Group F Opponent Watch (Belgium, Croatia, Morocco)

1 hour ago, TOCanada115 said:

I watched the 1st leg against Congo, and Congo should have scored 4 goals in that game. Small sample size, but I was left shocked that a team with players like that on Morocco, got worked by Congo. In the end, it ended 1-1, so IFS, ANDS, or BUTS I guess. 

North African teams almost always lose when they play in West Africa, it is kind of their version of Central America (swap San Pedro Sula for Kinshasa, etc.). DR Congo has some decent players too. 

22 minutes ago, gator said:

I don't watch much EPL if QPR aren't in the league which isn't often but I caught the Man City-Liverpool match on Sunday, what a fantastic display of attacking football from both sides, it was a great watch but my underlying thought throughout was how the hell are we ever going to deal with De Bruyne?

image.png.97cda2cb0c97275503b2211a9ddeb098.png

Edited by pod818

11 hours ago, JamboAl said:

And after watching Modric turnaround the semifinal against Chelsea, how are we going to handle him?  This and the De Bruyne show on Sunday is why I’m so thrilled to see our boys play the big guns in Qatar.

He's still a master, that pass for the goal was unbelievable, outside of his foot 25 metres, perfectly placed. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's still a master, that pass for the goal was unbelievable, outside of his foot 25 metres, perfectly placed. 

Fortunately he won’t be passing to a Real Madrid forward.  Croatia suffers from a goal scoring problem so even with that amazing midfield, we can take them.  To a lesser extent, it’s the same for Belgium… De Bruyne doesn’t have the same effect with Belgium as he has with Man City (lack of familiarity, lesser quality).

3 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Fortunately he won’t be passing to a Real Madrid forward.  Croatia suffers from a goal scoring problem so even with that amazing midfield, we can take them.  To a lesser extent, it’s the same for Belgium… De Bruyne doesn’t have the same effect with Belgium as he has with Man City (lack of familiarity, lesser quality).

Lukaku definitely has enough to make it a long night for our back line. Croatia less so, though Perisic is still very much capable of being dangerous. Without anything close to a Rolls Royce at the back, we'll have to be extremely organized at the back not to concede against either of those teams. I really don't have much hope for Belgium but I'm hopeful we could sneak a 2-1 against Croatia.

Just using the excuse of De Bruyne and Carrasco to not talk about Belgium at all: that was a real piece of garbage last night, but a fun piece of garbage to watch. It was not even quality trash, it was run of the mill. 

Two lessons: Atlético always plays like that, they are either wonderfully coached or terribly coached on so many levels, but occasionally they get a trophy out of it. I've seen them play marvellously, when it works. Most of their guys are worse for their club than for their country (Koke is wonderful and actually has talent for Spain; more to the point, Carrasco plays without seeming to be on his meds for Belgium).  Otherwise, they are not even able to make decent passes out of the back. Okay Wanda, amazing fans, after the match, those ten minutes, wonderful. And have to say, the Bayern fans were also very noble in defeat the other day. Admirable both sets of supporters. And Simeone, that is how he is where he is (also the highest paid manager in football).

Then the Pep team. Well sure, they were too damn nice last year in the CL final, and in general Pep is a mannerist (small m, but I can do the art history explanation if you like). He diddles and fiddles on the same principles and gets a lot out of players who buy in. He also does not like players with the character to play games like yesterday's, so he has to convert the ones he has. Like Foden, who is a little shit as well as being a great player, one of my favourites. As a tough little talented shit I actually like him even better.

But in these two legs Pep was dragged down into the mud and really, if Simeone is a master of the shithousery, Man City spent 112 minutes in a shithouse of their own making last night. I think it is probably good because they just had a high intensity with Liverpool and get another this weekend. Then they have to fit in that Wolves fixture, otherwise, for the league they have a decent schedule but could be rather exhausted and stressed out. So they are going to have to do the harikari cuts and play with their guts in their hands. 

Back to the topic: did De Bruyne play last night? Were Eustaquio, Oso and Hutch watching?

On 4/12/2022 at 1:00 PM, pod818 said:

image.png.97cda2cb0c97275503b2211a9ddeb098.png

The biggest mystery to me is how a guy like Neymar gets so much press for his play and DeBruyne goes under the radar.  Perhaps cause of his injury record?  There is no one in the world I prefer to watch the past 3-4 years than DeBruyne, the guy is just spectacular in every way AND NO DRAMA.  

3 hours ago, costarg said:

The biggest mystery to me is how a guy like Neymar gets so much press for his play and DeBruyne goes under the radar.  Perhaps cause of his injury record?  There is no one in the world I prefer to watch the past 3-4 years than DeBruyne, the guy is just spectacular in every way AND NO DRAMA.  

Neymar is probably the most overrated footballer in the history of the sport. He's a good to very good player who's been hyped as a generational superstar for more than a decade. He's never managed to justify the hype, but has somehow sustained it, despite the obvious evidence that he's not all that. And, on top of it all, he usually comes across as a cunt of a bloke, as well.

De Bruyne is the real deal. The 'Staq has his work cut out for him if we're going to shock the world with an opening win against the Belgians.

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Neymar is probably the most overrated footballer in the history of the sport. He's a good to very good player who's been hyped as a generational superstar for more than a decade. He's never managed to justify the hype, but has somehow sustained it, despite the obvious evidence that he's not all that. And, on top of it all, he usually comes across as a cunt of a bloke, as well.

