Group F Opponent Watch (Belgium, Croatia, Morocco)

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I love the game times

Hey @TGAA_Star, did you see the speculation about Iñaki Williams from Bilbao possibly making a switch to play for Ghana? I don't know the details, he plays for the Basques because he's Basque, but I suppose the family has Ghanian roots. His little brother Nico might also be eligible.

Iñaki supposedly denied this, but then reports keep coming out.

Iñaki is a fast striker, maybe not a great finisher but could be an asset. Nico might be too young still to want to commit to anything but Spain.

https://sportsbrief.com/football/ghana-black-stars/14518-spanish-born-striker-inaki-williams-hints-at-possible-switch-of-allegiance-to-ghana/

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hey @TGAA_Star, did you see the speculation about Iñaki Williams from Bilbao possibly making a switch to play for Ghana? I don't know the details, he plays for the Basques because he's Basque, but I suppose the family has Ghanian roots. His little brother Nico might also be eligible.

Iñaki is a fast striker, maybe not a great finisher but could be an asset. Nico might be too young still to want to commit to anything but Spain.

https://sportsbrief.com/football/ghana-black-stars/14518-spanish-born-striker-inaki-williams-hints-at-possible-switch-of-allegiance-to-ghana/

There are actually a few different rumors of players joining up with the Ghana team for the world cup because of lineage. Including Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea), Tariq Lamprey (Brighton), Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal), in addition to Inaki Williams as you mentioned. So Ghana does have the potential to become a dark horse.

53 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If he comes to us we become more dangerous as a squad 

23 minutes ago, A.D.I.D.A.S. said:

Morocco's Yassine Bounou kept Barça at bay in goal for Sevilla with some really good saves for 70 mins until a world class finish from Pedri.

I like to think I have some pretty tempered expectations, but I'm thinking that last group stage match is going to be a real battle.

Our result against Morocco won't matter after we beat Belgium and Croatia. 

We have Davies who is in many respects the perfect "best player" for us.  He can morph to be special defensively and offensively, and he has the pace, power and engine to be a force against any opponent.

Perhaps our next most important player is Eustaquio given the high level of the midfielders we face in group F.  Modric and DeBruyne are two of the best in the world.

This might be crazy, but I think it warrants discussion. Given our strength on the wings (Buchanon, Adekugbe, Laryea) would it make sense to try to pair Davies in the middle with Eustaquio?  

On 4/3/2022 at 6:09 PM, TGAA_Star said:

But yeah importantly you have to beat Belgium or draw against them to have any real chance in this group

I don't think that's necessarily the case.  I think there's a pretty good chance Belgium goes 3 - 0 in the group - and the battle will be to see who's best of the rest...   

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Canada if they finish 2nd in the group potentially in the Round of 16 you could face Spain or Germany and what a match up either match up would be provided Canada get out of the group stage

Yep, it will almost certainly be either Spain or Germany if we get out of the group.  And after we beat them, probably Brazil in the quarterfinal.

33 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

Yep, it will almost certainly be either Spain or Germany if we get out of the group.  And after we beat them, probably Brazil in the quarterfinal.

I wouldn't go that far on us beating Spain or even Germany...LOL too much of a tall task

36 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

All doable just like me with Selma Hayek.