Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

28 minutes ago, shermanator said:

As soon as I heard his name in the mix I thought it would be him. I know a lot of people will bash the hire because a lot of people bash everything the CSA does but I like it.

I don't think there's that many really bashing him. And for those that are, I think it's mostly because of his passport (be it he's not Canadian or he is American, take your pick).

1 minute ago, jhoops__ said:

Be fun to see the boys press like hell!!

The thing I like most about this is if we are going to press we certainly have the speed to do it with. 

I wanted the risk of Bobby but I'll take Marsh now as opposed to watching Biello for even one more game!

Interesting tidbit from the press release:

The appointment of Marsch is assisted by major philanthropic contributions from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs – Vancouver Whitecaps, Joey Saputo, and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment – and supplemented by other private donors. In recognition of their significant philanthropic support, Marsch’s position will be formally titled as the MLS Canada Men’s National Team Head Coach during the term of his initial contract. This type of donor recognition is common at universities and hospitals, in NCAA sports, and is starting to be used in the Canadian sport system – for example, with the Stollery Family Women’s National Team Head Coach support at Golf Canada.

These commitments are part of a forthcoming major gifts program that will provide Canadian philanthropists with a structured opportunity to support Canada Soccer programs of all types – including the Men’s and Women’s National Team systems, from youth teams up through the senior national teams.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

The appointment of Marsch is assisted by major philanthropic contributions from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs – Vancouver Whitecaps, Joey Saputo, and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment – and supplemented by other private donors. In recognition of their significant philanthropic support, Marsch’s position will be formally titled as the MLS Canada Men’s National Team Head Coach during the term of his initial contract. This type of donor recognition is common at universities and hospitals, in NCAA sports, and is starting to be used in the Canadian sport system – for example, with the Stollery Family Women’s National Team Head Coach support at Golf Canada.

These commitments are part of a forthcoming major gifts program that will provide Canadian philanthropists with a structured opportunity to support Canada Soccer programs of all types – including the Men’s and Women’s National Team systems, from youth teams up through the senior national teams.

Our Boy Blue!!!

Good luck to him. Easily the best of those left on the list. 

Not very excited to say the very least. He should be motivated though. I am glad it's finalized and he can get to work showing us what he has got and proving doubters wrong.

16 minutes ago, RS said:

Probably part of what took so long.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Either way this is great news but I wonder if Biello stays on as an assistant still or is he gone, gone? Or I wonder if Marsch hires his own staff?

I'd expect he brings in Franz Schiemer, whom he brought to Leeds and worked with previously at RB. He is currently in an "advisor role" for *Young Violets in Austria.

Beyond that I'm not sure. He isn't going to grab Chris Armas again I imagine! 

I'd be very shocked if Biello doesn't remain on the staff. They know each other well and worked together at the Impact.

Edited by toontownman

19 minutes ago, RS said:

This is better news than the hiring.

Blue refuses to be hemmed in by CSA/CSB nonsense.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Part of me is fine with Marsch as manager but the donations from the MLS owners feel very, very bad to me. Feels like preference will be shifted over to their players for future roster builds, but perhaps my tea leaves are suggesting something that isn't there.

Finally someone who gets it...

5 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Oh Canadian soccer
Serious Brian Cox GIF by SuccessionHBO

Sadly, we'll never witness the online reaction if it was announced that CSB contributed to Smyrniotis salary - Never change Canada! Cheers!

scotch drinking GIF

Edited by Ansem