 20 mins of a game. From that point he was undeniable and scored something like 13 goals over a 10 game stretch (no wiki!)

I would say he should be a solid League One player - which we should note that Bradley Wright-Phillips would also be considered such.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/06/24/david-accam-shaun-maloney-injured-chicago-fire-welcome-mike-magee-back

Per Yallop: "Signing him outright would be complicated, as the Vancouver Whitecaps hold a discovery claim on the player and would need to be compensated by Chicago in order for the Fire to bring him in full-time."

Since when was Jackson from Uruguay?

• 3 months later...

Interesting interview mostly about his musical choices but some interesting career and CanMNT things:

http://beatsandrhymesfc.com/simeon-jackson-interview-canada-striker-sketching-the-game-and-groove-theories/

Things are tough for him at Barnsley:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4738379/No-action-for-Simeon-Jackson.html

he has been getting more playing time since then but Barnsley keep losing so not a good sign...

When his contract is up January 3rd, do you think he will try MLS? Would he be a starter in MLS?

Right now he's having trouble with a team that's in the League One relegation zone; is he maybe NASL level?

I think that if what he wants most is minutes, if De Guzman can go from La Liga to NASL, Jackson could go from Premier League to NASL and be a starter.

A few guys from India have been tweeting at my account, saying he is rumoured to go to Kerala Blasters in the Indian Super League. I keep telling people that he is too young to go, considering the level he can potentially play at. But who knows?

I just wonder why he would go there because ISL is a 3 month season. I don't think that it's because he's too young, but what would he do for the other 9 months?