Group F Opponent Watch (Belgium, Croatia, Morocco)

5 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I didn’t realize how”European” the Morocco team is… majority of players not born in Morocco (France, Spain, Netherlands Belgium).

Brah...you just start following the sport? The running joke four years ago when the Dutch failed to qualify was that they actually did qualify....they were just called Morroco.

7 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Ive seen Morrocco play in this years AFCON they did look really good and were a bit unlicky vs Egypt in the quarters.

This will no doubt be disappointing news for Brad Marchand.

Here are the lowlights from our previous match against them (a 4-0 defeat), which despite being a die-hard supporter of this time for about 40 years, I have absolute no recollection of even though this match was played just 5 and a half years ago. It apparently was played in October 2016, just after we were eliminated from reaching the Hex & as such we don't have a manager for this match (Floro had left, so Michael Findlay was there as caretaker). All four goals were extremely easily preventable. Only a few players left from this squad - Borjan, Piette & Osorio by the looks of it - but I hope in vain Morocco uses this as their main source/impression of Canada:

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Vahid-halilhodzic-maroc-apres-le-tirage-au-sort-de-la-coupe-du-monde-on-ne-viendra-pas-en-touristes/1325474

Morocco manager Vahid says they will not be going to Qatar as tourists. Nonetheless, acknowledges that it is a difficult group.

He is an interesting and very polarizing character, who has gotten into disputes with local media and players at every stop on his international circuit. He also has gotten results however, qualifying Algeria, Japan, and now Morocco to the World Cup.

He was Algeria's manager when they made the Round of 16 back in 2014 and gave Germany a tough go. In Japan, he was fired right before the World Cup because of media criticism of his tactics and dropping big name players.  Similar dynamic exists in Morocco, where he's dropped Ziyech and Mazroui after high profile clashes. Worth watching what happens to that story and if it disrupts their camp before November.

Edited by BigMo

Indeed BigMo...The morocco manager is indeed not well liked by some Moroccans, the Moroccans I know here in Quebec (mind you not a big sample) they really really hate him and want him fired yesterday. So yeah a bit of adversity could be quickly amplified. 

15 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I wonder if anyone knows what the game times will be on Eastern Time because in Qatar games will be at night most likely so here in Canada in Toronto time I wonder if anyone knows what time games will be on?

Opening game for Canada against Belgium is going to be 6:00 am EST. I believe the games will be 6, 11 and 3 for EST bros. 

14 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Anyone else think this group has a WC2014 England, Italy, Uruguay, Costa Rica vibe to it?

Yes.

On 4/1/2022 at 12:05 PM, narduch said:

Croatia and Belgium both qualified by topping their groups.

Morocco qualified without really playing any team of note. They won the group stage easily (versus Guinea-Bissau, Guinea & Sudan) and then played DR Congo in the final round.

This feels like qualifying through concacaf without facing the top 3. 

17 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Here are the lowlights from our previous match against them (a 4-0 defeat), which despite being a die-hard supporter of this time for about 40 years, I have absolute no recollection of even though this match was played just 5 and a half years ago. It apparently was played in October 2016, just after we were eliminated from reaching the Hex & as such we don't have a manager for this match (Floro had left, so Michael Findlay was there as caretaker). All four goals were extremely easily preventable. Only a few players left from this squad - Borjan, Piette & Osorio by the looks of it - but I hope in vain Morocco uses this as their main source/impression of Canada:

I have this jersey. Wore it proudly at Bc place watching them beat piece of shit honduras. 

22 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Then I have good news for you...all over different social media, the result of this game is all that they are talking about to taunt us. lolll. Honestly, like you I absolutely have 0 recollection this game ever took place. They have a pretty decent team on paper, and if Ziyech changes his mind and comes back, they will be even better.

I haven't seen many of their games and they did have an easier qualification route; the manager is very polarizing and many don't like him. In a way that could really be the x factor for us in this match-up. We know that Herdman and his staff do a full analysis of every opponent they play. If this coach is a hard headed old school coach that is polarizing, and if they get 2 bad results in their first 2 games, it could amplify their frustration with this manager.

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wonder how long this thread is going to last. Reading it makes me worried about facing a team with Achraf combining with Lukaku up high and trying to control Modric and De Bruyne in the midfield. 

All I'm saying: we'll probably be splitting it within a few weeks. 

That actually is a good idea to have 1 thread per opponent