I don't depute that Neymar is overrated or that he garners more attention than De Bruyne, who by comparison is underappreciated, but I will call BS on him not being a generational superstar. He is literally that player for arguably the best national side in the world, Brazil. He's scored a whopping 71 in 117 games for them. No other Brazilian player even comes close. He will likely pass Pele (possibly at the World Cup) this year as Brazil's top all time scorer. I mean, if that doesn't say "generational superstar" I don't know what does.

I have all the time and respect for De Bruyne in the world. And I don't think you need to overstate the hype Neymar gets to appreciate the brilliance of De Bruyne. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I don't depute that Neymar is overrated or that he garners more attention than De Bruyne, who by comparison is underappreciated, but I will call BS on him not being a generational superstar. He is literally that player for arguably the best national side in the world, Brazil. He's scored a whopping 71 in 117 games for them. No other Brazilian player even comes close. He will likely pass Pele (possibly at the World Cup) this year as Brazil's top all time scorer. I mean, if that doesn't say "generational superstar" I don't know what does.

I have all the time and respect for De Bruyne in the world. And I don't think you need to overstate the hype Neymar gets to appreciate the brilliance of De Bruyne. 

As much as you can judge these things from the distance we have, De Bruyne seems the classier/somewhat less divey bloke.  Easier to support as a neutral for me.  But obviously Neymar can play. 

Overall, De Bruyne can be quiet mostly because of carrying injuries.  We need to hope him and Lukaku and even people like Benteke don't show their best.  Their defence, centre backs at least the ones I know, are older and slower these days. I never rated Martinez as a manager in England, almost think he should have won a trophy already with the group of players he has had.  Time for a Herdman master class. But what do I know.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

53 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

It might be the sour taste in my mouth left by the Panama game, but is anyone getting less and less optimistic about making rumblings in this group?  I’ve been on the wild ride of ‘just happy to be here’ to ‘hey, we might do something here!’ to ‘hmm I better relax on that’ 😆

You really expected them to come out flying in that Panama game? After clinching a WC appearance against Jamaica? After the euphoria of the Jamaica game.  Really you're gonna place all your shattered expectations on the Panama game?

I'm sorta glad they lost that game. As a team they'll be more ready for WC games.  They'll have learned from their mistake. Chances are they won't fall prey to any emotional peaks and valleys during the World Cup.

53 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

It might be the sour taste in my mouth left by the Panama game, but is anyone getting less and less optimistic about making rumblings in this group?  I’ve been on the wild ride of ‘just happy to be here’ to ‘hey, we might do something here!’ to ‘hmm I better relax on that’ 😆

Canada was not prepared for the Panama match. Herdman let the boys glow in the moment as the moment overtook the training/preparation. Celebrations with family and friends at the downtown Toronto steakhouse after the big win against Jamaica. Drake in the house. Appearance at the Raptors vs. Celtics game the following night at Scotia Bank arena. Quick traiing session the following morning  at BMO and an afternoon flight to Panama and then arriving and doing a quick walk through. 

I had a similar few days as the CMNT. Flight into Toronto - Canada v Jamaica match, food and beer at the Frickin on Yonge, Raptors v Celtics game, quick walk around downtown Toronto, afternoon flight to Winnipeg. I was tired!

The point is that's not the traditional training regimen that Herdman has had the team under. He let the boys loose and rightfully so. We are in tough for sure but results are possible and I highly doubt the boys will be out and about in Qatar. 

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

My expectations are definitely tempered with the reality of our boys attending our first World Cup in three decades.  Many are talking like we are a lock to get out of the group which is ludicrous.  We play 2 teams that finished in the top 4 last WC.  Yes they are older but they have repeatedly been there and done that.  Most of our boys have never experienced that level of pressure or anything even close. Often in sports you need to experience the pinnacle of your sport before being better able to handle it when you get back.  Don’t get me wrong I think we could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th, but talking like we are a lock to get out is foolish.  

On 4/14/2022 at 5:15 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just using the excuse of De Bruyne and Carrasco to not talk about Belgium at all: that was a real piece of garbage last night, but a fun piece of garbage to watch. It was not even quality trash, it was run of the mill. 

Two lessons: Atlético always plays like that, they are either wonderfully coached or terribly coached on so many levels, but occasionally they get a trophy out of it. I've seen them play marvellously, when it works. Most of their guys are worse for their club than for their country (Koke is wonderful and actually has talent for Spain; more to the point, Carrasco plays without seeming to be on his meds for Belgium).  Otherwise, they are not even able to make decent passes out of the back. Okay Wanda, amazing fans, after the match, those ten minutes, wonderful. And have to say, the Bayern fans were also very noble in defeat the other day. Admirable both sets of supporters. And Simeone, that is how he is where he is (also the highest paid manager in football).

Here we see the subject go back to stage 2, anger, lashing out and criticizing another club and its players, most likely out of misplaced frustration over his own club losing its Europa League tie to Eintracht Frankfurt. 

On 4/15/2022 at 12:21 PM, Macksam said:

Here we see the subject go back to stage 2, anger, lashing out and criticizing another club and its players, most likely out of misplaced frustration over his own club losing its Europa League tie to Eintracht Frankfurt. 

UT's post was almost 12 hours prior to the Barca loss.