Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As I rewatch that goal I realize how little his fault it was, he needed to make the stretch for the ball because if he doesn’t the guy behind him gets it anyway. He then made a incredible run and earned us a corner. You could tell he took it tough and I really feel bad for the guy hopefully Herdman gives him playing time and he bounces back stronger, never a good way to start out, can really mess people up sometimes.

Yeah, I don’t really know what he was supposed to do there. Awful that you come on for your first game, at home, and like 5 minutes later you get an OG equalizer. Feel terrible for him, but the alternative would’ve been him taking himself out of the play which would’ve been worse. I really want to see him score a goal over the next two games to wash this away.

1 hour ago, Jack1997 said:

You could tell he took it tough and I really feel bad for the guy hopefully Herdman gives him playing time and he bounces back stronger, never a good way to start out, can really mess people up sometimes.

I thought the exact same thing, the kid should be shown some love in the very next game.  You can draw a parallel with Cyle Larin.  Early on with Brugge he missed a PK and the tone was set.  When he got to Valladolid, even before the first game, I knew he would do well.  When the coach tapped him on the cheek and said something like "we need you", you could tell Larin felt 10 ft tall.

Along similar lines, I believe it was just as Herdman was hired I made a post about the importance of the anthem singing and we came to find out Herdman put a level of importance on it.  In the USA game, that was not one of our best efforts, IMO it was less than usual and I recall being concerned.  But then the Americans didn't do much and I thought to myself ok we won the anthem but we had actually lost it to ourselves.

Wasn't able to watch the game Tuesday and even if Columbus fans aren't happy with him this has to be encouraging:image.png.e84dd413db17d2b5f427ef0c75b454e5.png

He's already in very good company and is doing everything well but scoring consistently while mostly working with limited minutes off the bench.

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Are Columbus fans unhappy with him? What’s there to be unhappy about? He’s barely played. It’s like if Montreal fans game up on Vilsaint

Every Columbus match thread on reddit the fans seem to be disappointed whenever he comes on/ the few times he starts.

Were they bothered about that angle with Guillermo Barros Schellotto? If he starts banging in the goals in a big way the fans will view him favourably. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't be reminded that c-o-l-o-u-r is how you %^&*ing spell colour and that we don't pay for health care any time TFC fans pay a visit.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Johnstone, Miller, and Vitoria got caught ball watching and let the player get all alone in front of the net. JRR tried to defend him but his poor decision was that he didn't get goal side of him, before the ball was played across. He started running to a spot and when the player was in his way he went around him to the left instead of to the right (going away from goal instead of towards the goal). Once he made that decision it was basically impossible to prevent the goal. Probably Vitoria was who should have gotten back there. He followed Zator out wide and was in no man's land instead of getting back to the net and covering the player who would have scored if not for JRR's own goal.

So in my opinion, JRR made a mistake, but ultimately he is a forward and it shouldn't have been up to him to stop the guy in the first place. Lots of blame to go around on that one.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

JRR deserves an thread bump up based on him playing very well after the own goal.

It was great to see Herdman trust him with more and more time. I definitely think he passed Brym on the depth chart. I think him, Bombito and obviously Ahmed are the key cap tie moves from this Gold Cup

He was involved in the play that gave us the PK and made the smart flick on to Shaff  on the play for his goal. 

He showed flashes in his limited minutes. His movement was good and his first touch was excellent. Like Bombito, he just needs first team minutes. Unfortunately I don’t see that happening much in Columbus so he likely needs a move.

1 hour ago, FC_Hali said:

He showed flashes in his limited minutes. His movement was good and his first touch was excellent. Like Bombito, he just needs first team minutes. Unfortunately I don’t see that happening much in Columbus so he likely needs a move.

It will be hard for him to displace Cucho, but Nancy has been giving him sub minutes.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

It will be hard for him to displace Cucho, but Nancy has been giving him sub minutes.

Furthermore, Cucho is just 24 and is a Colombian international with prior European experience (Watford and Udinese?). I wouldn't rule out him going back over there, which would open up a spot for JRR.