Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Larin bagged 17 goals as a 20 year old in MLS.  So..... I'd like to see JRR bag a dozen or so this season before we get to far along the replacement process.  I can see him doing that (hope he does) but we always get ahead of ourselves.  And Oluwaseyi has 3 goals already in 200+min..... if we are talking of guys getting primed...ohhh its nice to actually have a player pool.  

He's not playing as a striker for Columbus, so it is not really a valid expectation. 

I suppose some felt he was striker material at TFC, I am not sure. He plays behind Cucho Hernández who has 29 goals and 10 assists in 50 MLS league appearances. And beside Christian Ramírez who is fairly prolific in MLS scores once every 3-4 games. I don't think anyone should expect goal output from JRR, which is why I emphasised his linking play. 

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

I thought he had some verý good moments leading his side (whose home shirt is inspired by Charlie Brown's wardrobe).

He should have had an assist if his teammate had take his cut-back first time, and then he hit the bar with the header (so probably should have scored).  Still a solid game though.   

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Kid is dynamite. Continues to rack up the powerful, clinical strikes from distance and doesn't seem to be slowing down in the slightest. Off to the final.

Always love having someone to cheer for in a competition like this.

And nice problems to have: a Scottish team of year player,  a better than 1 in 3 man in the Championship and a couple MLS impact players vying for our backup spots at striker.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

5 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Always love having someone to cheer for in a competition like this.

And nice problems to have: a Scottish team of year player,  a better than 1 in 3 man in the Championship and a couple MLS impact players vying for our backup spots at striker.

Pretty amazing, I feel like last year this time we were feeling a little thin at striker with a lot of young potential, but nothing concrete (beyond David and Larin). How things change!

To be fair, Rayados was pushing hard to get goals and they hit them on the counter. 

As I have said, I really do think we are erring to put him into the striker conversation, he should be the linking guy behind the striker/s. And as we don't have a lot of those types for Canada, we have to consider it.

We had it on repeat this morn (live last night), and what you could see was that Monterrey really did not press, they just stood positionally in defensive position. But no press. So Columbus had time on the ball, and could control a lot of the play. Then Crew was tougher pressing and they got rewards like the first goal, where the keeper threw a lame short ball to a static mid who was like a statue on the play.

On 5/2/2024 at 7:05 AM, InglewoodJack said:

Really would love to see this Columbus team play European opponents. Feel like this is a roster that could do some serious damage in France. 

Too bad that we couldn't poach Morris.

So great seeing Russell-Rowe really hitting his stride.  I love the competition we now have going in our forward group.

Edited by BearcatSA

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Really would love to see this Columbus team play European opponents. Feel like this is a roster that could do some serious damage in France. 

This is the sort of thing I have though about a lot.  There are times where some MLS teams seem to ping a ball around in an impressive way and play some really fluid footy, and there are times where I am watching middling teams in "better" leagues play some pretty drab and uninspired footy.  It can sometimes be difficult (for me) to tell if this is due to the overall higher level of play in the upper league that sort of neutralizes the superior skill and makes it seem like things aren't as fast and crisp as you would expect, or if MLS has developed to such an extent that it could actually compete with some of these teams on a reasonably consistent basis.  Having some of the top 5-10 MLS teams play teams like mid-table French/Dutch/Portuguese clubs would be a really interesting and informative comparison.  

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is the sort of thing I have though about a lot.  There are times where some MLS teams seem to ping a ball around in an impressive way and play some really fluid footy, and there are times where I am watching middling teams in "better" leagues play some pretty drab and uninspired footy.  It can sometimes be difficult (for me) to tell if this is due to the overall higher level of play in the upper league that sort of neutralizes the superior skill and makes it seem like things aren't as fast and crisp as you would expect, or if MLS has developed to such an extent that it could actually compete with some of these teams on a reasonably consistent basis.  Having some of the top 5-10 MLS teams play teams like mid-table French/Dutch/Portuguese clubs would be a really interesting and informative comparison.  

This is the sequence that had me thinking of that:

https://x.com/tiagobrandao_8/status/1786034368361767110?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

I think 9 crew players touched the ball, no back passes to the keeper, slow build up, picked some really good spots and put it on a platter for Rossi. 

I think Crew will qualify for the club World Cup (I think?), so we may see them play some big European clubs, but it would be fun to have a sort of Europa/Europa Conference style lower tier world club competition so these types of clubs could regularly play internationally. I think the top MLS teams are a lot closer to “top 5 league” quality than people give them credit for. 

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

https://x.com/tiagobrandao_8/status/1786034368361767110?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

I think 9 crew players touched the ball, no back passes to the keeper, slow build up, picked some really good spots and put it on a platter for Rossi. 

I think Crew will qualify for the club World Cup (I think?), so we may see them play some big European clubs, but it would be fun to have a sort of Europa/Europa Conference style lower tier world club competition so these types of clubs could regularly play internationally. I think the top MLS teams are a lot closer to “top 5 league” quality than people give them credit for. 

That was nice, really sharp soccer.  Nancy's value keeps going up.

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

That was nice, really sharp soccer.  Nancy's value keeps going up.

Monterrey was really sagging off of Crew, I think good European club defenses would press a lot harder, but completely picking apart a top Mexican club and doing it via strategic buildup instead of a bunch of athletic moves is incredibly impressive. Nancy is going places, it's only a matter of time.

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

So that is a perfect sequence to illustrate what I commented above, the Rayados press. So soft. And then, when the ball finds the attacking mid at the centre circle, you see up to 5-6 Monterrey players on the wrong side of the ball just freeze, they give up defending entirely. A listless show before their own fans I'd say.

There is one qualifying slot left for Concacaf in the World Club Cup, and I think it is this year's ConcaChampions winner.

Then Concacaf, as host, get to appoint another team, discretionary. We all know who they'll want to choose, deserving or not. 

So I think to end the argument, if Columbus wins Concacaf champions then the region can be free to get Messi and co in there.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So that is a perfect sequence to illustrate what I commented above, the Rayados press. So soft. And then, when the ball finds the attacking mid at the centre circle, you see up to 5-6 Monterrey players on the wrong side of the ball just freeze, they give up defending entirely. A listless show before their own fans I'd say.

There is one qualifying slot left for Concacaf in the World Club Cup, and I think it is this year's ConcaChampions winner.

Then Concacaf, as host, get to appoint another team, discretionary. We all know who they'll want to choose, deserving or not. 

So I think to end the argument, if Columbus wins Concacaf champions then the region can be free to get Messi and co in there.

It’s such a strange sequence from Monterrey. At that point, they had just levelled the matchup, they’re a Mexican team at home, so they were basically in the lead, and on this game winning goal sequence, they’re asleep, at home. Columbus picked them apart, but that’s very poor defending from Monterrey which given the specific circumstances is just crazy. Not to take anything away from Columbus though, I think that sequence would work on a lot better défenses. That’s a team playing as a collective, being patient but still advancing.