Group F Opponent Watch (Belgium, Croatia, Morocco)

I've been one of the more bullish posters during WCQ but this is a massive step up. The US & Mexico underperformed during the Octo especially scoring goals. I don't think our defense has really been tested yet. We need to inject some speed and height into our back 3/4. We can't rely on just 1 player (Vitoria/Henry) to deal with aerial defense with the likes of Lukaku etc. CR, Jamaica, Panama away & Mexico at home in the last 10mins was a small sample of how poor we were with crosses or set plays into the box. We could have been down multiple goals with the free headers those teams were given. Honduras at home outside the box (Borjan save) was another 

Phonzie will unleash the Kraken in the WC-missed 2 game windows and will make up for it at WC, his emotion when we qualified will be fuel to him

other teams are good -not going to split hairs re us V them, but this WC will be a coming out party for many of our lads 

M Borjan will be very focused on the Croatia game for reasons my Balkan brothers on this forum will know very well 

Edited by Markoaleks

Here is some pre-draw analysis on the three teams we drew facing Canada.

After that, grabbing the lowest ranked Pot 2 team in Croatia would be solid. This team remains formidable, but it's a far cry from the squad that made the 2018 World Cup final. Luka Modric can still boss games, but Canada would be an ideal matchup as a team that can absorb pressure and counter against a weak Croatia defense.

Pot 1 in general is loaded with extremely talented squads, so finding openings is difficult. Belgium, with its possession-based style of play, would be a good matchup for Canada who could hit on the counter, as stated above with Croatia.

In Pot 3 there are some dangerous teams, but an opening could be found with Morocco. The Atlas Lions had a good showing at the Africa Cup of Nations, but having to come from behind against 120th-ranked Malawi before conceding two goals to a negative Egypt attack shows the defense can be beaten.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/canada-world-cup-draw-scenarios/oknfqeke4ean0nwnlgghdlcx

47 minutes ago, Rougeisthecolour said:

Here is some pre-draw analysis on the three teams we drew facing Canada.

After that, grabbing the lowest ranked Pot 2 team in Croatia would be solid. This team remains formidable, but it's a far cry from the squad that made the 2018 World Cup final. Luka Modric can still boss games, but Canada would be an ideal matchup as a team that can absorb pressure and counter against a weak Croatia defense.

Pot 1 in general is loaded with extremely talented squads, so finding openings is difficult. Belgium, with its possession-based style of play, would be a good matchup for Canada who could hit on the counter, as stated above with Croatia.

In Pot 3 there are some dangerous teams, but an opening could be found with Morocco. The Atlas Lions had a good showing at the Africa Cup of Nations, but having to come from behind against 120th-ranked Malawi before conceding two goals to a negative Egypt attack shows the defense can be beaten.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/canada-world-cup-draw-scenarios/oknfqeke4ean0nwnlgghdlcx

Regarding the bold, I don't disagree in a vacuum, but this is conveniently ignoring Brozovic and Kovacic in midfield. Those two guys are absolute beasts and really good firemen.

12 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Regarding the bold, I don't disagree in a vacuum, but this is conveniently ignoring Brozovic and Kovacic in midfield. Those two guys are absolute beasts and really good firemen.

I agree. I have seen quite a bit of Kovacic and he can be a special player most games. It's going to be fun!

22 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Those firemen will be useless against our napalm offense.